1997 - 2003 F-150

intake manifold tuning valve adjustment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015 | 11:37 AM
|
intake manifold tuning valve adjustment.

Hey, some time ago i had posted a sct x4 5.4 tune on my 03 f150 supercrew 4.6, and it loaded up, the difference was night and day. The biggest difference was that the intake manifold tuning valve seemed to open sooner and pull harder at 2000-3000 rpm., there had always been a lag between 2000-3000 rpm until i loaded up the 5.4 tune. Ok here is the good part, i contacted mike at 5 star and talked to him about this, mike asked for my strategy and confirmed that the IMTV (intake manifold tuning valve) is adjustable. mike then created 2 tunes, one opens IMTV 500 rpm sooner and the other opens at 700, the IMTV in stock form starts to open at roughly 2800 rpm, the 500 rpm tune had the IMTV open at about 2300 rpm much better, then i tried the 700 rpm tune and bingo thats the ticket, no more throttle lag between 2000-3000 rpm. this 4.6 pulls hard through all rpm with no throttle lag at all. big difference between canned and custom email tunes, keep in mind that mike is in Florida and i am in British Columbia Canada. i ordered the tunes in the morning and received that night talk about great service, mike has a great deal going on for 87 tow tunes.

Old 12-23-2015 | 01:27 PM
....Thanks for reporting on the results your different tune points for the air control.
....There is not much written about the air control operation even in the normal Ford documentation I have access to.
....I have seen Dyno results on a modified motor, but for that application it was not very helpful open or closed in the lower RPM range.
....I have pulled the plug on the control motor and apparently there is no monitor in software on this function so no code that I have ever found in the list, addressing it. Likely because a failure would not have a huge effect on drivability in 'normal' driving.
.....It would be easy to manually test the effects of open and closed point at different RPM levels using some wire and a manual switch..
.....On my 02 4.6, I don't have an real lag and always see the torque really begin to build at about 2200 and above about 2400 rpm it's getting with the show real good.
.....By 3000 RPM the engine is pulling hard right to over 5000.
.....This seems to fit the expected torque and Hp profile.
.....The air control closed was supposed to help low end torque on these small displacement engines as the point of having the air control.
.....On the 4.2 V6, they have air control but in a different way.
.....Overall I have always been impressed with the performance of a 5500 lb truck with this small engine, without mods.
.....When the ambient temperature is down in the 35 to 50 degree range the torque and throttle response increase is quite noticeable.
.....Now at 242,000 miles, the motor still runs as new so I am going to ride it out just to see how far I can take it.
Good luck.

Old 12-23-2015 | 02:24 PM
|
the torque i felt at 3000 rpm in stock form is now at 2200 thanks to mike, my only mods r gotts intake and 2.5 cat back factory ordered 373 with 9.75 diff, and of course 5 star tuning. my previous 2 trucks have been 2003 f150 supercab 5.4 3.55 gears and 1999 supercab 5.4 3.55 gears, all three have had the same mods other then 5 star tuning, my current truck as of now pulls just as hard if not harder then the last 2, from my understanding the 4.6 2v pi is identical to the 5.4 2v pi other then the minor stroke increase in the 5.4 ? i like the aluminum intake on the 4.6 now with the imtv opening sooner. i have asked mike if he can create a tune with user adjustability for the imtv.

Old 12-23-2015 | 02:40 PM
|
oh i forgot to mention you can hear the intake more so now, it sounds like the old 4 barrel carbs, pretty cool, some of you guys might remember the old quad jet 4 barrel carbs they had huge secondaries sound just like that

Quick Reply: intake manifold tuning valve adjustment.