1997 - 2003 F-150

diagnosing front axle drive (4x4) on 1998 F-250

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015 | 07:22 PM
|
diagnosing front axle drive (4x4) on 1998 F-250

I've already yanked the 4.6L romeo out of my 1998, following the carnage from a broken spring which dropped a valve (possibly related to an overheat condition from a faulty heater core). I'm now about to pull the transmission to get ready for a 2004 4.6L with almost new transmission I will be receiving on SAT. Since I need to pull the front drive-shaft and transfer case first, I thought I would address an issue that has existed since acquiring the truck several years ago ... that being ... the 4x4 capabilities have NEVER worked.

I have never been able to move the 4x4 gear shift on the floor to make it seem like it is doing anything either. I will certainly pay attention to the gear shift linkages on the transfer case when I pull it. However, I did just notice something that struck me as a bit odd, so I thought I would ask you fine folk since I don't know if it is normal or not:

I was TRYING to unbolt the heavily rusted front drive-shaft from the front axle universal joint flange and I noticed that it pretty easily rotated in either direction, while the wheels remained stationary. In one direction, I heard clicking (not sure if inside the transmission or the transfer case) and in the other direction heard nothing. I'm guessing that is NOT normal, as how else could the front wheels be forced to turn? I assume that the 4x4 gear shift either tells the transfer case to be free-wheeling, in the 2 wheel drive case, or engaged in the 4x4 case. Either way, shouldn't the front wheels turn in direct relation to the front drive-shaft?

So ... what does this all mean? Could my front axle assembly be trashed?

Thanks for any thoughts in advance.

-Steve
Kissimmee, FL

Old 12-30-2015 | 07:35 PM
|
Seems that I might have asked a stupid question. I just found the section in the service manual that describes the operation of the manual 4WD. I didn't know the transmission had to be in neutral to actuate the shifter. I didn't know enough to try. Also, if I understand this correctly, there also seems to be an electromagnetic clutch mechanism inside the front axle assembly that disengages to allow the axle to turn with the front drive-shaft.

Its possible there's nothing wrong but user error here.

Old 12-31-2015 | 01:50 PM
Transmission does not have to be in neutral to go into 4 hi, just 4lo.

Old 12-31-2015 | 03:23 PM
glc
Is this the F-250 LD which looks like a F-150, or is it a Super Duty?

Quick Reply: diagnosing front axle drive (4x4) on 1998 F-250