1997 - 2003 F-150

New Paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 10:21 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Thought I'd post an update on my Maaco paint job. It still looks good EXCEPT the clear coat has started peeling off the camper shell. I have my receipt and rereading my posts, they evidently told me there was a 4 year guarantee. It's been just under 4 yrs so I plan to take it to the shop and see what they will do if anything. I'm glad I didn't let them paint my Magnum RT. I'm a little more particular about it.

Old 04-16-2022, 10:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Good luck with that.

My F150 is holding up very well after the rust problems were corrected by my local body guy. He knew how to fix stuff and make it not rust or rot. I'm quite impressed, that man has talent.

My '07 Jeep Compass is starting to show it's age on the doors and fenders. Not sure if I'll have him work on it or if I'm just going to cut it out with my die cut off, and bondo/fill it with fiberglass matting. Then paint it up with black Rustoleum.

My truck, I'm a little more particular about. lol

Also that Jeep is encroaching 400k miles, with the original clutch! Had both front/rear subframes replaced under the recall and they are perfect looking -- no rust! The underside is also immaculate. Whatever undercoating they used, should've been used on the doors and fenders, lol Personally, I'm not sure what I'm going to do when something like the engine, emissions, or transmission goes on it. It's been one heck of a vehicle though. Is it pretty? Heck no -- it's my work vehicle.

Getting to 500k miles will be a feat for this vehicle. Ask most Jeep Compass/Patriot/Caliber owners. It wasn't one of Chrysler/Fiat's brightest moments...

Old 04-17-2022, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Getting to 500k miles will be a feat for this vehicle. Ask most Jeep Compass/Patriot/Caliber owners. It wasn't one of Chrysler/Fiat's brightest moments...
Evidently, that 2.4L engine is a good one.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:18 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by Roadie
Evidently, that 2.4L engine is a good one.
Actually it is a good engine. It was about the only smart move they made.

Everything else is questionable -- especially the suspension!

But I'd deal with suspension problems than complicated tranny or engine issues. The grass isn't always greener on the other pasture is what I'm getting at for more vehicles.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Good luck with that.
HaHa! You were correct Sir! My Maaco receipt said there was a 5 year prorated warranty on the paint job. But, I went to their shop today and I was told that the warranty didn't cover "sun damage" and that I had to wax the paint 4 times annually to protect it. I almost decided to get them to paint my 2005 Dodge Magnum a couple of months ago. I'm so glad I didn't. I suppose they are a good paint shop for used car dealers and anyone else who doesn't plan to keep their vehicle very long.

Old 04-19-2022, 04:13 PM
Contributor
Interesting. How would you prove that you waxed it 4 times or more annually?

I know of someone who had their doors repainted by Maaco and they didn't use the correct hardener mix and the paint actually stayed soft well after it should've. Basically it was similar to plastic film. Didn't even adhere correctly. They told the owner something like they weren't supposed to drive their car for a week.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:43 PM
Oh, the waxing has no effect on the warranty. He was just trying to convince me that it was my fault the clearcoat is peeling off I suppose. The edge of the passenger door and the half door is discolored where my wife has been putting her hands on the paint in closing the doors and it won't polish out. I asked him if they used paint that had the hardener and he said all of their paint had hardener mixed in but I don't believe it. Anyway, the place uses shytty paint and it's for used car dealers in my opinion.

Last edited by Roadie; 04-19-2022 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: New Paint