1997 - 2003 F-150

Lock rear end while in 2wd??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019 | 12:25 AM
The first poster was asking about 97 to 03 models. Never use 4wd on pavement unless you are going straight.

Old 09-09-2019 | 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Roadie
The first poster was asking about 97 to 03 models. Never use 4wd on pavement unless you are going straight.
I realize what generation he was asking about.

The conventional wisdom you keep referring to comes from a time when 4WD trucks had straight axles and 4 leaf springs. The problems were more associated with the suspension than the drivetrain. Again, full time 4WD has been around for a long time and this has nothing to do with AWD. You are right, they are different. You are also right that it's not a good idea to unnecessarily drive on pavement in 4WD. BUT, with common sense it's not the killer it once was.

AS I said though, trust yourself and do what is best for you. You can't go wrong that way.

Old 09-09-2019 | 11:01 PM
I hope nobody follows your advice.

Old 09-09-2019 | 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
I hope nobody follows your advice.
I am with Roadie on this.

Good way to practice replacing CV axles

Old 09-09-2019 | 11:57 PM
Yup, may not have the same problems as the old systems but page 178 in 02 owner Manuel says not to use on dry hard surfaces or turning..
Me. The drive train is only so strong and not meant for heavy pulling stumps, other heavy jobs etc.
Why debate it, bring other systems into this and throw common sense out the window.
The driver side front CV axle is coupled with a Splined sleeve to self lock the front through the spider gears. If one wheel loses traction the other still won't pull, sort of a semi lock situation.
If both tires have the same traction in a turn, they fight each other for who has the most traction. (skitter and shake) occurs.
This is hard on the CV joints and driveline all the way back to the transfer case drive and steering becomes difficult..

Old 09-10-2019 | 03:09 AM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
178 in 02 owner Manuel says not to use on dry hard surfaces or turning..
Me. The drive train is only so strong and not meant for heavy pulling stumps, other heavy jobs etc.
How many times does, USE COMMON SENSE, have to be said? I'm well aware of what's in "owner manuals," along with why what's in them is in them. Ask yourself though, is what's in the manuals always about what's in the owners best interest or is it sometimes in the manufacturers best interest? I could get very specific about why I'm saying what I am but you wouldn't believe it so why bother? I've also said "do what you think is right and you can't go wrong." Right?

It's unfortunate but it was necessary that Ford had to remove the ability to adjust the speed and weight of electronic steering in 2014. There were just too many yahoo's that thought they could turn there truck in to pre-runners or trophy trucks with some steering adjustments. Not only was this nonsense to believe it made their trucks less than what they were.

What's actually going on with your concerns is force vectoring in opposition to stress tensors which are measured in units of area and units of time along with the common variable of weight bias in relation to acceleration (which also means deceleration.) I encourage you to learn everything you can about the relationship between the chassis, suspension and drivetrain. If you do, you will live a very comfortable life.

I'm also encouraged by being challenged over this. Thank you.

Old 09-10-2019 | 08:51 AM
so just to make sure i got this right.........
you can (only supposed to ) use 4WD on pavement IF you are not "really" turning?

does this include doing smoky 4WD DONUTS?

Old 09-10-2019 | 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Fbird
so just to make sure i got this right.........
you can (only supposed to ) use 4WD on pavement IF you are not "really" turning?

does this include doing smoky 4WD DONUTS?
Would you call doing smoky donuts in 4WD common sense?

Old 09-10-2019 | 09:45 PM
If you can do smokey donuts in 2wd I would be impressed. 4wd is that much harder. And in a 4500 # truck with 200hp. Haha

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: Lock rear end while in 2wd??