1997 - 2003 F-150

Drove my 02 F150 6,125 miles in the last 16 days

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019 | 08:06 PM
|
Drove my 02 F150 6,125 miles in the last 16 days

And it did fine mostly. I drove from Wilmington NC to Denver, CO, picked up my wife who flew out and we went to Glacier National Park in Montana and came back through Yellowstone Park in Wyoming. I noticed the right front tire was cupping from running 80mph hour after hour so when we stopped in Thermopolis, WY I got the tires rotated and balanced. Then I noticed how thin the front brake pads were but they lasted long enough to get me back home. The truck has 160k on it and it usually uses a qt of oil every 5k miles when I change it. It burned about a pint more on this trip than usual. Good ol truck!

The "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier Park is supposedly the most scenic road in the USA and I can't argue with that. And Yellowstone is always amazing.

Last edited by Roadie; 09-11-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2019 | 09:42 PM
Nice

Old 09-11-2019 | 07:21 AM
A real testament to the 2002 F150. Nice post!

I also have a 2002 SCREW 4x4 that gets used mostly around town, but a couple of times a month during the winter it makes a 240 mile round trip to the NC mountains. It is our primary winter vehicle for the mt trips. 160k+ on it now, original shocks and still not bad (my opinion). It's been through 5 sets of tires. I "lost" it for about 5 years as two teenage boys used it for their "first" vehicle during their high school years. It has the dents and dings to prove it.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-11-2019 | 08:41 AM
|
I've been looking on line for brake rotors for the front. I was planning to buy Motorcraft but rockauto doesn't have any that will fit my truck. They have them for 7 lug wheels but not 5. Then I read that all rotors are made in china now, even Motorcraft and ACDelco. Even the ones that claim to be made in the USA start with a chinese casting. I've had lots of problems with warped rotors on the rear and I want to buy good quality rotors. I did read that EBC and Centric rotors are the best? I don't know what to buy.

Old 09-11-2019 | 08:46 AM
I think I used Centric or Wagner. They were E-coated black as well.

Was what the forum recommended, haha, probably just glc. He is the most active here

Old 09-11-2019 | 10:24 AM
|
I bought Wagner "Severe Duty" rotors and pads for the rear from rockauto and they warped in a thousand miles. Maybe I should have gotten them trued before installing them. Anyway, I won't be buying any more Wagner rotors. I noticed today that rockauto doesn't sell them any more for my truck. O'reillys here will turn rotors so I will remove them, get them turned and see if they last. I also have an almost new set of Autozone's best "high carbon" rear rotors for my truck that warped in no time. Seems I lost the receipts for both.

The OE rear rotors warped on my 2000 F150Scab 4x4 in about 40k miles. I replaced them with Advance Auto cheap rotors and they warped in a thousand miles. I tolerated them until 80k when I got the OE rotors turned and put them back on. The were good to 105k miles when I sold the truck. Seems this vintage truck has a problem with warping rear rotors. Also, the OE rotors may be the best ones to buy for this vintage truck.

Last edited by Roadie; 09-11-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-11-2019 | 12:18 PM
That's an impressive workout and at different altitudes. Congrats on you and the truck. Glacier's quite a place isn't it?

Old 09-11-2019 | 12:57 PM
|
Originally Posted by River2
That's an impressive workout and at different altitudes. Congrats on you and the truck. Glacier's quite a place isn't it?
Yes, it is. For anybody who has a motorhome, they won't get through the "Going to the Sun" road unless you can utilize both lanes due to the rocks being so close to the lane and curve over the lane in places. And there was quite a bit of traffic on that road. We tried to go up the road on the west side toward Canada but it turned to gravel and was bumpy as a washboard so we turned back after a while. The map we had from the motel showed it as a paved road, NOT. Another item marked off my bucket list!

We stayed at the Days Inn in Thermopolis, WY on the way back and the management puts out large "bird feeders" outside their restaurant window. At night 2 or 3 very large buck deer come there to feed on the "bird seed". I think it was sunflower seeds. We got some great photos of those deer.

I ordered AC Delco front brake rotors and pads because they claimed to be made to the same spec as the Motorcraft rotors. If you look at the Powerstop Performance rotors on rockauto, they say they use an OE rotor and drill and slot it.

Old 09-11-2019 | 12:57 PM
Mine still seem to be fine. There is a thread on here somewhere about it.

Are you properly bedding in your rotors/pads. Do you hand tighten the lugs and then torque them or use an impact?

Old 09-11-2019 | 03:14 PM
|
No, I've never bedded my brakes and I've only had trouble with the rear of my two F150s and the front of my 95 Mark VIII Lincoln along with all the other Mark VIII owners on the forums I participated in. And I've owned over 60 vehicles. And I'm 75 so that makes almost 60 years of driving and replacing brakes on my vehicles. Well I suppose the 66 GT Mustang was the oldest car I've owned with disc brakes. Bedding doesn't make any sense to me. I always do the final torquing by hand and lately with a torque wrench. Some guy who supposedly has experience with race cars wrote a white paper saying rotors don't warp that has been discussed on most auto forums. I think he is full of it. In fact I know he is. I've seen enough discs resurfaced to know that they do warp.

Old 09-11-2019 | 09:12 PM
I had issues with vibration under light to normal braking, but get a little more aggressive with the brake pedal it would go away.
I ended up getting new calipers on the front and new rotors and it disappeared. Just gotta wonder if your rear calipers are not performing correctly & causing excessive drag, thereby, warping the rotors.

Last edited by enriched; 09-11-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2019 | 10:49 PM
|
I replaced the rear rotors and pads shortly before the trip. The calipers are not that old and I lubed the sliding surfaces. Crappy chinese rotors are the problem. When I brake, the back of the truck will bounce up and down when the truck slows. Like I said, I had this issue on my 2000 F150 scab when I replaced the rear rotors with cheap chinese rotors and I went away when I had the original rotors resurfaced and put them back on.

Old 09-12-2019 | 03:02 PM
|
Man, that Ram Laramie Quad Cab 4x4 that I looked at before the trip that had a $10k discount, now is advertised on line with almost a $12k discount, from $50k plus to $38k plus.................. Oh, the temptation!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Roadie; 09-12-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2019 | 03:30 PM
Oh, the temptation!
That temptation will quickly disappear once you've researched all of the problems they are having with the new Ram. It was enough that I wouldn't even consider one right now. Failing steering, complete engine failure, no start, lousy A/C, electrical gremlins, transmission issues, etc. My nephew just unloaded a Durango that he had a huge lemon decal on both sides. The dealer refused to work on it anymore. They couldn't find out why most everything on the truck wouldn't work...and then it would. They just traded into a GM something. I haven't seen it yet.
https://www.google.com/search?source...31.8S45I1ruHJg

In reading about your rear brakes, I had a 2002 that I couldn't keep rear rotors on it without them warping. Sometimes it got so bad the rear tires would bounce off of the ground. That went away when I traded into the 2004 F150 SCrew. The 2014 SCrew hasn't had the problem either. My thoughts are it's in the brake system itself. I know I had to have front pads at way too early of mileage on the 2014, under 26,000 miles. Most of my rigs have gone well over 100,000 miles on the factory brakes but most of that is due to I drive hiways more than town. Still, the factory pads on the front at under 26,000 miles is extremely short. The rear pads still looked like new. I've thought more than once that maybe the brake system on the 2014 is malfunctioning cause the wear pattern just isn't right. But the rotors, front and rear, are just fine.

Old 09-12-2019 | 03:38 PM
glc
My 2003 2wd still has the factory rear pads and rotors, at 198k. Braking is smooth. It's on its 3rd set of front pads and rotors.

Quick Reply: Drove my 02 F150 6,125 miles in the last 16 days