1997 - 2003 F-150

2wd 2002 4.2 f150 302 engine swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021 | 09:46 PM
|
2wd 2002 4.2 f150 302 engine swap questions

ive read a post here a while back about swapping a 4.2 engine for a 302 but im in a different situation so ive started this post because im in need of help bad . i own a f150 2002 ext cab 2wd truck and ive put years and years of work blood sweat n tears in it. Its my favorite ride ive ever owned. Lots of custom body work ive Done to it and ive got it set up for a massive car audio install and ive stumbled in to problems with the wiring harness and fuse box... Its a super custom truck so there's nothing in the dash but the gauges and the steering wheel its gutted and solid mdf wood floors dash roof ext and in all this custom work the fuse box had to be relocated and i choose under the hood as a worthy spot and in the process chopped up the harness and had very bad results lol along with previous wireing troubles due to all the excess of gadgets heat,air,ext i kept needing to relocate or shorten stuff for the custom work and totally messed it up so I figure instead of dealing with all the electrical trouble ive gotten into and for the sake of more room under the hood for more alternators and the cool factor trying a engine swap. the body is important to me Due to all the custom work done to it. the ol 4.2 has gave me much grief from constant motor issues over the years 'long before the custom work' its been through heck and isnt in great shape and needs retired. So i figure why not swap it' its a extra truck not my a to b im not looking to make it fast its going to weigh so much itl be slow no matter what its all bout car audio so I like haveing less factory wiring and room under the hood for audio stuff I plan to keep this truck till im dead n gone its sentimental to me this all said any advice or help on laying out the steps parts and how about doing it would help greatly I dont need any of the gadgets in the interior that was there and dont mind putting in custom gauges since the dash is custom no heat air ext just basics ill log the build on here and post pics if ya help me figure it out I gota make it run whatever it takes thank you all so very much.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-14-2021 | 07:10 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by Slownloudguy
ive read a post here a while back about swapping a 4.2 engine for a 302 but im in a different situation so ive started this post because im in need of help bad . i own a f150 2002 ext cab 2wd truck and ive put years and years of work blood sweat n tears in it. Its my favorite ride ive ever owned. Lots of custom body work ive Done to it and ive got it set up for a massive car audio install and ive stumbled in to problems with the wiring harness and fuse box... Its a super custom truck so there's nothing in the dash but the gauges and the steering wheel its gutted and solid mdf wood floors dash roof ext and in all this custom work the fuse box had to be relocated and i choose under the hood as a worthy spot and in the process chopped up the harness and had very bad results lol along with previous wireing troubles due to all the excess of gadgets heat,air,ext i kept needing to relocate or shorten stuff for the custom work and totally messed it up so I figure instead of dealing with all the electrical trouble ive gotten into and for the sake of more room under the hood for more alternators and the cool factor trying a engine swap. the body is important to me Due to all the custom work done to it. the ol 4.2 has gave me much grief from constant motor issues over the years 'long before the custom work' its been through heck and isnt in great shape and needs retired. So i figure why not swap it' its a extra truck not my a to b im not looking to make it fast its going to weigh so much itl be slow no matter what its all bout car audio so I like haveing less factory wiring and room under the hood for audio stuff I plan to keep this truck till im dead n gone its sentimental to me this all said any advice or help on laying out the steps parts and how about doing it would help greatly I dont need any of the gadgets in the interior that was there and dont mind putting in custom gauges since the dash is custom no heat air ext just basics ill log the build on here and post pics if ya help me figure it out I gota make it run whatever it takes thank you all so very much.
carbureted???

Old 05-15-2021 | 02:02 PM
|
2wd 2002 4.2 f150 302 engine swap

Yes if possible on this particular build I would really like to keep everything with as few electrical things as possible for room under the hood and no wires in dash that isn't totally necessity thanks for the feed back folks as soon as I can figure out how to post pics I will so you all can see what a crazy ride im building and why I want a do this swap I could get wireing harness and try to reinstall it but ive redone so much of it for custom stuff I think itd almost be easyer and less future trouble enginewise just to go with a old school simple engine n swap it and itd look cool with hood popped at shows to see somthing diffrent what a ya think any things to keep in mind or certian motors to look for for a easyer swap im all ears and open to any possibility's thanks guys so much

Old 05-15-2021 | 02:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Ford Power Products used to sell this engine for industrial purposes. Gensets, pumps, etc.

If your states has no emissions, then you can get the PCM and controller for the engine from Ford Power Products.

I'd contact these folks: http://www.powertechengines.com.

Old 05-15-2021 | 04:01 PM
|
Thanks ill for shure give Them a look i dont have emissions so that wont be no trouble will those engines work with my current transmission or will I prob have to strip Er down from top to bottom? Ive done lots of custom work and fixed lots of things and had motors out and in of rides but haven t swapped them to diffrent kinds so ill prob be asking lots of dumb questions pardon me lol

Old 05-15-2021 | 06:36 PM
glc
The 4.2 and 302 have the same bellhousing pattern, so your transmission will bolt up fine. If it's a manual you are good to go. If it's an automatic, it will need a computer because the 4R70W is electronically controlled. The other option is an old AOD or C6 out of a vehicle with a 302 or 351W.

Old 05-15-2021 | 06:49 PM
|
Thanks glc thats very good to know its a automatic on this truck hmm got me wondering bout myvlast truck I just traded before I got into this build problem it was a 1985 302 f150 and it was in great shape motor wise and my buddy has offered to trade it back and said he thought that the 302 in it would be a good option for my 02 but lol I almost dont have the heart to take it out of its orignal body since it was in such good shape ID prob fix it and drive it so about the automatic part what is a aod or c6? Thanks so much for helping guys big time

Old 05-15-2021 | 07:00 PM
|

Figured id post some pics to show what im doing its nuts but its been a very fun project i at one time had about 30 speakers in here then tore it down and have been building on it for sevaral years now to go bigger mdf floor firewall dash roof doors are welded togather 4 doors into a 2 door suicide lol that was fun to do cut the whole back put van style suicided the tail gate going to make into a van style door and finish up the welding on it still gota do my bumpers

Old 05-15-2021 | 07:04 PM
|

Suicide tailgate going to convert to a van style door weld it on up to top of camper

Going to resin entire interior and make custom park bench style bench seat

Old 05-15-2021 | 07:12 PM
|

Painted it all even top of motor to look like its old and rusty figured where i live itd be easy to clean and touch up lol

And heres where i ran into trouble trying to relocate the fuse box fit ok but now its a dead sitting lemon

Heres the first layer of wood on dash the entire fire wall behind it is mdf to and will be resined and filled full of foam this is the reason i wanted to relocate the fuse box and wireing harness so i could get to it if i needed to and i also ended up removeing the e brake but neway wanted to show what i was into since you guys have been an awesome help and i promise i will keep uploading pics of progress i wont give up no matter cost or time or skint knuckles

Old 05-15-2021 | 09:08 PM
glc
AOD and C6 are transmission models that are not electronically controlled. AOD is a light duty 4 speed OD and C6 is a heavy duty 3 speed non-OD. Your 4R70W (AODE) and the E4OD are electronic. List of all engines that have the same bellhousing pattern:
  • 200 I6 1978-1983 only, partial (4 of 6 bolts) pattern.
  • 250 I6
  • 255 V8
  • 289 V8 - (made after August 3, 1964) - had 6 bolts holding bellhousing to block
  • 302 Cleveland (Australia)
  • 351 Cleveland V8 (not the 351 Cleveland M-block engine)
  • 351 Boss
  • 351 Cobra Jet
  • 302 Windsor V8
  • 351 Windsor V8
  • 400 Cleveland M-block V8 aka 400FMX (certain 1973 casting numbers D1AE and D3AE, mated to the FMX transmission)
  • 3.8/3.9/4.2L Canadian Essex 90° V6 (RWD only)
  • 240 I6
  • 300 4.9 I6
  • 4.6L Modular V8 (first two casting runs, numbers F1AE and F2VE)
  • 302 5.0L Windsor V8
  • 351 5.8L Windsor V8
You will find the AOD in 85-93 F150's with a 302, plus several cars. You will find the C6 in all kinds of Ford trucks and cars, but be mindful of which engine it has because the C6 was used with several different patterns. I wouldn't recommend any other transmissions unless you want to do a manual conversion, a M5OD out of a 4.2, 302, or 300 I6 F150 will bolt right up with the right flywheel.

Any transmission swap may require driveshaft modification.

Old 05-15-2021 | 09:58 PM
|
Awesome list extremely helpful glc ill be studying on that and ima be on the hunt as far as drive shaft mod is it a big joby job? Ive took em off but havent messed with them to much are there certain ones to buy thated work for a 302 being put in a 02 f150? How bout rear end axle and diff will I have to change it? Sorry for probably dumb questions just excited to get in touch with cool knowledgeable folks for a wild build like this the internet is a amazing thing ill be checking the links and lists everybody's posted and do more research to figure out what im going to do hopefully be driveing this rig down the road some day before to long thanks again guys

Old 05-15-2021 | 09:59 PM
|
Awesome list extremely helpful glc ill be studying on that and ima be on the hunt as far as drive shaft mod is it a big joby job? Ive took em off but havent messed with them to much are there certain ones to buy thated work for a 302 being put in a 02 f150? How bout rear end axle and diff will I have to change it? Sorry for probably dumb questions just excited to get in touch with cool knowledgeable folks for a wild build like this the internet is a amazing thing ill be checking the links and lists everybody's posted and do more research to figure out what im going to do hopefully be driveing this rig down the road some day before to long thanks again guys

Old 05-15-2021 | 10:50 PM
glc
The driveshaft may need to be shortened or lengthened. It may also need a different front yoke. Any decent driveline shop can do that. Rear axle and diff are fine as is. If you have 2wd, just don't buy a 4wd transmission, it won't work.

Old 05-19-2021 | 10:21 PM
Depending on the trans you use it may be fine. If it was bolted to a AODE trans that's basically a 4r70w that came in 97-03 f150's with 4.6 and some 5.4's. The torque converters were different between the 4.6 and the 5.4. 2.5 and 1.8 ratio's IIRC.

Quick Reply: 2wd 2002 4.2 f150 302 engine swap questions