1997 - 2003 F-150

Swapping wheezy 4.2 liter V6 for brawling 408 cubic inch V8 stroker!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 09:48 AM
Contributor

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BossGuy
Thanks 4Dnut.

It's going to take all of the winter and a bit of the spring, since it's a weekend project.

And I have to space out the expenses. Just the heads are going to be over 3 grand.

Photos to come!

we’ll be waiting

The following 3 users liked this post by stoffer:
Old 12-22-2023, 10:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by stoffer
we’ll be waiting
Me too.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If (when?) the tranny breaks, I'll put in something more robust, like a TKX, but the guys on the T-Bird site said that if you don't put high shock loads on the trans (like clutch drops and power shifts) it will survive.

The 8.8 in my truck is an open dif (have plans to buy a helical conversion kit). So one thing at a time.
If the trans breaks first I'll buy that first.
Taking a middle road - A trans breaking in a tiff w a Chevy would embarrass more than driving a 4.2. I'd use your trans, but "put a brick" or contractor's tile sponge under the gas to remind. And use it just until. W no shock loads it will still go eventually, and soon, given your reason for doing any of this.

My 'old '01 5.4 w whatever's left of 265 HP is too easy to readily find myself doing 90. On wet, the rears break lose & start to come around w gentle pressure on the gas at 50. That's w 3.35 or 3.55, but 3.01 equiv, cuz I upped the tire size. I don't tow much so 500 hp? Nah. I would be embarrassed to have your needs.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:37 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BillSF9c
T I would be embarrassed to have your needs.
Aren't you a little ray of sunshine. Thanks for stopping by.

Old 01-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Aren't you a little ray of sunshine. Thanks for stopping by.
I was thinking similarly, when only noticing there was a post in the forum by someone with your moniker, BossGuy. Sure, I thought of pushing envelopes when I was sub-20, but somehow I reached adulthood. Cars are cars and have a few tasks. Most hopped up engines don't belong in a truck. The engines are damaged by a truck's demands. You end up with a Harley-like truck; fast, not aerodynamic however, and are poor at towing, etc. It changes from a useful truck into what was once called, "a funny car." In essence, it is nearly ruined. Good for a drag with your 19 yo GF on Friday night downtown. But you're right, Guy, maybe he is young compared to many of us. If so, I apologize. I do believe in each to their own. Most guys are looking to increase power or gearing to effect more towing. He sounded as if he *only* had "a need for speed." Speed being acceleration, in this case. Some could say I made my truck a poor one by going to very economical gearing. There's more than a lil truth in that. I don't do much hill or tow work. Indeed, it is a "car" in a sense, like his may be.

But I'm older. Reading CAFE guidelines, they note, cars of my era did have 16 sec 0-60 times. I do gear my rigs for economy. Or top end, is another perspective. But I grew up without speed limits. Old habits die hard. Acceleration is fun, but not of very much use. I keep things toned down in town. Too many a$$idental deaths. Outta town, away from traffic, then I'll enjoy. It surely sounded like he wanted to stoplight drag. Again, apologies if I misunderstood. BossMan? Maybe you're a cool guy. So far the package comes off as passive-aggressive. Sounds like jr high. But your opinion counts as much as mine. And that, admittedly, isn't much. Only his own opinion should matter to him. I hope his creation served his needs, well.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-05-2024, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by BillSF9c
I was thinking similarly, when only noticing there was a post in the forum by someone with your moniker, BossGuy. Sure, I thought of pushing envelopes when I was sub-20, but somehow I reached adulthood. Cars are cars and have a few tasks. Most hopped up engines don't belong in a truck. The engines are damaged by a truck's demands. You end up with a Harley-like truck; fast, not aerodynamic however, and are poor at towing, etc. It changes from a useful truck into what was once called, "a funny car." In essence, it is nearly ruined. Good for a drag with your 19 yo GF on Friday night downtown. But you're right, Guy, maybe he is young compared to many of us. If so, I apologize. I do believe in each to their own. Most guys are looking to increase power or gearing to effect more towing. He sounded as if he *only* had "a need for speed." Speed being acceleration, in this case. Some could say I made my truck a poor one by going to very economical gearing. There's more than a lil truth in that. I don't do much hill or tow work. Indeed, it is a "car" in a sense, like his may be.

But I'm older. Reading CAFE guidelines, they note, cars of my era did have 16 sec 0-60 times. I do gear my rigs for economy. Or top end, is another perspective. But I grew up without speed limits. Old habits die hard. Acceleration is fun, but not of very much use. I keep things toned down in town. Too many a$$idental deaths. Outta town, away from traffic, then I'll enjoy. It surely sounded like he wanted to stoplight drag. Again, apologies if I misunderstood. BossMan? Maybe you're a cool guy. So far the package comes off as passive-aggressive. Sounds like jr high. But your opinion counts as much as mine. And that, admittedly, isn't much. Only his own opinion should matter to him. I hope his creation served his needs, well.

I'm not as "reactive" to online remarks as I once was. Everyone has their own priorities, opinions etc.

My first post was ,purposely, "over the top" as far as emphasizing the performance I want for my F- 150. I am a semi-retired construction contractor and the old "work truck" only makes the occasional trip to the lumber yard, big box store or run to the country for a load of fire wood for our wood stove. I currently have five vehicles, but none of them has a V8 engine. I have always enjoyed the performance and sound of a stout small block Ford engine and enjoy building them myself.

The demise of the V6 has opened an opportunity to build the type of engine I have wanted to build for the last ten years. I was kicking around the idea of putting such an engine in a Mazda, Miata. I bought a super clean 2000 Miata with that in mind, but the little car is just too clean and nice, with only 20,000 miles to "cut into it" and modify it for such an engine.

I have no interest in street racing my truck, but I do drive "enthusiastically" from time to time. 500 hp is only about 50 or 60 more than other current factory trucks. I do get tired of being unable to keep pace in traffic situations with these trucks. While this engine may be a bit "rowdier" than most stock engines it will still allow me to use my truck as a "truck". In fact it will significantly increase its payload and towing capacity, admittedly at a cost to fuel economy.

But let's be real, these trucks are gas guzzlers even with the wheezy V6,

I'm not sure what initially "triggered" your first insulting post, but I appreciate the follow up, and I do welcome any and all constructive criticisms and comments even when they aren't in line with my priorities.

Last edited by BossGuy; 02-05-2024 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:43 AM
BossGuy
> my first post was ,purposely, "over the top" as far as emphasizing the performance I want for my F- 150.

Except for pro writers and the gifted, text is a difficult medium. I'm glad to know more about the project, and you.

> I have no interest in street racing my truck, but I do drive "enthusiastically" from time to time. 500 hp is only about 50 or 60 more than other current factory trucks. I do get tired of being unable to keep pace in traffic situations with these trucks.

"Traffic" is v often, imprudently quick... Esp in a city street situation.

> But let's be real, these trucks are gas guzzlers even with the wheezy V6,

True - to a point. F=ma^2. A 6 or an 8, it still requires the same HP to accelerate a 4700+ lb rig at a certain rate. In a 6 you might use most of your power, and just half in a 8, but the btu's used are nearly identical.

Dad swapped a younger brother his 390 PI cuz bro's wife, nurse and all, had a lead foot. He tuned it down to manage 16 mpg at a steady 50. I kind of like going into 2nd, if I'm in a rush, at 65, entering the freeway. I have lots of gears left. Dad was a machinist and stuck overdrives in 144 cu in IH Scouts and 221 Fairlanes. I grew up on lil ole Hondas and squeezing out the last ergs from good tuning, and got used to slowe 0-60's. A Honda MC foreman where I worked sent me to fill 55 gal gas drums in his Ranchero, cautioning me about the power. It was city-peppy. He remarked on my return, assured of my awe. I was silent. Plainly he had 4.00:1 gears or such and maybe could hit 100, period. I'm glad you are building s reasonable, dual purpose rig. So few can use 500 HP. I think my Cobra just had 340, but, was lighter of course. It's very hard to not do 90-95 w my 260-265 HP... but I have few hills or tow loads, and I have ~3:1 gears. The rear can come out readily on any damp turn, uphill. 500 HP to me is like a rifle cartridge in a sidearm... Sorta overkill. But then there's the 3030, a compromise, so, rules are made to be bent. It's crowded in the SF Bay Area. I find my limited acceleration, cooked w a sharp eye and plan, dices the traffic easily. Even so w my '76 140 HP 360 MaxiVan and 2.71 gears... 120 in 2nd. I'm sure the Porche drivers on onramp shoulders could have bested me, as I stayed in the lane and took them on the outside. But none seemed to care to try.

I look forward to all aspects of your build and performance, to incl city-hwy mpg. Thanks for explaining it in clearer terms. I do like turbos. Only engaged, when required. Low state of tune, high mpg, when lolly-gaging. You are building two engines, in one. That is to be applauded. It's harder. It's wiser. Any apologies thought due, are yours to have.

Last edited by BillSF9c; 04-08-2024 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 02:16 PM
Sorry for the delay on this post. Winter makes my garage a bit cold for working on the truck and I had other obligations that took up my time.

I have now pulled the V6 engine and M5OD transmission. Upon disassembly the engine looks pretty darn good. Well. it should. I rebuild it 60,000 miles ago and changed the synthetic oil every 5,000 miles.

I was beginning to think I had overreacted, but I knew I hadn't imagined that 'clacking' noise.

And then, there it was, a bent rod in cylinder 5. This caused the effective length of the rod to be a couple of centimeters shorter causing the crankshaft counterweight to contact the bottom of the piston skirt.

The other rods are straight and the rest of the engine looks like new. I could just buy a new connecting rod, put the engine back together. and stuff it back in the truck.

But where's the fun in that?

Pictures of the disassembled engine to come.

Old 04-07-2024, 04:03 PM
Here is a photo of the bent rod that started all of this.

Old 04-07-2024, 04:26 PM
Here's a photo of the bent rod.

Old 04-07-2024, 04:33 PM
At start up the engine had been revving too high. I thought it was a sensor issue so I changed the coolant temp sensor in the back of the driver's side head.

That didn't help.

Then I changed the idle air control valve.

That didn't help.

The truck sat for over three months due to a failed cheap Chinese fuel pump that had less than 500 miles on it.

I bought a Motorcraft fuel pump and replaced the failed Chinese crap one.

At initial start up the truck revved CRAZY high and before I could turn off the key, the engine started making the "clacking" noise.

In retrospect I suspect that one or more of the fuel injectors was leaking fuel while sitting and that caused either overrevving or hydro locking to bend the cylinder 5 connecting rod on start up.

Last edited by BossGuy; 04-07-2024 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:15 PM
I have no interest in street racing my truck, but I do drive "enthusiastically" from time to time.

I'm not sure what initially "triggered" your first insulting post, but I appreciate the follow up, and I do welcome any and all constructive criticisms and comments even when they aren't in line with my priorities.
I probably read some egotistical names in other subforums, backed by, How can I make my truck a monster for 429.95? Also, this forum's subforums can dump me mid-thread, so lack the background. Those guys don't understand car vs truck engine requirements. I see, you do. 👍👍👍

Quick highjack -
5.4, tenth gen, tach shows 6000. No Indicated redline. Shift outta first seems at 5000+. (Testing only.) Is there a "suggested factory redline?"

Old 04-08-2024, 06:25 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Factory rev limiter on a 5.4 2 valve is 5200.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Factory rev limiter on a 5.4 2 valve is 5200.

Mines a 4.2L V6, but yeah, I'm sure it is also rev limited. I'm guessing that the fuel injector leaked gas into cylinder 5 and the rod bent from hydraulic lock.

I'll probably buy a new rod and put the engine back together. All it will cost me is $50 for a new rod and the cost of the gaskets.

I could sell the engine to help pay for the 408 build.

Last edited by BossGuy; 04-15-2024 at 07:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old Today, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting option, but I myself do not know how to tinker with a car, because I am afraid to break something. I am interested in tuning a diesel engine, but so far I have little information about it. I found someone who understands this. They say they do it well, but if you understand this issue. Then tell me. I want to get rid of the EGR and increase the power.

Last edited by kovelball; Today at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Swapping wheezy 4.2 liter V6 for brawling 408 cubic inch V8 stroker!