2004 - 2008 F-150

Seat belt buzzer/bell

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003 | 09:57 AM
therealist

therealist,

All I said was, "Seatbelts save lives." I don't believe I said anything about your personal freedoms, seatbelt laws or money. I guess my brother-in-law had the same feelings as you did about having the choice to wear a seat belt. I'd ask him right now, but he is currently buried in a cemetery about an hour from here.

He was killed in a car accident 6 years ago, this December 15th. A car ran a stop sign and hit him on the driver's side. He would have made it out fine, except for the fact that because he wasn't wearing his seatbelt, he was thrown to the other side of the car, the door opened, and he suffered severe head trauma as the car was still moving and he was hanging out the side, while his head was banging along the road.

So you can continue using those excuses you made above as reasons why you do not want to wear your seatbelt all the time, but they're all lame excuses.

Personally, I think not wearing your seatbelt is one of the dumbest things anyone can do. Your choice should ALWAYS be to wear it. Not only for yourself, but for your loved ones as well.

And your comment, "Children should continue wearing them," is ridiculous. Why shouldn't adults wear them? Are we built of some super-human accident-proof steel, that makes us impervious to accidents where we don't need a seatbelt?

It was instilled in me from the first time that I rode in a car to always wear my seatbelt. Now, if I get into the car, I don't even shift out of park until I've buckled. I feel naked and vulnerable without it.

They should change the seat belt buzzer to a little continuous voice that says, "Don't be a dumb @ss...Don't be a dumb @ss...Don't be a dumb @ss...

Old 09-11-2003 | 10:54 AM
Re: therealist

Originally posted by Guigster

They should change the seat belt buzzer to a little continuous voice that says, "Don't be a dumb @ss...Don't be a dumb @ss...Don't be a dumb @ss... [/B]

HAHAHAHAHAHA. That would be awesome.

Old 09-11-2003 | 11:25 AM
Seatbelts

IMHO seatbelts save lives. I've seen a lot more accidents (I reconstruct them for a living) were people were saved by seatbelts than I have seen accidents were they were saved by not wearing them.

As far as those who don't want to wear the belts, that's fine. Please write in your will for your beneificaries not to sue somebody else because you were an idiot. IMHO we shouldn't have seatbelt laws we should have a law that says if you don't wear the belt and you get hurt/killed as Guigster's brother-in-law was then you can't collect a death benefit. I know that's harsh but I regularly look at situations were someone is trying to sue someone else when in fact its their on fault.

Or, just as good, a statement that you can sign to that affect that says that if you are hurt, you are responsible.

BTW, I feel the same way about helment laws as well.

Old 09-11-2003 | 11:45 AM
APT
Originally posted by therealist
But why does the government have to force me too with laws and threats of fines?
Because driving is a priveledge, not a right. We accept the rules/regulatons/fines applicable.

I am only speaking generally, not about this rule specifically. I do not agree with every rule either. You can choose to wear your belt or not.

Old 09-11-2003 | 11:55 AM
People should wear them for the plain reason that it's common sense. You should care enough about youself to put a little 2 inch wide strap across your lap and shoulder when you go for a drive. It can be the difference between you living or dying.

Or even worse, what if you get so badly injured that you live and you are a vegetable the rest of your life? Think about the fact that if you had put that little belt on, chances are you would have been fine.

In my 12 years of driving, I've seen my share of non-seatbelt wearing disasters. I've seen someone fly, literally fly, out of a van window. And I've also seen a head smash right through a windshield.

I can't imagine that feels good. I don't like pain. So I'll continue to wear mine and make anyone else who rides in my car wear one as well. If you don't wear it, don't ask me to take care of you if anything happens.

Old 09-11-2003 | 12:04 PM
I think that buzzer is the biggest complaint I have with the truck. I'm an adult, if I choose not to strap myself in a vehicle I shouldn't have too. Just another big brother deal infringing on my personal rights. So I will read my manual, unhook the buzzer and drive freely without my seatbelt!

Old 09-11-2003 | 12:14 PM
Charles Darwin would be proud!

Old 09-11-2003 | 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Stratman
Charles Darwin would be proud!
Except he's dead. Probably not a seatbelt wearer.

Old 09-11-2003 | 12:27 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Originally posted by Guigster
Except he's dead. Probably not a seatbelt wearer.
Nope, motorcycle accident.
(No helmet)

Old 09-11-2003 | 01:31 PM
I think we have several potential Darwin award winners in our midst.

Old 09-11-2003 | 02:22 PM
You know everyone has there own opinion on this seatbelt deal. I watched someone get there neck chopped because they were wearing one. There are good and bads in everything. Yes if I choose to not wear my seatbelt I'm taking a risk that I may get in an accident and get seriously hurt, but if I wear my seatbelt there is the same risk. There are no guarantees in life (my spelling is horrid!), I will and should make my own decisions for myself! They aren't always the right decisions but they are mine. I think as adults we have that right. So if I want to wear my seatbelt, then fine, but I choose not too, it's uncomfotable and it might just kill me!

Old 09-11-2003 | 03:15 PM
Originally posted by FirstFord13
Yes if I choose to not wear my seatbelt I'm taking a risk that I may get in an accident and get seriously hurt, but if I wear my seatbelt there is the same risk.
Statistics prove otherwise.

And you're right. It IS your choice to wear it or not.

Old 09-11-2003 | 06:01 PM
Originally posted by FirstFord13
You know everyone has there own opinion on this seatbelt deal. I watched someone get there neck chopped because they were wearing one. There are good and bads in everything. Yes if I choose to not wear my seatbelt I'm taking a risk that I may get in an accident and get seriously hurt, but if I wear my seatbelt there is the same risk. There are no guarantees in life (my spelling is horrid!), I will and should make my own decisions for myself! They aren't always the right decisions but they are mine. I think as adults we have that right. So if I want to wear my seatbelt, then fine, but I choose not too, it's uncomfotable and it might just kill me!
From what I have seen, a lot of people have this opinion until they are seriously injured in a wreck. Then it becomes the insurance company's fault because they don't step up to take care of these people. Ultimately, we all have to foot the bill in increased insurance premiums and in higher Social Security/ disability premiums. I think if you don't want to wear your seatbelt that is your business. But, I also think that we shouldn't have to take care of you for the rest of your life when you are a drooling brain damaged guadrapelegic.

But hey, you people who want to act this way keep it up. It keeps me in business.

Old 09-11-2003 | 08:52 PM
Guigster,
If you read what I said, you’d see I wear mine. I wear it because it is my personal choice. So you telling me I am making excuses to not wear it is incorrect and inaccurate. I don't care much for big brother ordering me to do so. My debate IS NOT if seat belts can help in a collision, yet hypocrisy in the law. For example in Texas wearing a seatbelt is the law, yet motorcycle riders do not have to wear a helmet. Seems backwards.
If you are so concerned about safety in a wreck, how about taking steps to avoid them in the first place? Maybe teens should not be allowed to drive, maybe seniors should have to take driving tests frequently, maybe repeat traffic violators and DWI drivers should not be able to drive at all? There are countless things to do to make the streets safer but not everyone (including myself) would like them all.
So before anyone labels me anti-seatbelt, remember I wear it, but do so by choice not because of an order from a politician/lawyer.

TheRealist

Old 09-11-2003 | 09:18 PM
Originally posted by therealist
Guigster,
Seat belts may in some cases save lives. Children should continue wearing them. However in a country that was founded based on personal freedom, insured adults should be able to make the choice to pull that strap down or not too, and assume any risks involved. If you want to wear them all the time, thats fine. But why does the government have to force me too with laws and threats of fines? The truth is, I almost always do wear it. But because its MY choice.
And by-the-way, the reason most states have seltbelt laws is because if they didn't the amount of federal road money would decrease. So in the end, its mostly about money, as is much of our society.
That is a great thought, however due to lunny liberals and lawyers running around trying to screw everybody out of money that statement really has no logic to it.

If there were truly personal responsibility involved then fine. However since my tax money, insurance money and a number of other things that cause cost to raise due to many people having no personal responsibility then I want seatbelts mandated.

You see in our current environment most people, due to liberals, have NO personal responsibility for their choices or actions. So when some moron gets in an accident and is seriously injured due to NOT wearing seatbelts it is like winning the lottery. They sue everybody they can possible think of due to their own malfunctioning brain. Thus, our car insurance, health insurance, cost of new vehicles etc ALL raise and we ALL pay for the few morons that have NO personal responsibility.

I have no problem telling someone who did NOT use seatbelts and has no use of any of their limbs “tough luck pal, you are on your own” unfortunately liberals and the lawyers won’t let people like me FORCE personal responsibility on others. Therefore I am all for any law FORCING personal responsibility on to others. It is the American way…

Quick Reply: Seat belt buzzer/bell