2004 - 2008 F-150

Supercrew Rear Speaker Installation Step-by-Step

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercrew Rear Speaker Installation Step-by-Step

OK, I've seen a few posts regarding the replacement of speakers and while the fronts are a piece of cake, the rears seem to have left others (including me) scratching their heads. Visit my gallery where I have posted a step-by-step pictorial of how to replace the rear speaker on a Supercrew.

A few items:

1) The stock speakers do not have markings as to which wire is positive and which is negative. There is a simple trick to determine a speaker's polarity. I took the stock speaker (removed from vehicle) and ran a test wire to each lead. I then took a AA battery and touched a wire to each end. The speaker will react to this charge by moving forward (outwards) or backwards (inwards). If it moves inwards, change the leads on the battery. Once the speaker reacts by moving outwards, you have your polarity in place. The wire touching the + on the battery is positive and the wire touching the - on the battery is negative.

2) I went with 6x8 speakers by Kenwood. Their eXelon series fit perfectly and is a vast improvement over the stock.

3) When wiring, I decided not to cut the OEM harness. While I could have purchased an adapter harness from Crutchfield, the $12.99/pair price is a bit steep. Instead, I used the supplied wires with the new speakers, stripped 3/4" off the end and soldered the exposed copper. This made a stiff wire tip that inserts perfectly into the OEM connector. Secure with electrical tape and I was set.

Hope this helps!

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=4897

Last edited by Daneo2; 11-06-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Did you happen to take note the wire color for + and - on yours.
Thanks for all the info!

Old 11-06-2003, 08:05 PM
I didn't, I just referenced the position on the OEM connector based on my speaker polarity test. I'm guessing that there are four different sets all around.

Last edited by Daneo2; 11-06-2003 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:08 PM
I guess that would mean that the + and - on the stock and Kenwood are in the same position. Is that what I understood you to mean and the way you hooked it up?
I have been waiting for someone to post the removal of the rear door panel. I now feel better about doing it myself. YOUR THE MAN!!! Thanks

Old 11-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Sorry, I just read your whole thread on how to find the +. That's what I get for jumping to the pictures first.
Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2003, 09:45 PM
Great write up and pictures!
hey i see you have a flowmaster exhaust. How does it sound and did you get it custom made or a bolt on kit? Did you lose any power or feel like more. Sorry about the '20' questions but am planning on that myself when mine comes in.
Stacy

Old 11-06-2003, 09:50 PM
Hey Stacy,

The exhaust is custom made by a local shop. I used a Flowmaster 50 Delta 3" in by twin 2.5" out. Sounds great when you put a brick on the pedal on the right. Cruising along you retain the quiet cabin feel. Certainly no loss of power, but I won't claim an increase. Personally, I am waiting to see what full systems come available in 04 (I see some coming out of SEMA this week). Bassani is also working on a system.

Dan

Old 11-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Daneo2:

Do you have the upgraded sound system or standard? I am wondering if the audiophile system comes with upgraded speakers or if they are the same as used on standard system.

Thanks, Screwdriver

Old 11-06-2003, 10:52 PM
I have the stock stereo with the 6-CD changer. I am swapping out the head unit shortly - just waiting for cash to fall out of the sky. I'm not sure if the audiophile comes with different speakers.

Old 11-07-2003, 12:20 AM
I did a speaker change on my 99 Lariat that was alot like this. I used a soldering iron to melt the factory connectors from the factory speakers. I then resoldered the connectors to the aftermarket speakers (i had to bend the connector tabs 180 degrees) this way i had no cutting of wires, correct + and - and a plug in connection. The speaker upgrade ( i added the connector flip)and install instructions (with pics) came from this forum. The next really important thing was i added 4 tweeters from radio shack. Before you laugh yourself out of your computer chair hear me out ! This tweeter upgrade was suggested to me by an audio system installer and a veteran of stereo competitions. I do not have the model numbers for the tweeters at this time but the retailed for them was 29.95 a pair and on sale could be had for 19.95 a pair. With the speaker upgrade and the tweeters people were blown away by the sound i got from the stock head unit. I was even accused of having hidden speakers and amps to achieve this sound quality. My Shadow Gray scab FX4 is on order and will come with the audiophile system and i may have to do this install again.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Just want to give a shout-out to Daneo2 for excellent rear speaker installation instructions. Nice write-up. I know this thread is old but it can help a lot of people.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:39 PM
NICE I've been looking for this for an hour! (a long time in the internet age) Thanks!

Quick Reply: Supercrew Rear Speaker Installation Step-by-Step