2004 - 2008 F-150

Need A Little Help - Close To Buying

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003 | 02:17 PM
|
Need A Little Help - Close To Buying

First, this a great forum - just discovered it. I am getting ready to buy a new 2004 F150 FX4, but have a couple questions.

Should I wait until January and hope demand is down and there are more incentives? Are there any incentives/rebates right now? Secondly, I would like a black truck with the gray/silver two tone, but can not find a picture anywhere. Does anybody have one, or can anybody point me to one?

Thanks ahead of time for any help or comments you all may have!

Old 11-15-2003 | 07:25 PM
Lightbulb Yes you should wait

There are a couple of reason to wait, in my opinion. The demand will drop like a rock, already has in lot of the country. And Ford is still learning how to build these newer vehicles.

I really like the new F150 trucks. But I swore off Ford in 86, because that last Ford was a lemon. Out of 6,000 miles in 7 months, and 4,000 was the dealers driving trying to fix it, I gave up on it and took my losses and bought a Honda; which of course worked perfectly for 7 years. We handed down in the family three times.

Still I am very close to buying the F150 but I will still wait till January, and (for me anyway) make sure it is built after Dec 1st.

My wife had the perfect example. "It is only a car" "If it doesnt work in two years because you spend all your time at the dealership getting repairs......then at least, maybe?, Toyota will get the Tundra right and actualy make a a real truck in the fall of 2006 - the 2007 model to be built in San Antonio. A real truck engine with a real truck frame, that regular full size adults can sit in.

Old 11-15-2003 | 07:52 PM
Go ahead and get one!

Houston made a couple of good points. But I've had my truck for about 400 miles now (Scab FX4) and no problems. Lots of other guys on this forum have had their trucks for up to 4000 miles, with no problems, or very minor stuff. Only one or two guys have had a major issue. I'm sure they will chime in on this thread.
Next, We are getting great deals on our trucks right now! I did well, and other guys with the A,D, X plans etc are getter killer deals when they add on rebates like owner loyalty ($1000) AQHA ($300) Military ($750.) Pa Wolf has a thread started bragging how well he did, and the others answering him are doing better deals!
These trucks are starting slow because of the economy and from the valid opinion of HoustonPerson that we dont' trust new model year trucks. But I think Ford did a good job here
Do your research, get every thing in order, and go in to the fleet manager on the phone.
Good luck! KD

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=3190

Old 11-15-2003 | 08:02 PM
I was nervous to buy my '97 F-150 when they first came out. It turned out to be less troublesome than my '99 or my '01. The first year jinx doesn't hold water with me. Don't let that stop you.

Currently, dealerships are already letting them go at invoice without a struggle. As KDTruckie pointed out, some decent incentives are already available and interest rates of 1.9%/4 years and 2.9%5 years aren't exactly terrible. Sure, 0% would be better, but I think it's an excellent time to buy an '04.

Plus, hardly anyone has one!

Except for us!

Old 11-15-2003 | 08:05 PM
Talking

WOW!!! Is all I can say about the truck I just picked up man! I may have posted a negative thread about not being able to order the seats I wanted but everything else about this machine is unbelievable. This is one fine truck. My wife can't get me out of it. When you do get around to getting one, you won't be sorry. I remember some of the things I read prior to ordering it, the rave reviews it got in the press, and they were right on the money.

Old 11-15-2003 | 09:19 PM
I have 5600 miles on mine...not a problem in the world. This truck is almost .....and I mean only almost....Lexus quality. You know....when you build and sell nearly 1,000,000 trucks a year, you are going to have some lemons. I bet you if Lexus or BMW or Mercedes sold nearly 1,000,000 of a particular car, they would probably have as high or higher problem rate.

I am biased...I have owned BMWs, Mercedes, and 2 Lexus LS400s. This truck is my favorite out of all of them. I think that says something.....what I am not sure...but it says something

Old 11-15-2003 | 10:23 PM
|
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Are they really selling them at invoice? I live in the Charlotte, NC area and most of the dealers and salespeople I've talked to act like they can't close a deal at or close to invoice price for a 2004 FX4 loaded up. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2003 | 10:46 PM
Originally posted by barneyfife911
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Are they really selling them at invoice? I live in the Charlotte, NC area and most of the dealers and salespeople I've talked to act like they can't close a deal at or close to invoice price for a 2004 FX4 loaded up. Thanks.
their job is to convince you to pay more. don't believe it. they will make you feel like an idiot asking for invoice, but if you are willing to walk about it will save you a lot of money. price out what you want or find the truck using Ford's online dealer search and then price that same truck on kbb.com. you will know what invoice is and you can ask for it. there may be dealers that turn you down, that's there choice (though they will probably call you back again and again trying to get your business). it's also helpful to pit them against each other saying, "dealer X will give me this price, do you want to try to meet that?" in my case it was true that other dealers were offering good prices. good prices are there to be had. be tough. you'll get what you want. good luck!

Old 11-15-2003 | 11:01 PM
Invoice

IMHO... dont even bother bringing up invoice or anything like that. Try to get it for invoice or less if you want, but don't specifically bring up the word invoice. Brazenly letting the dealer know your goal is to minimize his profit could turn it into an adversareal experience. Just calculate whatever price you want to pay for the truck and figure out what financing you can get before hand. Base it on invoice or a certain amount below or above that if you want. Figure out what fees and taxes are reasonable to add. Go in and say I want to pay X amount out the door when all is said and done for this truck. He doesnt need to know how you came to your number, he just needs to know that's where you want the deal to end up. Low ball him a bit if you think he wont go for your first offer. Once he hits it, sign, leave, and be happy.

Last edited by eharri3; 11-15-2003 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2003 | 12:46 AM
i actually think it was helpful in my buying experience to tell them where i got my info. i knew more about my truck than anyone in the dealership. they were respectful of that and didn't try to pull anything on me. i even had to explain the ordering system to them based on everything i learned here in the ordering explanation thread (i think XCR posted it, but not sure). informed consumers are a shady car dealer's worst nightmare IMHO.

Old 11-16-2003 | 01:41 AM
Originally posted by barneyfife911
I got mine for $500.00 under invoice and a free remote starter thrown in. I don't think the overall demand is very high right now but the economy is picking up. There is a beautiflu silver FX4 on my dealers showroom floor that's been there for a least a couple weeks. I thought it would have been sold by now.

Just make sure to shop around. Offers do vary. My choices went anywhere from the deal I got to $750.00 over invoice (about a $1500.00 spread). If you don't have time to run all over town(s)looking, try pricing one out with the online quote system.

Good luck.

Old 11-16-2003 | 07:05 AM
As the Brewmaster said, knowing more than anyone at the dealer, really helps your cause. Standard dealer sales tactics just don't work well when the buyer is prepared.

The ability to pit one dealer against another - without even picking up the phone - has made price shopping easier than ever. Before ordering my truck, I built it a www.FordVehicles.com and noted what I was willing to pay, which was invoice or X-plan, whichever was better. The dealers who responded to my inquiry already knew where they stood with me. Cuts through a lot of BS!

To anyone who paid under invoice - without a trade-in - my hat is off to you. You truly drive a hard bargain.

Old 11-16-2003 | 08:36 AM
What a great bunch of info.

I had gone to several dealers who said they wouldn't sell for less than invoice. But when I went in and said I wouldn't pay more than invoice they still chose to talk to me.

Best bet, tell them up front. It avoids the salesman playing games.

Look online and get the invoice price for the exact truck you want. Figure in the sales tax and tags. Add it all up and you should be real close to the "out the door" price. Let the dealer know this final price. If they don't want to work with you right then, leave your name and phone number, and walk out the door. They WILL call you. Walking away is the best thing you can do, ask anyone who has done it.

You will get your price or close to it, don't give up.

A small profit on a vehicle is better than no profit.

Quick Reply: Need A Little Help - Close To Buying