2004 - 2008 F-150

Traded in my 04 Lariat already ...!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003 | 07:06 PM
|
Traded in my 04 Lariat already ...!

Yes, really.

Went out today and saw the Nissan Titan.....I just had to have it.

Cough, splutter.

(Only joking there guys !)

But I DID trade in the '04 with only 3000 miles on it.

Why, and what for?

Well, another '04 Lariat actually.

When I got my 04 Lariat in October it was one of the first and I wasn't sure if I was doing the correct thing trading in my '01 KR F150.

However the truck has been faultless and so quiet and smooth .

BUT it wasn't the 4 x 4 and didn't have reversing sensors.
I have got to understand how the sensors are really useful as the 04's are so much higher at the back especially with the ARE tonneau that I have.

So when my usual dealer who wasn't able to supply my original '04 called me, we started discussing a trade.
It wouldn't normally make sense at such an early stage in ownership, BUT it was the first 04 they had taken back, PLUS they were able to offer a much better interest rate, and a complimentary Rhino liner.
With a discount off list price I found it difficult to turn down.....so I didn't !

I've owned plenty of vehicles in my life (over 60) but never for as short a time as 2 months !

Old 12-06-2003 | 07:11 PM
Good to hear from you Lenny - been a while!

So what is the new truck like? Same thing, different? Details!

Old 12-06-2003 | 07:15 PM
way to go Lenticular! 4x4 is where it's at. enjoy! and take that bad boy out to the dirt to get dirty!!

Old 12-06-2003 | 07:30 PM
Congrats Lenny

Yes please give us the details of the new ride. Good luck with the new ride. With the weather we are having here today, about 18 inches of snow, you would not want to be without the 4x4.

Old 12-06-2003 | 07:31 PM
|
I nearly bought my first 04 from my usual dealer here in the Rio Grande Valley.

BUT although they had the Arizona Beige which I really liked, it had a moon roof (Useless in the heat of South Tx), plus I wanted the rails for the metro kit.

Also at the time no dealers down here had access to hard tonneaus for the O4 which I had to have.
(The truck is often in store in Houston when I am back in the UK.)

That's what led me to go to a larger dealer network further north who got me the truck in Toreador Red/ Arizona. (As near as I could get to the Chestnut/Arizona combination of the KR.)

However I couldn't get the all over effect of Arizona out of my system, plus I felt a bit of a heel letting down my usual dealer who really is a genuine family setup. (Not like some featured on last night's TV program !)

I also really want to keep in their good books as I would like to have one of the first KR's when they become available on the '04 model. (Should be late 04 or early 05....Ford have the deal tied up with the King Ranch)

So that's it......only extra over the previous model is the 6 CD changer.

Now I'll never find my CD's.....as it is I often don't even know which CONTINENT they are on, let alone in which vehicle !

Isn't life tough !

Old 12-06-2003 | 08:21 PM
Congrats on your 2nd 04.

Old 12-07-2003 | 09:16 AM
Congrats Lenny, way to go there old boy...*in my best English accent*

Now, with a 4x4 in your possesion, you'll need to learn the language of RED NECK...j/k

You're the last truck owner I would have expected to buy a 4x4 but I like them too and have no real justification other than I'm paying the bill and it's what I want. Well, there is a better sense or feeling of security as it's less likely to leave you stuck somewhere and feels safer in rain and bad weather and of course gives much more security when driving in snow.

Let's see the jewel when you get a chance.

Later,

~DM~

Old 12-07-2003 | 11:08 AM
|
Thanks Dave.....

I still owe you and Rockpick a beer or two !

Must get together again soon.

Cheers

Old 12-07-2003 | 11:24 AM
I kinda almost did the same thing. I had an 03 regular cab XLT 4x2 with the 5.4, bought it new last April. At that time, my company was about to move me to Albuquerque from Santa Fe, so I didn't think I'd need a 4x4, and that's why I had bought the 03 4x2. Then in mid-summer the company decided not to move me, so I was looking at commuting from Abq to Santa Fe, at night, and the snow situation is much more of a factor up in Santa Fe. Having driven pickups in snow, I really didn't want to face using that 4x2 in snow, so I traded it in on the 04. Took a pretty good price lickin' on the trade, as the 03s aren't doing well on resale right now, but I reckon it was worth it. I do love the 04 a lot more than I did my 03, and now have the added protection of being able to throw it in 4-drive when needed.

Old 12-07-2003 | 08:02 PM
Moderator &
Originally posted by Lenticular
Thanks Dave.....

I still owe you and Rockpick a beer or two !

Must get together again soon.

Cheers

Lenny ole' Lenny...

Nice to hear that you're rotating trucks like underwear these days. LOL! Just kidding bud. Congrats on that second 04'. You've succeeded in making me 'more jealous'...

Beers? Oh yeah... I'll take you up on that one of these days!

Good to see you again too. You got awful quiet there for a while.

RP

Old 12-09-2003 | 02:50 PM
Did you take much of a loss?

Old 12-09-2003 | 04:50 PM
|
Not too bad really....

Not keen on talking actual figures for two reasons.....

1. There will always be someone who says they could have done better...

2. And of course I don't want to admit to myself that I have to accept a bit of a hit.

Obviously trading in a truck after 2 months doesn't make a whole lot of common sense (Shut up Rock !)

However having said that all I really had to do was stump up the extra 4K for the 4WD over the 2WD and the depreciation was taken care of by the slightly higher payment (About $40 per month).

Two little things I had not thought about...

Being an 'oldie' (Shut up Daveman !) I have a huge collection of cassettes.
Well I came to transfer all my stuff to the new truck which has the 6 CD changer and also held up my favorite cassette to slot in.

NO SLOT !!!

Eejit features had forgotten that the 6CD meant I had to forego something !

Another silly thing...the new truck did not come with a bed extender.
The dealer agreed that I could keep the one off my old truck.
I started to gather the fittings I had removed from the other truck and realised that the holes that accept the main "pivot" are not even tapped to take the fitting unless the bed extender is an ordered option.
Admittedly it only took a few minutes to tap the holes but I couldn't believe Ford wouldn't automatically have left all those holes tapped ready just in case !!

Hey Ho !

Anyway I'm very pleased...I now have the reversing sensors,
my ARE Arizona beige lid was transferred straight from the other truck, and I have a Rhino liner courtesy of the dealer.
And of course I now have 4x4 for the first time !

Must go get stuck on the beach !

I'm now waiting for some jazzy 4x4 decals and Ford logos I got from E Bay. (Sorry I can't stand those huge blue ovals!)

Last edited by Lenticular; 12-09-2003 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-09-2003 | 07:28 PM
Cool 4X4 or 4X2 w/ Limited slip 5.73

I have one question that maybe most of you could answer. What is wrong with 4x2? Most of you want the 4X4 but i see nothing wrong with the 4X2. Maybe if you have alot of snow you might want it, but i can climb most hills and get through the snow with the 4X2 limited slip traction. I just could not see spending an additional 5k for the 4x4 that i most likely would not use plus that damn transfer case. I have had nothing but problems in the past with that and I can't stand the automatic push buttom 4X. I have to many friends that have been stuck in 4X because of it.

Chris

Old 12-09-2003 | 08:26 PM
|
Nothing wrong with the 4 x 2 at all........
I had no real need for the 4 x 4 except I have been stuck on the beach down here before in the 4 x 2.

It is though , I think, one of the few options where you will actually see most of your money back when you resell.

Things like a moon roof will not be of any particular real value when you trade in.

So, if you can afford it, I suppose it is like having insurance.

Chances are a lot of people won't ever use it.

However I might find it is one of those things, like when microwave ovens first came out....when you say..."What do I need that for ?"

Then, once you've got it, you wonder how you ever managed without !!

I might find I WANT to go off roading now....something I've not really done before but could well find enjoyable !

Quick Reply: Traded in my 04 Lariat already ...!