2004 - 2008 F-150

Clicking in center console

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003 | 01:49 PM
|
Clicking in center console

Has anyone else noticed that when you depress the brake pedal while the truck is in park that you can hear a click in the center console? It doesn't happen once the truck is in gear. I can't say for sure that it's always been there as I usually have the radio on before I put it in gear. I have about 2500 miles on the truck so far. It's a Lariat SCrew with center flow through console and 4x4.

Old 12-10-2003 | 01:52 PM
Mine does it, too...

and appears to be normal operation. It does that to disengage the locking mechanism that prevents you from shifting out of park without the brake being pressed.

Old 12-10-2003 | 01:53 PM
Yeah I have the same thing, I think it's "unlocking" the shifter. If you don't have the brake in the thing won't budge

Old 12-10-2003 | 01:58 PM
Clicking noise in Console

I have an '04 Lariat SuperCrew 4x2 with the flow though console as well. I have heard the same thing. To me, it sounds as if it is an electronic solenoid releasing an electronic lock on the shifter. As you know, the shifter won't move until the brake pedal is depressed. I think when you depress the brake pedal, it releases an electronic lock to allow the shifter to then move. That's my take. Chris

Old 12-10-2003 | 02:07 PM
Re: Mine does it, too...

Originally posted by wingn8ive
It does that to disengage the locking mechanism that prevents you from shifting out of park without the brake being pressed.
Precisely. It has done that in every automatic vehicle I have ever driven if you listen for it.

Old 12-10-2003 | 02:28 PM
|
Thanks for the info. I thought it was probably a normal sound. I've been driving a stick shift for the past 5 years so I'm not as familiar with the peculiarities of automatics. I guess I've never noticed it on my wife's Explorer.

Quick Reply: Clicking in center console