2004 - 2008 F-150

Damned!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damned! Motor Trend Truck of the Year

Well, as much as I love Ford's, I was all but certain the Titan would get the award, being the winner on paper, hands-down...

But, the Ford is as good, and prettier- so it seems beauty won over function. and innovation- and a solid first-effort from Nissan.

Congrats Ford! Without a doubt, that is one helluvatruck!

I kinda knew you'd win, but was pulling for the Titan.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...nce/index.html

Last edited by Bighersh; 12-17-2003 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:54 AM
Huh? What did I miss here?

what did the Ford win? I assume an accolade from a magazine or something....

Old 12-17-2003, 11:12 AM
er...never mind!

Old 12-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Bighersh

WHY???

Old 12-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Re: Bighersh

Originally posted by L Squared
WHY???

Dunno, I like the 2004 F-150. My wife wants one to replace our 2001 SuperCrew- so, we may end up with a black 2004 or 2005 FX4, with the floor shifter... I love Ford's too- but that Titan is just bad-@$$...

Seeing the stats, made me think they had a shot at the Motor trend Title. It's not that I don't think the F-150's worthy, it certainly is. I just thought overall, the Titan would be found the better truck. In terms of fit & finish, refinement, ride, handling, power, speed, braking, etc....

Hey, I'm a sucker for the underdog....
It worked before- I was pulling for Villanova and they somehow managed to beat Goergetown in the 80's for the NCAA championship. (Underdog) UNC beat Univ, of Houston (Underdog), 1986, #2) Vinny Testeverde & the Miami Hurricanes beat #1.) Brian Bosworth and the OU Sooners, Elway & Denver Broncos beat Favre & the Green Bay (Under dogs) and the Falcons (Under dogs).

I always go for the under dog, unless I have a reason to not like 'em...

Old 12-18-2003, 01:10 AM
I just thought overall, the Titan would be found the better truck. In terms of fit & finish, refinement, ride, handling, power, speed, braking, etc....
I haven't read a single review in Motor Trend pr otherwise that said the Titan is superior to the F150 in ANY of these categories, except for HP which is not equivalent to "power". It has been discussed countless times on this forum that the Ford isn't built to be a dragster, it's a working truck. I you want to drag race in a truck (which is lame) by all means buy a Dodge or a Titan.

Old 12-18-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by TruBluScru
I haven't read a single review in Motor Trend pr otherwise that said the Titan is superior to the F150 in ANY of these categories, except for HP which is not equivalent to "power". It has been discussed countless times on this forum that the Ford isn't built to be a dragster, it's a working truck. I you want to drag race in a truck (which is lame) by all means buy a Dodge or a Titan.
Titan has 379 ft.lbs or torque.......Ford has 365 and both have similiar peaks. Yeah I expected the Titan to win but they probably picked the ford because ford knows how to build full-size pickups right. Between the Titan and the F-150....I think its a wash.... you can't lose either way. To bad Ford hasn't yet got the hint that big power sells trucks, look at the hemi. I'll give ford a break for 04' though because they did afterall redesign the entire truck so their wasnt time to fab up things like a 5-speed auto and get to the potential of the 3v 5.4.

Old 12-18-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by dloreanwiz
To bad Ford hasn't yet got the hint that big power sells trucks, look at the hemi.

I guess that's why Dodge outsells the Ford

Old 12-18-2003, 02:08 PM
Re: Damned! Motor Trend Truck of the Year

Originally posted by Bighersh

But, the Ford is as good, and prettier- so it seems beauty won over function. and innovation- and a solid first-effort from Nissan.

[/url]
No arguements that Nissan did a great job for their first try. Unlike Toyota that still has not addressed those factors that keep them from selling more Tundras.

However, you still need to explain how the Nissan is so much more functional than the Ford. And how Ford is looks only. From all accounts, this F150 is everybit the work truck of previous F Series. Nissan has yet to prove that they are capable on any jobsite.

Old 12-18-2003, 02:32 PM
J-150 says
What planet is this on?????
Ford F150 has been the best selling truck for many many years!
I've owned 3 Rams. Loved them but were no comparison to my 2004 F150.
I wish all you Ford owners that love the Titan so much would just stop "talking" about how great it is and open you tight little wallets and "buy" it. Don't just read about it.
This topic is so over done :o

Old 12-18-2003, 02:36 PM
Nissan did an awesome job with the Titan. For those of you that haven't gone and sat in one, you must just for giggles- the things is pretty d@mn clean.

Where the Nissan fails is here:

1) Loyalty. When it comes to truck insistence, people don't just be an innovator and buy the newest thing to hit the marketplace. Those people are known as bandwagon fans. And while there is no problem getting the next big truck on the market or being an innovator in that regard, you have to remember that Ford has a big following. So much of one that 800,000-1,000,000 F150's are sold each year. And the F150 even exceeded 800,000 sales in it's last year, after the Dodge and Chevy had both seen redesigns. Nissan will have to stick around a while before they get that kind of following.

2) Design. Sure the new Nissan looks cool, but a lot of people would rather see it than own it. Kinda like concept cars. Lots of people go "oooooo. Ahhhhh." at some of those funky, crazy cars, but if they came to the market place like that, few would buy them. The Titan, while I think it looks kinda cool, is not the look that most people want in a work truck or a luxury truck. It's what the younger crowd wants, sure, but the younger crowd only buys are % of the vehicles.

Old 12-18-2003, 02:42 PM
The Titanic is a piece of crap....stop crying like Michael Jackson Bighersh

Old 12-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by J-150
I didn't say that the Dodge outsells the Ford its just that the Hemi's are selling like hotcakes and you see them EVERYWERE.

Old 12-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Tucker1154
J-150 says
What planet is this on?????
Ford F150 has been the best selling truck for many many years!
I've owned 3 Rams. Loved them but were no comparison to my 2004 F150.
I wish all you Ford owners that love the Titan so much would just stop "talking" about how great it is and open you tight little wallets and "buy" it. Don't just read about it.
This topic is so over done :o
Go back and R E A D the post again and at the point I am referencing.

The guy says "when will Ford learn that big power sells, just look at the Hemi"

My point to him was sarcasm. If the Hemi is such a selling point then Dodge would infact be outselling Ford. But they are not so that argument is not entirely true now is it.

Old 12-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by dloreanwiz
I didn't say that the Dodge outsells the Ford its just that the Hemi's are selling like hotcakes and you see them EVERYWERE.
your point does have merit. yes the Hemi has become a selling point for some Dodge buyers. Yes you do see them everywhere. However, I would ask how many of these Hemi owners have just traded in their 5.9 or 8.0 for a Hemi?

Maybe the Hemi sells well because the 318 and 360 are discontinued and the 4.7 is too wimpy for such a heavy truck.

My feeling is that the Hemi is selling to existing Dodge owners who would have otherwise bought with the existing upgraded Dodge gas engine (the 360 or V10).

Quick Reply: Damned!