2004 - 2008 F-150

Ford running boards?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003 | 11:47 AM
|
Ford running boards?

Does anyone have either the bright polished or black running boards from Ford?

Are the 'bright polished' ones stainless?

Are they built well?

Getting ready to order my truck and wanted to solicit input from you'all ...

Thanks again
Steve

Old 12-20-2003 | 12:18 PM
I'll stand corrected if wrong, but I think both the factory 'bright polished tubulars' and the Ford 'chrome side step bars' are aluminum. I installed the Ford 'nerf bars' (IMO, preferred over the factory option) and they are very light weight, certainly not as sturdy as my previous chromed steel Westins. It remains to be seen how they will hold up in the long run.

Go to the search function for several other threads with photos.

Old 12-20-2003 | 12:39 PM
Black running board pic

Steve,

Here's a pic of the black running board on my truck.

It is very sturdy, though not very stylish...which is fine by me because I kinda like the the more understated/utilitarian look for this truck. I'm trying to stay away from a lot of chrome/polished...just my preference for this truck. If I had chosen different colors for the truck, I'd probably have preferred polished running boards or tubulars. I don't think I've seen any pics of the bright polished factory running boards yet.
Good luck making your choice...I think that's half the fun of getting a new truck.

Old 12-20-2003 | 02:07 PM
I think that the black platform boards are better, because while they seem more plain at first glance, I think they match the lines of the truck much better. Also a glob of crome floating out "unsupported" visualy isn't going to make for a clean look IMO

Old 12-20-2003 | 02:20 PM
I think all or most who have ordered RB's with an ordered truck have experienced serious delivery delays. I did too, so I cancelled my RB's and put them on after.

Old 12-20-2003 | 06:22 PM
NJR
TSSCS,
I have the factory aluminum/stainless, low profile running boards. Like CURMUGEO pointed out they might be aluminum, versus stainless. However, they are not as Ford describes "bright polished tubulars." Many dealers were/are putting on the aftermarket TUBULAR products that looked like XTGWAGON's commented...like a glob of chrome. The factory aluminum boards don't stick out like a sore thumb. My are also very strong, with good gripping on top for getting in and out! NJR

Old 12-20-2003 | 09:17 PM
Check my gallery for (salty) bright polished factory boards. I like them a lot, very wide and understated.

-ii

Old 12-20-2003 | 09:27 PM
IzInBloom,

Nice gallery - great truck. The bright polished running boards do look nice...surprisingly different design than the black ones. I'm glad to finally see some pics.

OT:You name your trucks, huh?...Where does "Kepha" originate from?

Enjoy!

John

Old 12-21-2003 | 11:16 PM
Kepha is Aramaic for "Rock", if you note in the Good book sometimes "Peter" is refered to as "Kephas", which traslated to Greek is "Petros" thus "Peter". It's what Christ refers to him as.

One side note people often ask me if being a "rock" is chevy......I need to remind them that chevy is only LIKE a rock. lololol....

peace

-ii †

Quick Reply: Ford running boards?