2004 - 2008 F-150

'04 5.4L Rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003 | 09:48 PM
|
'04 5.4L Rough idle

I've got about 2600 miles on my truck now and have noticed the last few days that the idle feels a little rough. Seems to be worse when it's cold but still there warm. You can see the passanger seat headrest shaking a little. Also worse with the A/C off.
I'm due my free first oil change so I guess I will have it checked out.
Anyone else notice this?
Runs ok otherwise.
Scott

Old 12-30-2003 | 08:26 AM
Question Yes, mine too.....

Your description is exactly what mine does. It has done it from day one although mine seems o be getting worse with more mileage (4800) Does yours also have an unusually bad rotten egg exhaust smell? I think it may be a calibration issue. I have had it back once for it and will be taking it back again as it is getting worse. Please let us know if you get an answer from your dealer!

Old 12-30-2003 | 09:05 AM
|
Haven't noticed any sulfur smells. Will see what they say, my past experience with dealer service (Chevy) was usually "problem could not be reproduced" or "normal operation". Haven't used Ford service yet, my last 2 Ford trucks never once had to go to the dealer for service, one of which I put 180K miles on and it still didn't burn oil, and passed emissions with no problem when I sold it.
Hope this one turns out to be as good, but I got the 7yr. 100K warranty just in case.
Scott

Old 12-30-2003 | 12:29 PM
Are you allowing your truck to warm up (high rev itself a little at start) andl et it settle back down to 750 RPM before you put it into gear? If not, you could be "popping" the transmission a little (If you start the truck, and before letting it warm up and then settle again put it into gear, you will notice it moves more rapidly w/o your foot on the gas then it normally would at idle). Doing this all the time will eventually break things down and get you shudder.

Also, see if putting the truck into neutral rather than park or drive settles down the shaking. If so, then your transmission mounts (not sure the true name) may be loose, very common on Ford trucks.

Last edited by vocabulaic; 12-30-2003 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2003 | 03:24 PM
Scott, I know what you mean with service. I got NPF all over my paper work when I had it in before. I have had several new Ford vehicles and needless to say, have not run into this. I know there are other reports on these issues, it's just a matter of when the powertrain folks step in with a fix. Unfortunatly, patience is required as this is such a depature from the old PN96 truck but I hope that some of these fixes will be available for the Job 2 trucks as well as for us. We'll see......

Old 12-30-2003 | 07:31 PM
The "rotten egg smell" makes me think you might have a bad catalytic converter.

Old 12-30-2003 | 11:35 PM
|
The idle is fine when I first start it up until the RPMS come down to around 750 or so. It's more noticeable some times than others but is always there even after I have been driving and fully warmed up.
You can feel it pretty good if you put your hand on the passanger seat head rest with the seat empty.
If the A/C compressor is on, the extra load seems to smooth it out.
I'll check out the neutral/park difference too.
Got my catchalls today so I'm gonna go put them in.

Scott

Old 01-07-2004 | 11:58 AM
Question ScottS.....

Hey ScottS, just wondering what became of the vibration issue?
Mine has been back at the dealer for a couple of days now. Should be interesting to see what they have to say......

Thanks!!

Old 01-07-2004 | 04:31 PM
I've only put about five miles on my truck that has the non-limited slip 3.55 Gears and 5.4.

I noticed the passenger seat headrest shaking quite a bit also.

I'm sure everyone has read about the shuddering and rear-end gear issue on a few trucks.

I wonder if this is related or a completely different issue.

It seems like the engine idles fine for me, but I did notice the seat shaking.

I haven't had a chance to drive the truck a whole lot yet, but I was wondering if a passenger would notice this or not??

Old 01-07-2004 | 11:46 PM
|
Still does it but it doesn't seem to be getting worse.
You can feel it in the gear shifter as well. I notice it does do it right after startup but is more noticeable when the idle comes down. No matter if it's in gear, park, neutral. As soon as you give it a little throttle it smooths out.
I'm going to take mine in soon for that and to see if I can get the flash updates for the auto climate control and outside temp sensor issues.
Scott

Old 01-11-2004 | 04:46 PM
Unhappy

Well, my truck went back for the vibration last monday. Did not hear from the service guys until Wednesday after I called to see what was up. Since this was a come back for the same issue, the service manager got involved. Apparently there was a disagreement between the service manager and the tech working on it. The tech said NPF/could not duplicate, the service manager said there WAS a vibration. He felt it in the steering wheel, shifter as well as seeing the passenger seat shaking.

They reflashed it to the latest calibration which just came out but it did not solve the vibration yet. It still seems to not be idling right either. I picked it up Thursday to drive it while I patiently wait for my new transmission which will hopefully be here Monday (bad front pump causing whine)

At least the rotten egg/sulphur stink is gone and the truck actually runs better from the new flash. The dead spot at the begining of the pedal travel is much better.

This will be my third trip back to the dealer to try to fix these issues. I love the truck but I am disappointed in the fact that the dealer can't get it fixed considering the training that the techs supposedly had before the trucks were released to the public.

We'll see what Monday brings........

Old 01-11-2004 | 06:46 PM
Now that you guys have described it as "sulfur", that is what mine smells like to after I turn the vehicle off and hop out I notice that smell...I will let it run and see if it contiues and have them look at my first oil change...

Old 01-13-2004 | 12:18 AM
|
Haven't had a chance to take mine in yet, let us know if you make any progress.
scott

Old 01-13-2004 | 10:45 AM
Okay, I put 300 miles on my truck this weekend and the only rough idle I noticed was a few times. When going from Drive to Reverse quickly, like when you pull in a little too far to a parking spot, it had a really brief rough spot.

As for the passenger seat vibrating a bit, it just seems to be the stiff frame that transfer a bit of this up to the empty seat. I don't notice anything less than a smooth running engine and no vibrations for driver and nice and quiet interior.

Old 01-13-2004 | 06:15 PM
I'm starting to notice a rough idle at 2,400 miles. It's not rough enough to make anything shake in the truck, but you definetely feel it. It wouldn't bother me if it weren't for the fact that one of the first possitive things I pointed out about the truck was how smooth it idled when I bought it.

Quick Reply: '04 5.4L Rough idle