2004 - 2008 F-150

Ford Service Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004 | 01:56 AM
I have been to the dealer a few times since i purchased mine . The thing that is a little scary is i see new engine's and rearend's out of trucks ready to be shipped out. I have a slight tick which hasn't changed 6000 miles now. Hoping it is normal injector noise. Your right BREWDUDE they just can't jerk a engine and replace untill it's called for.

Last edited by bluestang67; 09-03-2004 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-03-2004 | 05:47 PM
My 04 f150 developed a knock at 3000 mi. My dealer said that 2 lobes were worn off the rh camshaft. I immediately expressed concern over the grit that has circulted through the engine. I asked that the engine be disassembled, hot tanked and thoroughkly washed with soap & water and brushes, and replace the bearing inserts. The service rep. said they would ask Ford to replace the englne. About 2 weeks later I picked up the truck. They replaced both camshafts and the followers, but did not dissamble and clean the engine or replace it. I asked for an extended warranty but that was refused. The service rep said there was a magnet in the oil pan that would catch the grit. I asked when to change the oil & he said 3000mi. Ford customer relations was a waste of time. They said the vehicle had been repaired and that was all they were legally obligated to do. They said the repair was the dealer's call and the dealer said that they sent pictures to Ford and could do only what Ford would allow. It sounds like others have been treated better than I have. I keep thinking of the particles that are no doubt embedded in the rod & main inserts and just dont have confidence that this engine will have a normal service life. Am I being too picky?

Old 09-03-2004 | 08:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

When it comes to warranty concerns, dealers are to do the bare *** minimum to get the concern corrected. I know it sucks.

Often times though, what's done to repair the vehicle is often at the discretion of the dealership. Larger, higher volume dealers (known as tier 1 or level 1 dealerships) can get away with more generous warranty repairs than lower volume dealers or dealers who are at risk of being audited.

In the case of disassembling, hot tanking, cleaning, and reassembling the engine, almost no dealer would do that. It'd be too expensive and time consuming to the dealer and to Uncle Henry, and there's the very real possiblity that they'll get it all back together and it still won't run right. Which will end up costing more time and money to pull it down again or replace it with a new unit. I (as the guy working on the truck) personally would have emphasized that there's metal in the oil passages of the engine and pushed for a new assembly, but that's just me.

Old 09-03-2004 | 09:30 PM
The service rep said they would push Ford to replace the engine and I said that would be fine. You are no doubt right that disassembly & cleaning would be too labor intensive. The dealer didn't really hold out that as an option, that was only where the conversation started. 2 weeks later they said Ford would not replace the engine and gave me a # for customer service. Customer service said they checked with the dealer and found that the problem had been fixed. How's that for the run around?

Quick Reply: Ford Service Issue