2004 - 2008 F-150

Lower Grill Insert

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004 | 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Grimalkin
Grim...maybe Kansas City reversed our tranny/power steering radiators. When I trace the oil lines, those from the radiator under the vehicle go to the tranny and the lines from the radiator behind the bumper/valence go to the power steering pump.
Do you have the tow package? If you have the tow package:

-the big radiator behind the bumper should be the transmission cooler and

-the little radiator beneath the truck should be the power steering cooler.

Yours may be reversed. It doesn't make sense to have a great big power steering cooler and a tiny transmission cooler!

Grim

Old 07-15-2004 | 05:45 PM
Grim...your logic re: radiator size made sense to me, so I personally crawled under my XLT Screw and started tracing oil lines (previously, I had taken the word of a mechanic). You are absolutely correct...the tranny cooler radiator is the one behind the bumper valence. The power steering oil lines go to/from the power assist rack to the radiator under the vehicle.

Somehow, I feel better knowing that my lower Speed Grill is protecting one rather than the other.

Old 07-15-2004 | 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Grimalkin
Grim...your logic re: radiator size made sense to me, so I personally crawled under my XLT Screw and started tracing oil lines (previously, I had taken the word of a mechanic). You are absolutely correct...the tranny cooler radiator is the one behind the bumper valence. The power steering oil lines go to/from the power assist rack to the radiator under the vehicle.

Somehow, I feel better knowing that my lower Speed Grill is protecting one rather than the other.
I had traced them out myself, I was pretty sure that was right!

Grim

Old 08-04-2004 | 10:17 PM
The materials were definately not worth $54.95, but the appearance is. The seller on ebay was kind of an a$$, but what the hell:

Hey dzervit is this better??

Old 08-04-2004 | 10:51 PM
Originally posted by bluesdudetoo
I much more like the looks of this set

IMHO

http://www.carriageworksinc.com/products/42102.html

I have to agree with you. It is the look that I was after.

Old 08-05-2004 | 02:20 PM
the link at the beggining of this thread has an ebay auction thats over with, are there any other places to get the lower grill? thanks

Old 08-05-2004 | 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ristuccia
the link at the beggining of this thread has an ebay auction thats over with, are there any other places to get the lower grill? thanks
Under 'Seller Information' click on 'view seller's other items' and it will bring up a new auction for the same item.

Old 08-05-2004 | 03:13 PM
Looking good Zoltan!

Old 08-05-2004 | 05:21 PM
I also purhchased the insert from that dude on ebay. Super smooth transaction and lightning fast shipping. I agree that it should only cost about $20, but what are ya gonna do? I didn't like the "unfinished" stock look.....

Old 08-05-2004 | 10:26 PM
"but what are ya gonna do?"

Well, someone get me an AutoCAD or Inventor drawing with all the specs (complete design, material, thicknesses, etc.) and I'll have one of my plastics suppliers quote it in bulk. Trust me, the guys on ebay are making a nice margin on this item! The plastic grille, once molded, is super easy to reproduce in mass. The clips would be another (minor) issue. Unfortunately, I can't do the drawing, etc. ... I can only get them quoted. I do it all day long ... even now at 9:15pm (still at work ... lots of OT this week)!

Old 08-06-2004 | 06:03 PM
Originally posted by GordoPanocho

Well, someone get me an AutoCAD or Inventor drawing with all the specs (complete design, material, thicknesses, etc.) and I'll have one of my plastics suppliers quote it in bulk. Trust me, the guys on ebay are making a nice margin on this item! The plastic grille, once molded, is super easy to reproduce in mass. The clips would be another (minor) issue. Unfortunately, I can't do the drawing, etc. ... I can only get them quoted. I do it all day long ... even now at 9:15pm (still at work ... lots of OT this week)!
Gordo, I would def be interested in buying this if you could produce it. I refuse to pay 60 bucks for something that everyone says is worth 20 at the most.

Last edited by nutcracker; 08-06-2004 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2004 | 09:36 PM
It may be a little pricey but fits and looks factory.

Old 08-06-2004 | 09:58 PM
I think they look great and match the stock grill well.

The price is not much over a full tank of gas.

I'm gettin' one.

Grim and Grimalkin, you two are freaking me out with the names.

Can one of you change your name to Bubba or something?

Old 08-08-2004 | 09:23 AM
Thumbs up Grill Insert

I ordered one a week ago and put it on yesterday. I think it gives the grill a finished look and helps to protect the radiator. It is much better than that gaping hole down there.

Funny thing - Last weekend, I showed the wife the Ford low profile bug shield I just put on and she said "There's something missing down there...?" Her comment made it a lot easier to explain why I spent $62 for a $20 piece of plastic.

The guy from Ebay was OK with me. I couldn't track my shipment and he was helpful. I paid using Paypal and the shipping/transaction was smooth and fast. The current auction has ended, but I sent him an email after the 1st auction and he let me know when he had a new auction (after his new shipment arrived). He'll probably have another one soon if anyone still wants one.

wattman1

Quick Reply: Lower Grill Insert