2004 - 2008 F-150

Outside air temp indicator

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004 | 08:39 AM
|
Outside air temp indicator

I am looking for some input on the outside air temp indicator. I have an 04 SCREW with a build date of 01/04. I have done a search for info relating to this but all I have found is old and seems to relate to trucks with an older build date.

Problem is.....just recently I have noticed the indicator showing extremely low temps such as 35F 60F 65F etc. when the outside temp is really 85-93. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does my airconditioner blows cool to warm air and my mpg's seem to drop.

Question is......does any one else have this? What have you seen? Have you had it back to the dealer? What was their response and what did they do?

Thanks.

Old 08-06-2004 | 09:14 AM
take it to the dealer.

it sounds like many problems (other than the vibration) are software based and need a PCM re-flash.

Based on your build date, this could very well be the problem (old software)

Old 08-06-2004 | 09:47 AM
|
thanks, just called got an appointment for monday

Old 08-06-2004 | 10:06 AM
I had it happen to my truck, there is a TSB to reflash the PCM for inaccurate temp readings.

Old 08-06-2004 | 10:18 AM
My sensor was bad so they replaced it. It always read too high. They also flashed the PCM while I was there.

Old 08-07-2004 | 01:09 PM
|
lariatf150 - was your temp reading consistenly of or was it intermittent? Mine works ok 95% of the time. I don't want to go in and get a cannot duplicate. Also, did they reflash the pcm on their own or did you have to ask them to do that? When they reflashed were there any inmprovements or problems introduced?

Old 08-07-2004 | 05:04 PM
Mine was constantly reading 5 or 6 degrees over the real temp. The new sensor fixed it.

I asked for a reflash, more or less. I complained of hesitation, which it sort of has...I think all of them do...but anyway, I pretty much figured that would force them to flash the PCM just to say they did something...and they did No issues after the reflash. I don't really notice any difference afterwards.

Old 08-09-2004 | 12:35 PM
|
just dropped the truck off at the dealer. service writer says that they do not have an open issue with the temp indicator system. he pretty much said if it doesnt screw up while they have it theres not much they can do. i asked about the reflash and he said if there is no check eng light on with a code he wouldnt reccomend it. so since it only screws up 10% of the time i am waiting for the call that tells me they couldnt duplicate it.

Old 08-15-2004 | 09:00 AM
|
the dealer ended up replacing the temp sensor. the gauge reads ok so far and the a/c works better. the service writer tells me that there is no relationship between the outside temp indicator system and the performance of the truck. i am not so sure. does any one have a better understanding or knowledge of this?

Old 08-15-2004 | 09:40 AM
Originally posted by projetmech
the dealer ended up replacing the temp sensor. the gauge reads ok so far and the a/c works better. the service writer tells me that there is no relationship between the outside temp indicator system and the performance of the truck. i am not so sure. does any one have a better understanding or knowledge of this?
There is an intake air temp (IAT) sensor in the intake system that the PCM uses for fuel management. The outside air temp sensor probably wouldn't affect engine performance but could affect A/C performance if you have the automatic system. I would bet that it uses this information to determine the A/C and heat output settings.

Quick Reply: Outside air temp indicator