2004 - 2008 F-150

not a shudder, more like a banging!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004 | 10:00 PM
|
Unhappy not a shudder, more like a banging!

I've had my truck since Feb. A few minor problems. Had the drive shaft greased and a reflash for the temp guage. On very rare occasions, I have had an audible and harsh "bang......BANG!" (or two pops) from the rear end. The first few times I wrote it off as the LS breaking in. Now it has done it twice in 3 days. Both times have been while turning, not sharply, from a complete stop. Today it happened as I turned from having driven on dirt roads all morning back onto pavement. I recall that the first time it happened I was re-entering pavement as well. Any thoughts? I will be getting it checked without a doubt, but I'll probably be unable to duplicate it on demand, or I would have taken it in already.

Old 08-08-2004 | 10:20 PM
me too!

I have the same problem and road with one of the Ford techs. He said it may be the clutch packs, so I'm waiting for the parts to come in.

Old 08-09-2004 | 08:34 AM
clutch packs a/o ring and pinion scenario.. My rig was doing it,
brought it in to dealer, they fixed, it now runs awesome.

Old 08-09-2004 | 04:02 PM
|
Did it get worse/ regular? I drove it today and no banging. Was there a way to make it happen on demand (for showing the technician)?

Old 08-09-2004 | 07:54 PM
No it didn't get worse and of course the dealer couldn't reproduce it either. It was doing it an average of one out of every 6 stops
and only from a take off, but since i bought it from this particular dealer and there is the ford tsb out on it they just ordered the parts and replaced it. I wouldn't take no for an answer, I kinda copped a total attitude ' cuz i caught the mechanic going over
40 mph in a 25 zone, he tried to give me the i'm trying to reproduce it line and i said " it only does it at speeds up to 5mph
so anything over that and your mistreating my truck, so get your fat a$$ out of it. He then in turn scratched my wheel while doing the fix ( i say intentionally , he denies it ) but the joke was on him ' cuz i got a free tonneau cover out of it.Anyway it's fixed, my
tonneau cover is the bomb, and the slacker mechanic was fired.

Old 08-09-2004 | 08:35 PM
My truck was doing the same thing a few months ago. It got worse as time went on, took it in to the dealer and told them to replace clutch packs and it fixed the problem completely.

Old 08-09-2004 | 09:09 PM
|
Thanks for the replies. I'll set up an appointment to take it in. Did a search on this site and printed the TSB out for ammo. Hope I don't have to cause a scene if they can't duplicate it.

Old 08-09-2004 | 10:20 PM
Exactly the same problem, truck has 14K miles it has been doing it for awhile. In the last month it will also happen taking off going straight as well. One small issue, the truck has 3.73 but does NOT have LS, thus no clutch packs. Is this problem/TSB supposedly for trucks w/3.73 LS only?

Thanks

Old 08-10-2004 | 10:43 AM
|
There was a TSB about a slight clunk that I also had and it was fixed by them greasing the driveshaft splines, not sure if that one was restricted to LS rears or not. What I'm getting now feels/sounds like the rear axle is popping out from under the truck. It's pretty harsh and loud.

Old 08-10-2004 | 12:21 PM
AZ04screw:

It sounds like I have the same "setup" as you do and I've noticed exactly what you describe. It seems to happen most from a dead stop, but it certainly doesn't happen every time, maybe one in ten or so. I've also felt/heard the same thing while accelerating from a rolling "stop". I need to try and find out if I can figure out exactly when this is happening so I can duplicate it when I bring it in to the dealer. Since others from all over the country are mentioning this problem, I guess I can't blame it on this AZ heat.

Old 08-10-2004 | 03:59 PM
Mine was doing it a couple thousand miles ago. Stealer replaced the clutch packs and now it's perfect.

Mine was more noticeable after sitting overnight. Also when turning from a dead stop.

Old 08-11-2004 | 12:34 AM
So if clutch packs are only in the rear ends with LS, what is the fix for those of us with the same problem but NO LS??

Quick Reply: not a shudder, more like a banging!