2004 - 2008 F-150

Friday The 13th - Dammed Truck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004 | 05:02 PM
|
Friday The 13th - Dammed Truck!!!

Well, tomorrow the FSE will look at my truck... It's fitting that it's Friday the 13th!!!

Not Fixed Yet:
1. Tailgate Straps: Right side longer, but it’s not the strap (they are not supposed to be like this).
2. Vibration: 4 types,
1. Step on the gas, rumbles through truck 10-15, 55-65, not like other ’04 F-150’s I have driven. I didn’t hear this from the start, because during break-in, I didn’t hit the gas at all.
2. If you have change in the cup holder or a drink, it amplifies the sound (all the time vibration) so you can really hear the harmonics of it. It vibrates the seats, wheel, radar detector on the front windshield, the rear seats and the jack. You can also hear the LFH door panel jingle around.
3. While at constant speeds, usually in OD, there is a whine/howl, that goes up and down. This sound was not there from the start (front end or rear)…
4. There is 1+ inches of steering wheel nibble (mainly 55-65) (very bad), warmer weather and it’s worse, very hot days the steering wheel almost gets ripped out of my hand.
3. Front brake dust problem and 2 grooved rotors
4. Wet rear end both sides of the rear diff.
5. Seatbelt stitching coming apart DLH
6. Paint on hood looks like it didn’t get completely covered (rough), front right corner

If the nibble is a “characteristic” of the truck, why doesn’t it say that in the brochure…

According to Michigan law, a lemon is a vehicle that has been in 3-4 times for the same problem or in the shop for 30+ days, if it is a safety issue, it is only 1-2 times.

1. I took my truck in for (day 1) for the tailgate straps not the same length or supporting the tailgate properly. They were replaced, but the issue still exists.
1. I took my truck in for (day 2) for a tire / vibration problem, thought it was just one tire’s tread separation. – Fixed with a new tire and rebalance. – Vibration still there.
2. I took my truck in for (day 3) for a tire / vibration problem, thought it was just another tire’s tread separation, also there was factory defects with the other 3 tires, so all four tires were replaced and rebalanced. Vibration still exists.
3. I took my truck in for (day 4) to fix the vibration, to replace some defective trim pieces, a broken gas door assembly, and rebalance tires (3rd time), still vibration.
4. I took my truck in for (days 5-13) to fix the vibration and the AC. They road force balanced the tires (4th time), and a vibration still exists. The ford engineer will be up to look at it.
5. I took my truck in for (days 14-15) to fix the vibration. (they will try driveshaft)? Also, the FSE will be here by 1:00 P.M. on Friday 13, 2004. How fitting for a dammed truck…

Old 08-12-2004 | 05:14 PM
My truck was built on friday the 13th and its still just as awsome as day one.

Old 08-12-2004 | 08:17 PM
I feel for ya, really I do. But how many different threads are you going to post your list of problems? I don't think posting them over and over is going to make them go away.

Old 08-13-2004 | 09:01 AM
Re: Friday The 13th - Dammed Truck!!!

Originally posted by mjninke

1. Tailgate Straps: Right side longer, but it’s not the strap (they are not supposed to be like this).

I think they are.

Everyone with this condition (which is the majority) have found that the straps are the same length.

I mentioned in a thread last week that I think the tailgate isnt lying flat.

I think this is due to the torsion bar holding one corner up a 1/4" higher than the other side.

I could be wrong but it seems to make the most sense.

Old 08-13-2004 | 10:12 AM
|
J-F150

J-F150 - If you go to the dealer now and look at the ones on the lot, they are no longer like that! Yes, the straps are the same length, but something is tweaked...

Old 08-13-2004 | 10:17 AM
|
Red Wing Nut

Red Wing Nut - I am sorry if that bothers you... Besides an update to this story, I am done posting that crap. I hope they fix it today, or give me a new truck. I love it, and hate driving the rental Focus...

These are great trucks, I just was unlucky... Like I have said earlier, I had an 2003 Ford Explorer which I bought new 5/03 and sold 5/04 to buy this truck. I even lost $6000 to buy the new truck. I didn't do anything in the 20,000 miles I had it except OLF, and tire rotations... Not a problem... One more reason to buy a new ford truck...

I even had my Chevy buddies convinced this truck is better than their trucks, but with it in the shop and when I drive over to their houses in a ford focus all the time, it makes it difficult to prove my case.

I was at the dealer yesterday venting, and the sales manager bitched at me for complaining about the truck in front of customers... Well if they or ford don't make this right, they will see complaining... Websites, yard signs, you name it... But they still have the benefit of the doubt!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2004 | 01:32 PM
|
Problems

Has anyone had this much trouble in 3000 miles???

Old 08-13-2004 | 01:33 PM
Nope, Just yours.

Old 08-13-2004 | 01:37 PM
|
???

Should I should be angry, frustrated???

Old 08-13-2004 | 05:17 PM
You should quiet down a bit..How about some prozac!

Old 08-13-2004 | 07:33 PM
Newbie here. Already a member of www.explorerforum.com (same user name) was strolling around the web and came across this site. Excellent site BTW since I am considering purchasing a new 2004 or 2005 F150. I do have some concerns though with Ford products. My current ride: a 2002 Explorer XLS has been in the shop 10 times since I bought it new (really sucks) for numerous problems. Having only read a few postings, I see that the new F-150's are having their share of problems as well. Is this because it is a new production model? Anyway look forward to doing some more research before I buy.

Old 08-14-2004 | 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Rscotts1
Newbie here. Already a member of www.explorerforum.com (same user name) was strolling around the web and came across this site. Excellent site BTW since I am considering purchasing a new 2004 or 2005 F150. I do have some concerns though with Ford products. My current ride: a 2002 Explorer XLS has been in the shop 10 times since I bought it new (really sucks) for numerous problems. Having only read a few postings, I see that the new F-150's are having their share of problems as well. Is this because it is a new production model? Anyway look forward to doing some more research before I buy.
There are a few problems in a LIMITED number of the new trucks. I wouldn't think twice buying another one! I can see why you would think it would have a lot of problems though... with about 5 threads listing problems. Thing is though, the thread creator is the same in all of them and he lists the same problems over and over again. Thats just my .02

Old 08-14-2004 | 09:48 PM
as late in the year most new bugs are gone. The 2005 will be even less but with design changes i expect it dont like it but still they'll get fixed

Old 08-14-2004 | 10:30 PM
Ford makes a LOT of F-150s. Simple statistics dictate that while the design may be great, you're going to have trucks roll off the line that just suck - maybe yours was built the morning after that all-line beer bash that went till 4am.

Every company can (and should) try to have 0 defects, but no company will ever make a vehicle line that has none throughout its production. If they did, nobody would ever buy any other brand.

I spent over a month researching and driving trucks, and I chose this F-150 as my very first American branded vehicle (my Accord was built in Ohio; I have no idea why that isn't considered American, but whatever). I have been under the impression for a long time that American vehicles were inferior, but all the research, test drives, and post-buying experience have convinced me that Ford at least has got it together when it comes to light duty trucks.

In any case, anyone who reads these threads and comes to the conclusion that all F-150s are flawed should consider that there's some pretty heavy reporting bias going on -- If I posted daily about how great my new truck is I'd be banned for boring people to death.

Here's hoping your truck gets fixed or they give you a new one, anyway.

Predictive

Quick Reply: Friday The 13th - Dammed Truck!!!