2004 - 2008 F-150

998 miles- going in today, my "old lady" list to fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004 | 10:23 PM
|
Post 998 miles- going in today, my "old lady" list to fix

I dropped it off at 7am today, my first service encounter. I had an “old woman’s” list of little things that could be corrected. Virgil was the name of the guy that helped me; he was very good and extremely nice about listening to me and getting me in right away with a loaner vehicle. Here’s my list FYI:

1. Steering wheel vibration starting about 50mph, worse at higher speeds. ( I know those General Ameritrac are crap) I had them road force balanced locally (at my expense because the dealer is 20 miles one way through traffic), and they had to install weights as follows: LF-7.5 oz.; LR-8.5 oz.; RF-9.0 oz; RR 5.75 oz. I suggested that either the tires were bad or the rims were bad. I offered to pay the difference if they put on better tires. He wasn’t sure if they would be able to do that, but he would call me. This is my biggest concern.

2. Excessive break dust (we all know about this). He also seemed to know about this problem and appeared to agree???? Different brake pads used on the Expi and Navigator (I gave him a part #) would take care of it. I found the part# on the F-150 On-Line Forum (BTW, was not a good #). I will have to see what happens.

3. Truck is lopsided. RR is 5/8” lower and RF is ˝” higher. Also the front bumper is on crooked. This was easy to see. May not be a real problem, but it is noticeable.

4. Poor gas mileage (may be my foot). 15mpg highway. No comment on this. I’m hoping a PCM flash will help.

5. Gas gage shows empty and “low fuel” light comes on with still 8 gal. in tank(I have 30 gal. tank). (He wanted to know how I knew that; it took 22 gal. to fill, 30 minus 22.........I'm a little worried).

I must admit, I LOVE this truck! I will post results, hopefully with everything resolved. I will be out of town 'till Monday. Comments and your "true life experiences" very welcome!

Blake

Old 08-18-2004 | 09:13 AM
On number 5, your profile states you have a Supercab. This comes with a 27 gal tank or 35.7 optional. The Supercrew has the 30 gal tank. You have either 5 o13.7 gals when low fuel light comes on.
The size of the tank is from the owners manual.

Old 08-18-2004 | 09:54 AM
I wouldn't mind getting rid of the excessive break dust, I'm working on my "old lady list" too.

Old 08-18-2004 | 10:36 AM
|
Thumbs up Thanks, Kingfish!

Thank you! I just called (although my manual is with the truck, so I trust you are correct) and they took #5 off the list. I, like a few others, just didn't bother to check the owners manual. Sorry!

Old 08-18-2004 | 03:18 PM
My bumper was crooked also. All it took was a socket set and loosen 4 bolts. Straighten it out and tighten back up. Took all of five minutes.

Old 08-18-2004 | 06:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

1. Steering wheel vibration starting about 50mph, worse at higher speeds. ( I know those General Ameritrac are crap) I had them road force balanced locally (at my expense because the dealer is 20 miles one way through traffic), and they had to install weights as follows: LF-7.5 oz.; LR-8.5 oz.; RF-9.0 oz; RR 5.75 oz. I suggested that either the tires were bad or the rims were bad. I offered to pay the difference if they put on better tires. He wasn’t sure if they would be able to do that, but he would call me. This is my biggest concern.
Generally speaking, any more than 6 ounces total weight to balance a tire is too much. And you're right, General tires absolutely suck.

2. Excessive break dust (we all know about this). He also seemed to know about this problem and appeared to agree???? Different brake pads used on the Expi and Navigator (I gave him a part #) would take care of it. I found the part# on the F-150 On-Line Forum (BTW, was not a good #). I will have to see what happens.
4L3Z-2001-BA? I know this is a good number for a Navigator or Expedition, I don't see why they wouldn't work on an F150.

Old 08-23-2004 | 11:53 PM
|
I picked it up at 10:00 am today (Monday, 8-23-04). Here are the repairs/explanations of my first experience at Ford in their exact words (in italics). (BTW my 1993 Nissan Pathfinder has never had a repair performed except wheel balancing, so I’m being watchful – I nearly bought a Titan (WHAT??).

Rebalanced all tires, all tires required rebalancing. RH side had incorrect wheel weights installed. (Had AL weights, not MC). Measured tires and wheels – check run-out.

Balanced Tires, all tires required rebalancing. RH side had incorrect wheel weights installed. (Had AL weights, not MC). Measured tires and wheels – check run-out.

When I called to pick it up on Thursday, I was informed it was sent out to have road force balancing. Not sure where they took it, but here is the write-up: Tire run out as follows: .050, .048, .045, .040. All tires were marked on the inside of their respective run out. Need to check with manufacturer for allowable run out. Balance (road force) all four tires.

This is a normal condition caused by the design of Fords brake pads, that increase rotor life and brake pedal feel. (The Expi does have improved pads, but they will not fit on the F-150 https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...+dust+new+pads )

3. Truck is lopsided. RR is 5/8” lower and RF is ˝” higher. Also the front bumper is on crooked. This was easy to see. May not be a real problem, but it is noticeable.

Measured vehicle ride high. Front high is equal side to side. Rear is within .125in side to side. Measured height floor to fender lip on vehicle to check body lean. Front is identical side to side at 36.75” Right rear is 39.75” left rear is 39.675”.
Adjusted front bumper.

4. Poor gas mileage (may be my foot). 15mpg highway. No comment on this. I’m hoping a PCM flash will help.

EEC test. No codes present. No problem found at this time. (PCM flash done anyway).

5. Gas gage shows empty and “low fuel” light comes on with still 8 gal. in tank(I have 30 gal. tank). (He wanted to know how I knew that; it took 22 gal. to fill, 30 minus 22.........I'm a little worried).

I CALLED AND CANCELLED THIS (SEE ABOUE POST)

I must acknowledge, I still LOVE this truck! I took it up to 80 mph today and the vibes are gone; smooth and quiet as can be. I will be able to live with the break dust considering the performance issue; I will try “Mr. Clean” https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ght=brake+dust . The bumper is now straight. I will post additional results as they occur. Further observations about your truck and comments are welcome!

Blake

Old 08-24-2004 | 06:50 AM
Please let us know about the gas mileage. Did it go up with the PCM flash or is the 15mpg highway a result of leadfootitus...

Old 08-24-2004 | 09:29 AM
|
Question PCM Gas Mileage

Originally posted by MRILEY
Please let us know about the gas mileage. Did it go up with the PCM flash or is the 15mpg highway a result of leadfootitus...
I will post on my next fill; I don't think the PCM flash had any improvements for mileage.

Old 08-24-2004 | 10:02 AM
I’ve been averaging 16mpg, all local driving, using Citco 87. I got a Screw 4x2 with a 3.55:1 LS rear. I do drive conservatively, but I’m not blocking traffic either.

Old 08-24-2004 | 10:06 AM
Moderator &
Re: Thanks, Kingfish!

Originally posted by MtkaBlake
Thank you! I just called (although my manual is with the truck, so I trust you are correct) and they took #5 off the list. I, like a few others, just didn't bother to check the owners manual. Sorry!
Aren't these forums great? Information oozes from the proverbial depths of f150online!

Old 09-03-2004 | 11:52 PM
|
MPG

Originally posted by MRILEY
Filled up today;12.9mpg. Combination 50/50 highway/city. I think I will need to go back to the same station, park in the same spot, and check mpg's again. I was parked front end down and leaning to passenger side. I think this might be the max gallons vs. level or any other position. I also have had a lead foot lately.

BTY, ALL my steering wheel vibes are gone! The road force balance, done first by Tires Plus, and then by the dealer (they sent it to Mike's Tires in Little Canada) took care of any steering wheel nibble. It's now like riding on a cushion of air. Unbelievable!

Old 09-04-2004 | 06:29 PM
lol you guys are lucky, im getting 10.4 mpg, all city driving...i guess i gotta learn how to drive a rwd v8 truck, im used to a 4cyl. fwd car lol

Old 09-04-2004 | 09:57 PM
About the brake dust, at some online store I saw something that is supposed to block brake dust. Im not sure how good they work, but id like to find out more about them, sounds like a good fathers day present for my dad.

Quick Reply: 998 miles- going in today, my "old lady" list to fix