2004 - 2008 F-150

High Pitched Squeel

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004 | 01:36 PM
|
1969Mach...I am glad someone is hearing the same thing I am hearing. I also took the truck out of OD and the sound stopped. You are right about the RPM range. The sound is so ear-piercing..it gave me the worst headache I have had in a long time. I dont think it is the mirrors because I put one window down at a time and the noise did not get any louder...just muffled it more because of the air in the cab. Let me know what you find 1969Mach.....I am going to try to replicate it tonight and have someone ride with me so we can track it down

Old 12-22-2004 | 09:13 AM
My Dad's 04 F150 does the exact same thing. In fact we drove it 60 miles yesterday with it doing it REALLY bad at 59...and sometimes at other speeds. If you do anything to change engine rpm....like take it out of OD, it stops.
We took it to the dealer, but of course it wouldn't do it then.
Hope we can figure this out!
It well drive you crazy.

Old 12-25-2004 | 10:07 PM
Happened to me for the first time tonight as well. It is an eerie sound! For me it happens at 71mph and immediately stops when i hit the o/d button but returns as soon as it goes back into o/d. Torque converter?

Old 12-26-2004 | 01:35 AM
I've heard that noise.

I have a customer at work whose truck makes that noise. Goes away as soon as engine rpm is changed. ONLY does it in the cold weather. I roadtested with him and it is very annoying. He's coming back for me to look at it later. Hopefully I can find the problem.

Old 12-26-2004 | 01:38 AM
Re: I've heard that noise.

Originally posted by taterthedog
I have a customer at work whose truck makes that noise. Goes away as soon as engine rpm is changed. ONLY does it in the cold weather. I roadtested with him and it is very annoying. He's coming back for me to look at it later. Hopefully I can find the problem.
Keep us updated!!

Old 12-26-2004 | 06:24 AM
Had it happen to me the other mornin' at about -3*F.

My first thought was air intake squeel.

Didn't seem to sound like the normal belt squeel to me.

Old 12-26-2004 | 08:06 AM
howl

there was a tsb about a howl on driver side at hwy speeds it seems that a o ring where the air intake that gos through the fender on drivers side had come off or the intake hose assb was not pushed all the way in the hole.if you had an oil change when this started its possible the mech by mistake knocked it lose.its the black plastic tube that runs to your air filter, check it at the fender.

Old 12-26-2004 | 09:10 AM
Hey mine does the same thing. I also thought it was nothing but the more I think about it, it almost sounds like it is coming from the throttle body. Mine does it at steady states, non speed dependent, I can get it to whistle pretty good as soon as I start a very gentle tip in.....hope fully there is an answer to it as it is very annoying..........

Old 12-26-2004 | 11:20 AM
Originally posted by LightningKid
Hey mine does the same thing. I also thought it was nothing but the more I think about it, it almost sounds like it is coming from the throttle body. Mine does it at steady states, non speed dependent, I can get it to whistle pretty good as soon as I start a very gentle tip in.....hope fully there is an answer to it as it is very annoying..........
I am having the same thing, exactly. If I feather the gas pedal I can make it happen at lower speeds. It's a high pitched whistle. Not vey loud, but noticalbe and annoying. I tightened up all my aftermarket intake parts and it's still happening. It almost sounds like a very small vacuum leak. It won't do it in Park, only when in gear. I got going about 30mph and put it neutral and feathered the gas pedal and couldn't make it happen. It seems to happen only when the engine is under light load. I will be doing some more investigation today. The dealer is my last resort because I'd rather not be without my truck for 5 days only to return and find out they didn't fix it. LOL

Old 12-26-2004 | 06:47 PM
Moderator &
Re: howl

My first suggestion was to check the passenger seat and eject and expel any women... (jk of course... kinda)

Secondly, I recall seeing something along the lines of what pinky mentioned.....

Originally posted by pinky44943
there was a tsb about a howl on driver side at hwy speeds ...

RP

Old 12-26-2004 | 09:22 PM
I just picked up my '04 Supercab 4x4 5.4L on dec 23... used with 29k miles.
This morning I heard the high pitched squeeling from inside the house as my wife was leaving in the truck. It was 18F this morning. It may have started as soon as the truck was started up, and stopped about the time she pulled on onto the road about 30-40secs later. I also heard it breifly yesterday when first starting up. I've never heard it at speed though... weird.

Old 12-26-2004 | 11:07 PM
The only high pitched squeel i get is when my wife is in the passenger seat.
I dont think ford has found a fix for that problem yet, but we can always hope for the best. I just turn the radio up till i dont hear it anymore.

Later Trev.
(Humour for the married guys)

P.S. I just couldnt resist, it was the first thing that popped into my head when i read the subject.

Old 12-27-2004 | 12:45 AM
Moderator &
Originally posted by 1 KRAZY KANUCK
P.S. I just couldnt resist, it was the first thing that popped into my head when i read the subject.
I think we were thinking alike... (see my post two up).

RP

Old 12-27-2004 | 01:51 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
I think we were thinking alike... (see my post two up).

RP
Yeah i guess i better make sure a read all the posts before i respond, go figure.
Later Trev

Old 12-27-2004 | 02:16 PM
Re: Re: howl

Originally posted by RockPick
My first suggestion was to check the passenger seat and eject and expel any women... (jk of course... kinda)

Secondly, I recall seeing something along the lines of what pinky mentioned.....

RP

I too recall the air intake issue....

and RP... be careful... she'll get half the house and half the truck!

Quick Reply: High Pitched Squeel