2004 - 2008 F-150

High Pitched Squeel

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004 | 10:21 PM
|
Question High Pitched Squeel

My truck has 13,500 miles on it, Just had an oil change 400 miles ago. For some reason my truck has now developed a high pitched squeel. It occurs when I drive at 51 & 59 mph. If I go any faster or slower than those speeds the squeel goes away. It is present if I have the cruise control on or off, 2wd or 4wd; defrost,heat,ac on/off. I shut the truck completely off and began driving again...but the squeel came back. It sounds as though it is coming from behind the instrument panel in the dash. My truck is an 04 fx4 scab. I would appreciate any ideas as to what it may be so I can get it looked at. Also, unsure if it would have any bearing on the matter...but it is 3 degrees outside, unsure if temperature related.

Old 12-19-2004 | 10:26 PM
At least you're 3 degrees warmer than here. Did you notice it before the temp. drop? Could be the bearing in the blower motor if it is coming from the passenger side under the dash.

Old 12-19-2004 | 10:27 PM
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say the serpentine belt! And yes, I'm gonna say it was due to the xtreme temps....

Can you duplicate the sound my reving the engine in your driveway?

Old 12-19-2004 | 10:27 PM
|
No I have never heard it before until this evening. I am hoping it is just the cold weather...you know how it causes all those other creaks and cracks......

Old 12-19-2004 | 10:30 PM
|
I have been needing a good excuse to buy the belt from troyer...also be a good time to buy the 1714 i believe...Thank you for the idea I appreciate it and will let you know Also...It did it the entire way home, which was about a 45 minute drive, about 30 miles. It wont do it by just revving the motor. It only wants to do it when driving at the above mentioned speeds..which is really strange

Last edited by S_Service; 12-19-2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2004 | 10:33 PM
Hey D? What's up with the auto descrption under your name? Get rid of the Lariat or what? I guess it could be a Fiat.

Old 12-19-2004 | 10:35 PM
Originally posted by chemgod
Hey D? What's up with the auto descrption under your name? Get rid of the Lariat or what? I guess it could be a Fiat.
I'm doing my part to save the planet by driving a more fuel-friendly vehicle... never mind the emissions quality...

S_Service - Hmmmm... if it's not doing it by reving the engine, that kinda shoots the belt theory, doesn't it? Very strange...

Old 12-19-2004 | 10:37 PM
Old 12-19-2004 | 10:53 PM
Vaccuum leak maybe? Hard to say without actually hearing it and trying to follow the noise back to the source.

Old 12-19-2004 | 10:56 PM
|
I know, it is a hard to describe noise. It is just an extremely high ear piercing squeel. Almost like if you were boiling water on the stove in one of those old fashioned things when it starts to squeel when the steam is coming out of it. I tried tracking the sound down but it was hard to do while driving, and the fact that there was ice on the road. It definitely is coming from the drivers side area though. And i believe it is coming from around where the windshield and dash meet; because it is very faint and hard to hear from underneath the dash.

Old 12-19-2004 | 11:10 PM
I've read a couple posts about leaking windshields and loose cowling pieces as well. Not common, but possible.

Old 12-20-2004 | 12:53 AM
Sounds Wierd,
Put a pair of vise grips on your return heater hose, (under the hood) just enough to slow the water flow. Sometimes there is too much water flow over the heater core that it whistles. Ran 60,000 miles with a pair installed.

Old 12-20-2004 | 01:10 AM
Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
I've read a couple posts about leaking windshields and loose cowling pieces as well. Not common, but possible.
I was going to suggest a possible windshield leak as well...

Old 12-20-2004 | 08:51 AM
Re: High Pitched Squeel

Originally posted by S_Service
It occurs when I drive at 51 & 59 mph. If I go any faster or slower than those speeds the squeel goes away. It is present if I have the cruise control on or off, 2wd or 4wd; defrost,heat,ac on/off. I shut the truck completely off and began driving again...but the squeel came back. It sounds as though it is coming from behind the instrument panel in the dash. My truck is an 04 fx4 scab. I would appreciate any ideas as to what it may be so I can get it looked at. Also, unsure if it would have any bearing on the matter...but it is 3 degrees outside, unsure if temperature related.
I HAVE THE SAME THING!!!

Yes! It is because of the cold weather! NO, I still haven't figured out what it is.

Just before I went hunting a couple weeks back, it was a colder morning here, about 0 degrees, and I thought I had noticed it.
Then, when I went hunting, it was sub zero for the whole trip, and when I was driving between 53 and 56 mph, I would here that. My engine rpm was somewhere around 1350 RPM, or in that neighborhood. Is that about when you are hearing it? I would de-activate the over drive, and when the RPM would jump up in 3rd gear, it would stop the noise at the same speed. Put OD back on, and bam, theres that creepy noise again. I was thinking maybe it was the alternator, but it really does sound like it's coming from just behind the dash.

For the rest of you, it is NOT the belt. It is really more like a whistle, or like a mechanical pitch when two pieces of steel make a squeal rubbing together. It is very strange. Its like ghost shrieking in a cheap B-Flick.

Anyway S Service, it's supposed to be colder here again at the end of the week, and I'll have time to dig in a little more. If I find anything, I'll let you know immediately.

Old 12-20-2004 | 09:27 AM
Another suggestion: it's your mirrors. Every now and again with the right headwind and speed, the mirrors whistle! Sounds very funny for a few minutes, then downright annoying!

Quick Reply: High Pitched Squeel