2004 - 2008 F-150

Safety issues with supercab doors

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004 | 02:13 PM
|
Originally posted by JTFORD
That red F-150 wont come close to 140 mph. The limiter comes in at about 105.
All these posts are great, they really are. Made my day.

YES THIS RED FORD will go to the T in lariat and still gain, Im talking about the T in the word lariat in the speedo so guess what that should be around 135.

Have you all heard of a lil product from troyer called the 1714 tuner, it allows the truck to go over 100.

This has truely cracked me up.

Mod please delete this post, before I go bp on someone that has no idea how fast my truck goes, and missed my initial question of doors coming open.

Im sure it was just the latch at the top of the supercab door not catching properly and I assumed it was closed because I slamed it but it poped back open from the top...I solved it.

Old 12-28-2004 | 02:37 PM
Re: Safety issues with supercab doors

Originally posted by 04 RED LARIAT
On my home this evening some hot girl in a mitsu was racing with me.
I was hitting around 120 and on slight left hand curves I could hear my passenger side doors as if they were just going to bust open. It was only on left hand curves and all doors were closed properly.

I am just wondering if these doors and the cab would be safe in a rollover, or just bust open cause they sure sounded like they was coming open earlier.

My buddie in the truck was tring to climb over the console on me cause he thought he was gona be sucked out the doors.

You are probably both an idiot and an attention *****.

If I was your buddy, I'd kick your teeth in for a stunt like that.

And now you ask if it's safe after the fact?

Idiot is about right.

No respect for other people's safety in your vehicle or others on the road.

Keep laughing.

Last edited by markc; 12-28-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2004 | 02:47 PM
|
Old 12-28-2004 | 03:05 PM
I think that you guys are all missing the point, while going an excessive speed is dangerous and not very smart, he brings a valid point about the doors. If going around a curve puts enough force on the vehicle to start bringing the doors open, it might be a possibility that they could come open in a rollover at normal highway speed. I'm not an engineer, but I'm just guessing.

posted by Labrador:
(BS! The top of rear door not latching was one of my complaints to the DSB. I had to slam my rear door shut to make it latch. If you close the door like my wife did many a time, the bottom latch will catch and not the top. No warning alarm or door ajar lights, nothing! I wouldn’t know that the latch was not secure until I got up to 50 miles and hour and the wind noise came through the door, or a big bump would make the door sound like a bass drum. The Ford FSE said that my truck did not have a problem but it did!. The door ajar alarm should be attached to the top and bottom of the rear door as well as the front doors, because one of the rear door latchs fail to catch the front door will come open in an wreak. Some people have filed complaints with NHTSA about the rear door top latch not working.)

Obviously someone else has had a issue with this as well and it's an issue that needs to be addressed. Granted red lariat's issue came up in an un-orthodox, but there's no reason to turn this into another hit and run/abs thread.

Old 12-28-2004 | 04:02 PM
i don't think we are missing the point. this is only an issue for the *** who wants to drive his truck at these insane speeds and then complain because it's making noises....this issue has no merit IMO!

ok, so there might be an issue with his doors possibly sounding like they could maybe open when he is cornering at speeds of 120 mph or more in a 3 ton pickup truck. (now read that again and think about it. that's is just absolutley, totally absurd.)

do you really think that this truck was designed to opperate at speeds of 120mph or more? hmmm...i wonder why they put that speed limiter on there? do you really think ford stuck this truck in a wind tunnel and blasted it with hurricane force winds? i don't think so. why would they.

are you gonna sue ford or maybe BFG when you blow you of your tires because they weren't designed for those speeds? this will be the guy who is rippin the service manager a 'new one' because his hood vibrates at 140mph and the service dept. can't duplicte the problem. i bet his wipers don't work too good at those speeds. we better contact ford, they need to issue a recall!

Old 12-28-2004 | 04:10 PM
My truck doors make the same noises when backing out of the driveway. Thanks to this thread I've discovered that the top latch isn't always catching and I need to be more attentive when closing the rear doors.

I'll ignore the 140 mph issue. It's like someone has been swinging a big idiot stick around and managed to hit almost everybody with it.

Old 12-28-2004 | 04:36 PM
Originally posted by 04fx4Scab
i don't think we are missing the point. this is only an issue for the *** who wants to drive his truck at these insane speeds and then complain because it's making noises....this issue has no merit IMO!

ok, so there might be an issue with his doors possibly sounding like they could maybe open when he is cornering at speeds of 120 mph or more in a 3 ton pickup truck. (now read that again and think about it. that's is just absolutley, totally absurd.)

do you really think that this truck was designed to opperate at speeds of 120mph or more? hmmm...i wonder why they put that speed limiter on there? do you really think ford stuck this truck in a wind tunnel and blasted it with hurricane force winds? i don't think so. why would they.

are you gonna sue ford or maybe BFG when you blow you of your tires because they weren't designed for those speeds? this will be the guy who is rippin the service manager a 'new one' because his hood vibrates at 140mph and the service dept. can't duplicte the problem. i bet his wipers don't work too good at those speeds. we better contact ford, they need to issue a recall!
This is exactly the point I'm making, you need to read and understand what the issue is. Like I said in my initial post, yeah the guy's not smart for driving his truck that fast, but he still brings up an issue that other people have a problem with and this thread was started to discuss a problem with the door latches. Amazingly, some people did resist the urge to play dad and look at the point he was bringing up (like what was qouted in my initial post). We all know it's not safe to drive a three ton truck at 120 mph, you're not geniuses for pointing that out to somebody.

Old 12-28-2004 | 04:59 PM
|
Exactly, Its not like I go out and do this speed ball run everyday of my life. The truck has been over 100mph maybe 4 times since I have had it.

Where I live here in the east ky sticks not alot of cars are on the roads, unlike where most of you drive. So you can actually go 15 miles and never see a car at certain times.

I never expected for people to give me the bit about the speed issue, just looking out for some of you that may have kids and them be inside the cab and the freaking doors fly open, at any speed, and my passengers.

Just make sure your doors are latched properly.

I guess I learned to just ask a simple question from this post and not tell my story in asking the question.

Old 12-28-2004 | 05:46 PM
I dont think its bad to open her up once and a while. I live it when another f150 or other make pulls up to you on the highway and you find both yourself and them gradually increasing speed. Then you know who has the power programmer as the other driver looks at his gauges.

Seriously, i get on some straight highway with minimal traffic and open her up. The people that anger me are the lane changers. Theres no need to bounce around all the lanes above the speed limit and with no respect to others.

For the record I had the little 4.6 up to 120 then I backed off. It felt like it had more, but 120 is good.

Old 12-28-2004 | 07:10 PM
If you guys like going fast, buy a fast car and stop being a bunch of idiots.... or in some of your cases, you could have had a ferrari for what you paid for your truck, that is if they would finance you...Then you could get killed in that cuz you dont know how to drive! Any way you look at it its a stupid post... and if there is a problem with the latches, there will be a recall. But for now, just make sure your rear doors are securely latched both top and bottom... And as for you guys with small ****s going over a 100 mph in a full size truck.... remember how you feel when someone close to you gets killed buy an *** like you driving like a retard tryin to get a "hot" bitch 2 notice them... Dont get me wrong I love hot girls, but not enough to put my life, let alone my friends life in jeopardy!

Old 12-28-2004 | 07:17 PM
My 5.4 F150 SCAB is two months old now and still mostly stock, with the exception of Leer Cap, Nerf, & liner.
I've done 90mph on an open highway and it drove smooth as glass. I felt safe and I had plenty more revs to apply but I would not since I own a truck and it should be treated as such. Anyway, What's to say I hit a head wind of 30mph? This would bring my effective arrow dynamics to the original 120mph that is vibrating the back door in question. If there is a problem I would like to know about it. Keep this thread open as I think it is viable concern. Anyone that wants to be guinea pigs and speed in the name of science please do so safely without killing anyone and let me know what shakes, rattles, or rolls.

Old 12-28-2004 | 07:18 PM
u must be an engineer......

Old 12-28-2004 | 07:41 PM
Nope.. But your close. I work in Design.

Old 12-28-2004 | 08:30 PM
|
Originally posted by jhartz
If you guys like going fast, buy a fast car and stop being a bunch of idiots.... or in some of your cases, you could have had a ferrari for what you paid for your truck, that is if they would finance you...Then you could get killed in that cuz you dont know how to drive! Any way you look at it its a stupid post... and if there is a problem with the latches, there will be a recall. But for now, just make sure your rear doors are securely latched both top and bottom... And as for you guys with small ****s going over a 100 mph in a full size truck.... remember how you feel when someone close to you gets killed buy an *** like you driving like a retard tryin to get a "hot" bitch 2 notice them... Dont get me wrong I love hot girls, but not enough to put my life, let alone my friends life in jeopardy!
For the record the girl started it by passing me, it was all I could do to get around her at 120. And I do have several fast cars, I could wreck just as easy in a fast car than a truck.

And I assure you I CAN drive very well

Old 12-28-2004 | 09:10 PM
I peel guys like you out of mangled wreckage for a living, so thank you for the job security. When guys like you get a fatal dose of steering wheel or windshield poisoning I consider it the process of natural selection. It's very saddening however to see the innocent suffer and die because of your lunacy. Your door latch is the very least of your concerns.

Quick Reply: Safety issues with supercab doors