2004 - 2008 F-150

Dead tranny, 96 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005 | 12:25 PM
|
Dead tranny, 96 miles!

Picked up my 2004 FX4 S/C last night. This morning on the way to work I got a TRANS FAULT message while driving 70 on the interstate. Took the next exit and the truck would not go into any gear. The bottom of the truck was covered in fluid!

Only 96 miles on the truck! I am thinking seriously about demanding a different rig; I haven't even turned in the signed paperwork since I had to take it all home to have my wife sign!

Grrrrrr!

Old 01-07-2005 | 12:29 PM
That hella-sucks. Sounds like something wasn't up to par... have no fear, I'm sure your dealer will patch it up good as new.

Why demand a different rig when it could have been a tranny seal or somthing silly? Just get it to the dealer and express your concern.

Old 01-07-2005 | 01:09 PM
Its one part of the truck and no way affects everything else. So you got a F'up tranny. Ford will fix it, and clean up all the fluid. Then you'll probably find it to be the best truck you've ever owned. The problems that can be easily diagnosed are gonna be the ones that don't reoccur cause they will likely be fixed right in the first place. Now if you had a new tranny put in and it went again, and then again and again, go to a different dealer, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Old 01-07-2005 | 01:14 PM
Since you haven't signed the papers just get a different truck. Unless you are set on the one you drove home. Tell the dealer you are going to shop around at another dealership that has something similar. I bet they drop the price $500+ for you to sign today on the broken tranny truck...

I bought a dryer last night because the old one died. We brought it home and I installed it. It didn't heat and the start button had to be held down for it to run. I am going to return it tonight and get another one in its place. Why should I have to sit at home for a day for the repair man to come and diagnose a problem and then come back another day to fix the problem?

Old 01-07-2005 | 01:23 PM
Since you have the paperwork, I'm sure you can squeeze something out of the dealer if you stick with the repaired truck. Price drop or try and get some accessories for free, or maybe an extended warranty if you didn't already have one. Then again I wouldn't balme you from walking away from that one either. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2005 | 02:09 PM
yeah get some free stuff from ford, a better price, accessories something. If they dont wanna talk about it tell em that you really have to do some thinking about whether or not you can put your money into something that broke so soon and walk ur butt on outta there, unless your price was so great that you wont be able to get it anywhere else. Id make a copy of the dealer breakdown to take it with me to another dealer for a price match. When you go to your original dealer make sure u try and get your salesman, he will fight a bit harder for his money than some random guy.

Old 01-07-2005 | 02:11 PM
Sales manager will rip the salesman who let that sale get away!

Old 01-07-2005 | 03:46 PM
|
Just got a call from my service advisor...apparently, there is a blown front pump seal!? Was the tranny assembled incorrectly, or what? He said the transmission would be torn down tomorrow, appropriate parts would be ordered overnight, and it might be ready by Tuesday.

What do you guys think? Should I just try to get a different truck?

Old 01-07-2005 | 03:48 PM
If you keep that one definetly make them give you something.

Old 01-07-2005 | 03:49 PM
Tell them to take $800 off the price of the truck. If not you are walking to the next dealer.
They will give you something to take that truck. Unless they are already losing money on the deal which no self respecting car dealer ever does.

Old 01-07-2005 | 03:55 PM
It could be a sign of things to come. Hand it back and get another one. That problem will always be in the back of your head if you keep it.

Old 01-07-2005 | 03:58 PM
Sounds like it wasn't built correctly, or built with a defective part. Although your dealer didn't have anything to do with it, I wouldn't take the truck. Bad MOJO from FOMOCO. Get a different one.

Old 01-07-2005 | 04:27 PM
That’s a tough call if you haven’t signed the paper work and are not obligated yet. Did the dealer come get it and tow it back to the shop? You need to do whatever makes you and your wife comfortable. I would probably want a different truck

Old 01-07-2005 | 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Arctic Cat F7
It could be a sign of things to come. Hand it back and get another one. That problem will always be in the back of your head if you keep it.

Excellent point. I would get another truck AND try to squeeze something out of them, just because of the inconvienence you went thru. Can't hurt to try. If you decide to try and get another truck, I would do it asap, don't wait till they fix the tranny. I assume they gave you a FREE comparable rental to drive while the tranny is being fixed?

Old 01-07-2005 | 06:05 PM
why would they give him a loaner car when he hasn't even signed paperwork?

Quick Reply: Dead tranny, 96 miles!