2004 - 2008 F-150

expedition vs f150

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005 | 02:30 AM
|
expedition vs f150

Well, business is somewhat good and my 99 F150 ex cab just turned over 100k..... so it's getting to be time for a new rig... my 5 yr old can barely fit in the back of my ex cab so I am looking at either a 2004 f150 crew or a 2003 or 04 expedition.... Because I put about 25 - 30k per year on for my work I just can't justify buying a new truck... the most economical choice seems to be a year old with 10-20k to let someone else take some of the depreciation, while keeping the truck under warranty....

Question:
How much better performance does the f150 have as far as handling, etc.? Any reason to go with one over the other? The exp. seems to have a few more bells and whistles but I am not really sold on that stuff. I know the power is the same.... how about the 300hp 5.4L? Is that just in the new 05's?

For me the difference in these two trucks is just my minimal number of tools being inside (expedition) or in a canopy (f150)... the small bed on a f150 crew is pretty much useless for moving any lumber.... why do they not make a 6.5ft bed with the crew cab f150? just because I want to move the occaisonal sheet of plywood doesn't mean I want a 21 foot truck (superduty).... I have managed with my 6.5ft bed on my 99 f150 but just can't get by with a smaller bed.... so, I will inevitably buy a junker work truck to move the gravel, plywood, etc.... I was pretty much sold on the expedition but the f150's just feel like a better driver...

thanks for any advice....

Old 01-10-2005 | 02:46 AM
IMO, if you're strictly going to be using it for a family hauler, then go with the expy. It has bigger seating capacity with 3rd row (even though it is tight back there). Plus you can stow all that family gear in the back, and still have it protected from the elements. A/C vents are better (more) in the expy. On the other hand, if you're going to be doing ANY hauling with this vehicle, then I'd go with the F150 because it has a bed. If I had a nice expy, the last thing I would want to do is mess up the interior trying to haul a few bags of cement & sand

Old 01-10-2005 | 02:48 AM
Well if you do any construction work, the F150 would be the way to go. I am not to sure what you are worried about with the truck bed on the crew cab, but i have carried 30 sheets of 4X8 1/2" drywall & 20 2X4X8' wood studs with no problems what so ever. All you do is fold down the tailgate and load the truck up.

I also think the F150 drives alot better then the Exp. does, and it looks alot better as well.
Just my 2 cents.
Trev

Old 01-10-2005 | 07:19 AM
Well, just food for thought, you may want to test out a SuperCab. There is a lot more room in the rear that previous years, and it is more comfortable also. My fiances younger brother, 14, has no trouble fitting back there with the passenger seat up just a little. He says it is very comfortable to ride in. This way, you could have your 6.5' bed, and still be comfortable. Just something to consider. Although you may not be even remotely thinking about a SuperCab, I still think that the Crew would be the way to go over the Expy if those are strictly the only two options. You just need to look at what you will be doing more, family hauling or work hauling. Hope I helped!

Old 01-10-2005 | 10:29 AM
Just do what I did and bite the bullet . . . I bought both. Got an '04 Lariat Scab 4x4 for me and an '04 EB Expy for the wife. The worst part is every mod I want to do, she says OK as long as I do to her truck as well.

Old 01-10-2005 | 10:32 AM
The 05 Expy is the first one with the 300hp engine. My 04 has something like 250 hp. It is adequate, but the 05 is a rocket by comparison and gets better mileage besides.

Old 01-10-2005 | 11:44 AM
Don't forget that these new trucks have higher bedsides and so the tailgate in longer when down. When you fold the tailgate down on a 5.5 bed it is about 7.5 foot length, so you can easily haul 4x8 sheets of plywood and 8' long dimensional lumber.

I was in the same predictament as you and I went with the F-150 instead of the expy just for the hauling capability. I don't think you can easily put 4x8 sheets of paneling in the back of a expy (or I might have gotten one!)

I am getting a A.R.E. z-series canopy and a bedrug bedliner (I am setting up a living room in my truck bed)

Quick Reply: expedition vs f150