2004 - 2008 F-150

Strobes are Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the rear end, to the cab, where did you run the wires?
(assuming the brain is under the dash). Under the truck? If so, where did you enter the cab at? All the way to the engine, and through the firewall?

Also, This is a 6 strobe setup. Did you do headlights, fogs, and rear tail?

I couldnt see the strobe in the headlights in your video if that is what you did.

Very VERY nice setup. Especially for a firefighter using his own truck for business! or else to annoy the hell out of Grandpa driver ahead of you driving 40MPH in a 70MPH zone.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Banned
Originally posted by 04SCREW98COBRA
Wow, we have another one like TRITONXLT!

HEY! I heard that!

Old 02-20-2005, 08:19 PM
i plan on getting some some day, Im a storm spotter for National Weather Service. They come in handy!

and yes, they are cool. gives it a pace car, errr truck feel!

Old 02-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Doc, just checked out the video, the strobes look badass. I ain't EMS or fire, but it'd be cool to have 'em on my truck. That'll be on the list of things to do.

Definitely cool, dood.

Old 02-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by DrPaul84
yea you drill a 1" hole into your lights....if you buy from buckeyepublic safety... (which i recomend) tell them you want the grommet style bulbs...
Don't want to step on any toes here but lighting is right up my alley.

DrPaul...Whelen does NOT recommend grommet style strobe tubes with it's 90 watt power supplies. The rubber grommet does not "shead" heat as well as the ABS base style. There is a reason the 660 kits come with grommet style and 690 kits come with screw affixed style tubes.

Secondly, why would you buy from a non-authorized dealer of a particular product? Buckeyepublicsafety is a re-seller and not an authorized dealer for Whelen. Truth be told, thier products are repairs/returns and such purchased from Galls. Check around, most factory authorized dealers will match or beat buckeyes price and you know where the product has been.

My 0.02...purchase a Whelen S690Kit. All comes in factory sealed carton with genuine Whelen parts and not piece meal out of some returned/repair sale bin. FYI, buckeye is run out of a photgraphy studio in Ohio...

Old 12-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Nice Strobes

I like your lights. I also installed some on my 05 f150 lariat. I took the lights off my cousins police interceptor. He bought the car at the auction and had no use for the lights.

Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by 05 Thunder
Don't want to step on any toes here but lighting is right up my alley.

DrPaul...Whelen does NOT recommend grommet style strobe tubes with it's 90 watt power supplies. The rubber grommet does not "shead" heat as well as the ABS base style. There is a reason the 660 kits come with grommet style and 690 kits come with screw affixed style tubes.

Secondly, why would you buy from a non-authorized dealer of a particular product? Buckeyepublicsafety is a re-seller and not an authorized dealer for Whelen. Truth be told, thier products are repairs/returns and such purchased from Galls. Check around, most factory authorized dealers will match or beat buckeyes price and you know where the product has been.

My 0.02...purchase a Whelen S690Kit. All comes in factory sealed carton with genuine Whelen parts and not piece meal out of some returned/repair sale bin. FYI, buckeye is run out of a photgraphy studio in Ohio...
ive had no problems using the rubber grommet tubes (nor has the police department which uses the rubber grommets in ALL there vehicles, secondly i have had no problems with buckeypublic safety and whelen has had no problem with any warranty work needed to be done, and the parts are no returned/refurbed because they have those "born on" dates from whelen and the power supplies where brand new made within the month i purchased them, oh well....

Old 12-14-2005, 04:46 PM
k well any ways, AWSOME TRUCK!

Old 12-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Doc, truck looks great. I also have a white 05 loaded up with strobes and LEDS. I went with Tomar strobes in the headlights and tails. You do need to remove then to install. If you instal strobes, don't touch the strobe. (glass) Once you get the oil from your hands on them, it cuts the life of the strobe drastically. As for your choice of siren. I sold Sho-Me sirens to afew people on my dept, until I heard them. Go with a Federal Signal siren, better quality and sound. Just my .02. I ended up getting a Federal EQ2B. No matter how many lights and no matter the siren, people just don't move.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:01 AM
I had strobes on my old truck that were made made by street glow. You can get them in different colors and you alsocan get there optional control that changes the speed that they flash at and in what order they flash. each controller can control two pair of lights. I had four stobes in the front head lights and four in the rear (rev lights and cargo lights for the bed). and they are a little cheaper around $40 a pair and 25 for for the controller.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DrPaul, when I asked you in a previous thread which camera were you using prior to this new camera, I went ahead and purchased that camera [powershot 85] on ebay for about $99 and love it, the battery life is absolutely horrible but other than that, it's great. I have waterspots at night but am too lazy to return it. The movie mode is great, very good quality for a digicam, and I'm pleased to say the least. However, my pics don't come out near as clean or nice looking as yours did, was their any settings in particular you used on the Powershot 85.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:26 PM
i have and 04 screw with a whelen 6 outlet 90 watt strobe pack 1 dual head whelen talon and 2 single head whelen talons i use a touchmaster siren running 200 watts i also am a vol./professional firefighter. i will try to post some videos of my truck!!

Old 02-23-2006, 03:55 PM
DrPaul, how many watts does that siren put out? And where did you mount your speaker?

Old 02-23-2006, 04:16 PM
its 100 watt, an the speaker is dead center on the front of the truck right by the trans cooler (i think its trans cooler or power steering whichever)

Old 02-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Do you find that 100 watts is loud enough? Is that what police and fire use on their vehicles or are they 200 watts?

Quick Reply: Strobes are Installed