F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   2005 V6 F-150.. Impressions? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/184353-2005-v6-f-150-impressions.html)

05arrived 02-03-2005 12:39 AM

I bought an '05 STX with the 4.2 at the beginning of Dec. and I am extremely happy with it, and no I don't consider myself a "wierdo", just someone who doesn't have any particular need for a larger engine than a good sized V6. Some of you seem to think the 4.2 is some kind of "toy" engine, I've seen it referred to as whimpy, though I doubt that those who are so negative have actually bothered to drive one of the new F-150's with the 4.2. True I have no expectations of pulling a heavy trailor, nor do I expect to load the bed with gravel, at least not very often, but in the 2 months I've had the truck I've hauled drywall, sheeting, lumber, appliances and whatever, nothing has been any challenge whatsoever. Further merging into traffic and passing on 2 lane highways is quick and painless. Basically, I can understand why many people really need a larger more powerful engine, but I think a lot of guys sell the 4.2 short. Do you really think that Ford is so inept that they don't know what to use for engines in their own trucks? If so why are you driving a Ford?

RamSS/T 02-03-2005 12:47 AM

Originally posted by 05arrived
I doubt that those who are so negative have actually bothered to drive one of the new F-150's with the 4.2.

I certainly never bothered driving one.....

04Trucker 02-03-2005 12:53 AM

I have a 4.6L V8 in my 04 and its Plenty of Power.

There is nothing wrong with a 6cyl.

Please dont turn this into a my Penis is bigger than yours thread.

If you actually need a V8 or just chose to buy one then that is cool.

If you dont own a 6cyl then dont pick on or call names to those that do.

To each his own so please remember that when you want to compare a 6 to an 8

I also own a 91 Ford 4.9L straight six and while it is certainly not fast it will for sure outlast any V8 Ford, Chevy or Dodge has ever made.

Beefullo 02-03-2005 08:31 AM

I recently purchased my 5.4 Supercab and when driving the 4.6 I was very annoyed with the lack of power. For that reason I did not even consider the six cylinder. As far as gas mileage goes the 4.6 and the 5.4 have the same gas mileage according to the window sticker and the 6six cylinder has one mpg better on both the highway and city. If your main concern is gas mileage then don't look at the new F150. The Chebbie 8 cylinder gets better mpg than the Ford 6. Then again, the Tundra gets better than both.

osbornk 02-03-2005 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Beefullo
I recently purchased my 5.4 Supercab and when driving the 4.6 I was very annoyed with the lack of power. For that reason I did not even consider the six cylinder. As far as gas mileage goes the 4.6 and the 5.4 have the same gas mileage according to the window sticker and the 6six cylinder has one mpg better on both the highway and city. If your main concern is gas mileage then don't look at the new F150. The Chebbie 8 cylinder gets better mpg than the Ford 6. Then again, the Tundra gets better than both.
The Tundras I looked at had a lower fuel mileage rating than the 5.4 Ford orf the 5.3 Chevy. A friend of mine owns a Tundra and said he's glad he owns a gas station.

jpdadeo 02-03-2005 09:47 AM

That’s why different engines options are available so people can get the one that suites their needs. I’ve never heard anything negative about the 4.2L they are a fine time tested engines with quit a bit of hp. My oldest son’s 2002 F150 has the 4.2L and it is trouble free. The reason I got the 5.4L is because that was the only engine offered in the Lariat.

Different strokes for different folks :)

jamzwayne 02-03-2005 02:40 PM

Originally posted by 05arrived
I bought an '05 STX with the 4.2 at the beginning of Dec. and I am extremely happy with it, and no I don't consider myself a "wierdo", just someone who doesn't have any particular need for a larger engine than a good sized V6. Some of you seem to think the 4.2 is some kind of "toy" engine, I've seen it referred to as whimpy, though I doubt that those who are so negative have actually bothered to drive one of the new F-150's with the 4.2. True I have no expectations of pulling a heavy trailor, nor do I expect to load the bed with gravel, at least not very often, but in the 2 months I've had the truck I've hauled drywall, sheeting, lumber, appliances and whatever, nothing has been any challenge whatsoever. Further merging into traffic and passing on 2 lane highways is quick and painless. Basically, I can understand why many people really need a larger more powerful engine, but I think a lot of guys sell the 4.2 short. If so why are you driving a Ford?

OUTSTANDING ! ! !

Well said.

I have an 04 STX heritage with a 4.2 V6.

Hell yeah, I'd Love to have a 5.4 V8....but I dont wanna have to pay for the gas. I drive over 85 miles a day round trip to and from work (all highway). I hate filling this bish as it is, I wouldn't be able to afford a Lightning, King Ranch, or any other Truck with a V8. I wanted a Ford, and I got the truck that fits my needs. I understand the concerns for the engine having the power to pull a large load. But like 05arrived said, "Do you really think that Ford is so inept that they don't know what to use for engines in their own trucks?"

anaheim 02-03-2005 02:49 PM

Personally i stand behind my statement, as my previous truck had the 4.2. (2001 F-150 SC)
Did i have any mechanical problems with it...no
Did i have any power issues with it...no
Did i tow heavy loads in it...no (and knew that when i bought it).
It was an enjoyable truck.
My only concern would be the extra weight on the new models, and i base that on wishing i had purchased the 5.4 instead of the 4.6 i have now.:smoke: