2004 - 2008 F-150

Replacing mirror

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005 | 04:58 PM
Man...I wish we had one of those. I prefer washing it by hand too because it usually comes out cleaner, but sometimes i'd rather just run it through a quick wash when I don't want to spend half the day cleaning it. Especially in the winter!

Old 02-22-2005 | 11:10 PM
For ReXaFord

Door panel removal.
I will have to post a few times because I can only add two pics to each thread.
First off let me apologize, my daughter decided to clean up the garage last week. When I went out there to get the paper that I had all the nut sizes written down on, well guess what..............its gone. I will however post the pics and some notes about them that should get you on your way.
Also my truck is a STX, so I have manual windows and door locks.
The first pic is my door panel.

This pic is for the window crank. Just pop the cover off and swing it out of the way. Through the hole in the center is a allen bolt or star bit, can remember, but an allen wrench worked for me. Take this out and the crank pulls right off, no clips or anything.

See next posting.....................

Old 02-22-2005 | 11:16 PM
Continued

This next pic is of the speaker grill cover. There is a small acess notch in the upper front. Use a small screw driver and pop it loose and work your way around it. It pulls right off. You may put some tape around the screwdriver if your worried about it scratching anything.

This next pic is the speaker removal. It has four small bolts holding it in. This is one of the sizes I had written down and lost. Remove them and the speaker pulls out. Again if you need use you small screwdriver to get it started out, shouldnt need it though.

see continued post...................

Old 02-22-2005 | 11:23 PM
continued post

This pic is of the clip on the back of the speaker. Just simply unclip it and set the speaker aside.

This next picture is for when you are actually removing the door panel itself, but is part of the speaker area. See that little round nut holder (cream colored) when you lift and pull out on the panel when everthing is loose, the panel will probly catch on it. Just pry the panel out a little to clear it and continue on up and out. Or easier yet, just pull it out and set it aside.

see continued post..............

Last edited by saleen97; 08-20-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-22-2005 | 11:31 PM
continued door panel removal

This pic is of the nuts on the very bottom of the door panel. Again, I've lost the size of these. Cant remember but I think there are two, however many.....remove them.

Ok this pic is of the small screw (phillips head) right in the middle of the door panel, it is right under the arm rest. This is where power door panels may be a little different, not sure, but at least look for it and remove it.

and yet we continue................

Old 02-22-2005 | 11:38 PM
Door panel removal

Next pic is of the inner door latch removal. There is a small access panel behind the door pull. Use that small trusty screw driver and pop that sucker out via the small slot on top.

Ok, now after you have removed the small panel, you should see a couple of nuts. Again......lost the sizes. Anyway, they need to come out.

continued.............

Old 02-22-2005 | 11:52 PM
Door panel removal

This is the door latch assembly. With the bolts out, just wiggle it around until you get it out. Now I did not undo the latch assembly. I just let it dangle there. Not exactly sure how to undo it, but didnt really try since I didnt need too.

Ok you should now be ready to pop off the door panel, grab onto something good and lift straight up. Remember to pry the panel out a little to clear the speaker clip if you left them in. It may take a couple of good tugs here and there, but it will pop loose. Once it has, pull UP and OUT. You can now see the back of the door panel and see the built in door panel "bracket thingies" that slid up and out of the holes.

Your door panel is now removed, but may be hanging by the door latch assembly. Leave it there if you can, one less thing to reassemble, if not you'll have to undo it.

To reassemble, just put stuff back on like you took it off. Door panel will go in and you push down this time.
If you can find all the screws and nuts you took off, then great, if not.......their probly on you driveway or under you seats. lol

Will continue a little couple more post for mirror removal.

Last edited by saleen97; 08-20-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2005 | 11:57 PM
Re: continued post

Originally posted by saleen97
See that little round nut holder (cream colored) when you lift and pull out on the panel when everthing is loose, the panel will probly catch on it. Just pry the panel out a little to clear it and continue on up and out.

see continued post..............

TIP: remove those little cream colored nuts (what your speaker bolts screw into) before you remove the door panel. Just use needle-nose pliers and they pull right out. Also, don't put them back in until after you get your door panel back on. Makes things much easier and your door panel doesn't keep getting caught on them while you're trying to line up the other plastic clips/holes.

Old 02-23-2005 | 12:00 AM
Mirror removal

Keep in mind, my truck has manual mirrors, so I can gaurantee anything about the power ones.

With door panel off undo the three exposed nuts.

Ok in this pic see the hole Iam pointing to with my sexy looking finger. There is another nut you will have to remove. You can try to peel the plastic barrier off in one piece or do like I did and cut a small hole there.

Almost there.....................

Old 02-23-2005 | 12:10 AM
Mirror removal

This pic is showing you the why the mirror wont come of after you have removed all four nuts and have been pulling like hell with your feet pried against the door for leverage and it still wont come off!!! LOL. See that square hole.......if you look through it you will notice there is a sort of retaining clip on the top stud that had the nut on it that you have already removed. This clip is of course on the inside. So you will have to pry that clip a little while pulling out on the mirror to get it off. Once you see this clip it is pretty self explanitory.

If you have manual mirrors your done. Power your on your own, should be pretty easy though. Anyway it should look something like this.

One more..............

Old 02-23-2005 | 12:15 AM
Mirror removal

This pic is of the foam padding or air barrier from the stock mirror. Just pull it off and put it on you new mirrors if that is what your doing.

Next put that foam padding onto your replacement mirrors

Then reassemble mirrors, mine only had the three studs and nuts to attach, the center recessed one I did not use.

One more..........

Old 02-23-2005 | 12:20 AM
Mirror removal

This is the finished result of my painted Street Scene mirrors.

I truely hope this helps you guys. Anyone should be able to do this.............The first side it took a little while since I hadnt done it before. The second side it took me about 20 minutes and had it completely done and reassembled.

Have fun...........

Old 02-23-2005 | 12:26 AM
Extra tip

SteveVFX4 ,

Thanks for the extra tip there, he's right. That makes it much easier to just remove the darn little things.
Again hope at least this gets you guys on the right track.
And if anyone sees a little better way of doing a part or any suggestions, please add to it.

For my next postings I guess I'll go out in the driveway and completely disassemble my dash with all the wiring take pics for you'll and then put if back in for the heck of it. LOL

Old 02-23-2005 | 01:07 PM
Exclamation At the same time.....

While you have the door panel off and if your having the "sticky smudge on the window" syndrome you can get into the door and tye back the door regulator cable cover so it won't ride on the window. Its the tape the factory used that smudges the window glass. It gets stickey in the summer heat. I've got new extension mirrors to install and as soon as the weather clears I'll have mine off on both sides. I did the window smudge fix a few months ago.

saleen97 you did a GREAT job explaining this for all of us. Thanks a bunch.

Old 02-23-2005 | 05:20 PM
Oh thank you so much for posting this info. I just order a set of Shefenacker telescopic mirrors and was considering letting someone else do the work. I see I can do this all on my own. Thanks for the great walk through.

Quick Reply: Replacing mirror