Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005 | 12:02 PM
|
Cool Anybody raced a Dakota? I did

Quad Cab vs. Super Crew
Little truck vs. Big Truck
Modified vs. Stock
Him vs. Me

After having a decent outing against a RC longbed Sierra(5.3). (He won once I won once. I won cause he was spinning a lot but he never really ran me down but he was gaining.) I decided that I would challenge my cousin to a friendly race with his Dakota. It is a Quad Cab SLT Dakota with the 4.7. He has a K&N Intake and Flowmaster Dual Exhaust. Probably wouldn't make any difference except maybe add a little weight but he has fiberglass bed cover. My truck 100% stock 04 Screw XLT 5.4. I am pretty sure that I have 3.55's.

Well now to the race.

We pulled out on the highway. I looked over and gave him a little wave that I was ready to do business. At the same time I am bringing the rpms up just a little. Right after the wave I hear him bring his rpms up and I launch. Afterwards I found out that I got just a hair of a jump, not a whole lot. I take off and I hear him spinning. He finally gets moving about the time that my rear bumper get to his front bumper. I look in my rear view mirror and I see that I am pulling away. I am not able to finish second gear out completely but I was able to easily pull into his lane in front of him. When we got to where we were going I asked him for his recount of the action and it was the same, that I got a slight jump but I kept pulling away. Granted it was a close race but a definate kill. Now I am gonna have to run him at the dragstrip so that whoever gets the jump it really doesn't matter. It will be all about the time. He told his wife that he needs a supercharger now cause my big truck embarassed him. hahaha

Old 02-28-2005 | 12:13 PM
That's hella-cool.

Old 02-28-2005 | 04:02 PM
nice.

I heard that the Dakotas were pretty quick, but apparently not.

Old 02-28-2005 | 05:45 PM
Nice Kill!

Old 02-28-2005 | 06:28 PM
Banned
These are half ton truck!? I laugh everytime I hear a truck racing story! lol I'l like to see a FedEX truck and a UPS truck go at it! I don't get the hole truck racing thing?

Old 02-28-2005 | 07:06 PM
Originally posted by TritonXLT
...I don't get the hole truck racing thing?
Ya know, I don't really either. If I'm buying and driving a stock truck, no matter what it is, I expect it to have adequate passing ability, and be able to reach highway speeds well enough to not choke up the on ramp. Anything extra is welcome, but not necessary.

To worry about whether or not my truck is faster then a chevy, dodge, or whatever else does seem a little bit odd. I drive a stock 02 GMC Sierra for a company truck, with a 5.3 liter, and it will flat kill my stock FX4. I'd really like to see some of you on the highway to find out how much of these "Kill" threads are ligit. But I wouldn't buy a chevy. The Fords are just so much better OVERALL. I love my Ford. I don't need to worry how fast it is. It's fast enough.

Now, if this were a Mustang board, where the vehicle is built for the purpose of going very fast, then maybe these "Kill" threads would be more interesting.

Frankly, If you're buying a Supercab or Supercrew to go racing, then pony up next to my Mach, and lets go for titles. You'll quickly learn that your truck will haul alot of things, but it's not built to haul a$$.

It's a truck.

Old 03-01-2005 | 08:04 AM
|
I don't get the hole truck racing thing?
I wasn't racing him in a hole. I was racing him on the road.

I didn't buy the truck to race people. I just have a natural tendency to race anything that I get my hands on. It started at an early age. I am a very competitive person.

69Mach, if you want we can run but I get to run you with my real race vehicle. I have an 89 Mustang that I run at the dragstrip so, if you wanna run stang vs. stang then I am all up for it.

I can't help it that I like challenge vehicles that are similar in performance (i.e. other trucks and the occasional rice boy that think they have something). I have seen too many of these cars run at the track and I can't help but laught caush I know that my truck that weighs almost 2.5-3 times as much as these cars will run faster than them.

I am sorry if you do not like to know what other trucks your truck will outrun. Your loss cause even running slow turds can be fun at times. I guess I just enjoy racing way too much then.

Old 03-01-2005 | 09:17 AM
These are half ton truck!? I laugh everytime I hear a truck racing story! lol I'l like to see a FedEX truck and a UPS truck go at it! I don't get the hole truck racing thing?

Powerstroke vs the 5 cyl Mercedes plant!

I'd love to watch THAT kill.

Old 03-01-2005 | 10:09 AM
lol I'l like to see a FedEX truck and a UPS truck go at it!

UPS WINS!

Old 03-01-2005 | 11:25 AM
hey!! was that dale racing the truck??

Old 03-01-2005 | 12:53 PM
you beat a 318 Dakota........you da man.....

I had a 02 Dakota R/T, thats what I traded in to get my XLT.....you will not beat a R/T or any of the 5.9 (360) Dakotas
matter of fact, I call B/S on this kill.........................

Old 03-01-2005 | 01:05 PM
Race that thing off the line. I had one pull away hard from me at a stop light. Not sure what engine he had (def. was not an RT), but his was only a single cab, so there was probably a huge difference in weight. We had about 100 yards until our lanes merged and he got in front of me, but I was catching up. I think I would have passed him on a long straight away (at least that is what I keep telling myself )

Old 03-01-2005 | 01:06 PM
Thats the reason why there isnt more kill and racing threads on here....you pull up next to some old dude that forgets how to have a little fun....its all about pride and wanting to show the truck next to you that you are superior......

people need to relax, its not like we approach triple digit speeds when we do these "races"....its just a friendly "whos got the bigger truck *****" duel......

Old 03-01-2005 | 01:10 PM
truck *****???

Why doesn't anybody have at a tug of war on a gravel road? I'd really like to hear about those stories!

Old 03-01-2005 | 01:17 PM
|
Originally posted by Dracos
you beat a 318 Dakota........you da man.....

I had a 02 Dakota R/T, thats what I traded in to get my XLT.....you will not beat a R/T or any of the 5.9 (360) Dakotas
matter of fact, I call B/S on this kill.........................
I stated in my original post that it was a 4.7

Race that thing off the line
I did race him from a dead stop. we both took off from a stop. I said that I got a slight jump but I contiued to pull away from him. He never gained on me at all.

Quick Reply: Anybody raced a Dakota? I did