2004 - 2008 F-150

PCM reflash

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005 | 08:04 PM
|
PCM reflash

I had Ford reflash my PCM for throttle response (again) and this time it seems to have helped both that and the cur-clunk I've had since day one.

They did not put a sticker on it any more, and told me that they no longer do that, and that they know what version of the software is loaded by plugging into the computer with their diagnostic gear. I went back and forth with him but both the service write up guy, and the service manager both told me this. They said they used to do this, but no longer.

Anyone else experience this? How can I get my PCM version so I can get a programmer from Troyer Performance?

Thanks,
mikebaby

Old 03-09-2005 | 08:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The PCM reflash changes the base part number of the PCM. The sticker denotes the changed number and the fact that it was an authorized modification by Ford. Also the federal government requires that sticker any time a change is made to a part which affects the emissions performance. It took 3 trips to the stealership and 2 discussions with the service manger for me to get mine.

Old 03-09-2005 | 08:45 PM
Originally posted by kd4crs
Also the federal government requires that sticker any time a change is made to a part which affects the emissions performance.
Where did you get this information from? I have never heard of the Federal Gov't interviening on anything that has to do with maintenance issues.

A link would be great.

Old 03-09-2005 | 08:59 PM

One of our state Air Quality guys told me. Any change to an emissions related part (PCM) has to done by the manufacturer or their authorized agent (dealer). I can't quote the statutes but the EPA takes exception to people making unauthorized alterations to automobile emissions systems. They probably don't go poking around under people's hoods to see if a sticker is there. I mainly wanted the sticker so that anyone else who works on my truck knows it has been updated.

Last edited by kd4crs; 03-09-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2005 | 09:55 PM

PCM reprogramming isn't considered maintenance. Whenever an emissions related component on the vehicle is altered, an authorized modification decal must be affixed to somewhere in the vehicle.

For instance, a couple years back, Ford discovered that they put bum thermostats in a few Lincoln LS's. The thermostats would stick open, letting the engine run cooler than it should. The PCM sees this, thinks the engine is on a cold start and adds more fuel than what's necessary, creating a rich condition that may show up as excessive hydrocarbon content during a tailpipe test. So, dealers replaced the thermostat and added a modification decal. For a thermostat. Go figure.

Old 03-10-2005 | 12:10 AM
Did your dealership reflash your computer just because you asked them to or becuase you were havign a problem? The 2 closest dealerships said they would not reflash without the truck throwing a code.

Old 03-10-2005 | 01:27 AM
Angry Thats bogus! The dealers that is..

Isn't a dealer supposed to respond to the customer? Where do they get off saying the need a code before a reflash? I needed to have my PCM reflashed to get my Xcalibrator Tune from Troyer. I asked the dealer to do it as a result of a TSB regarding poor throttle response. The dumb service guy then asked me "Duh, are you having that problem?" for which I responded, "Why would I ask for it if I didn't have the problem?". He scratched his head and said "OK, we will take care of it." I also then handed him a copy of the TSB.

So if you need things done then do whatever you have to to get there. And as for the sticker, the PCM is part of the emission system and I almost had to remind them after my reflash but found the sticker on the underside of the hood. I did this before leaving the dealer.

The reason for the requested reflash was I had a previous tune form Troyer before the Xcalibrator came out. I needed to get back to the factory tune.

Old 03-10-2005 | 01:42 PM
I just got my second reflash yesterday. Dealer always does it if I ask. havent noticed any difference with this one over the one from last month. Here is a picture of the sticker that they are suppose to put on. Mines on the radiator cowl right in front of you when you open the hood.
This is the latest flash out as of 3/9/05, ALSO notice that the sticker says these changes are approved by the EPA and CARB. That is why you want the sticker.

Last edited by toddh; 03-10-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2005 | 03:31 PM

Question

Quintin, Is there some way to translate the code on the modification sticker to the 4 digit codes on the PCM from the factory? I would like to know what factory code mine is now that it has been updated. Thanks.

Last edited by kd4crs; 03-10-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2005 | 04:19 PM
|
Originally posted by texaspyro21
Did your dealership reflash your computer just because you asked them to or becuase you were havign a problem? The 2 closest dealerships said they would not reflash without the truck throwing a code.
I told them that I wanted it reflashed because the throttle response sucked. They test drove it and agreed, and reflashed it to the latest version.

mikebaby

Old 03-10-2005 | 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Quintin
PCM reprogramming isn't considered maintenance. Whenever an emissions related component on the vehicle is altered, an authorized modification decal must be affixed to somewhere in the vehicle.
It is considered MX. If you have a suspected problem with your programming, then you bring it in to get MX, right?

I still haven't seen any literature on where it's mandatory that a "sticker" has to be affixed.

Crazy, but I guess it's just opinions for now.

Old 03-10-2005 | 07:34 PM
Originally posted by mikebaby
I told them that I wanted it reflashed because the throttle response sucked. They test drove it and agreed, and reflashed it to the latest version.

mikebaby
Tried that twice and they said it wasn't a issue and they wouldnt even drive it to see. The guy even had the nerve to ask me why I bought my truck from a dealership 3 hours away instead of them. Told him to think about what he told me 2 mins ago and that was the reason.

Old 03-10-2005 | 08:00 PM

Maintenance implies that it's done regularly, like an oil change. PCM reprogramming is only done as needed to correct certain concerns. Altering an emissions related component, i.e. the PCM, is done only by authorized dealers under the directive of Ford Motor Company. In some states, that's a big deal, given emissions tests and meeting CARB requirements. I guess Ford saw it easier to say put a sticker on everything instead of just for certain states.

Old 03-10-2005 | 09:28 PM
re-flash

my whole ordeal is posted one page back under the title flashed. and just so you know i asked the dealer about whether a sticker had to be affixed when it was re-flashed or not and he said yes it is mandated by the government to all auto dealers due to the fact it changes emissions. hope this helps.

scott

Quick Reply: PCM reflash