2004 - 2008 F-150

Factory Order vs. What's On The Lot

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked out all the dealers stock for miles around on the net,after finding what I wanted my salesman went and got it for me.It was nice to pick out a truck the way I wanted it and not have too take what was on the lot.When I was looking a chev dealer was flying people to other states to get trucks when people ordered.What would nice is go to the plant and watch them put your truck togather when you order.

Old 03-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I'm paying north of 30 grand for something, I want it to be EXACTLY what I want - not something I just settled for. With all of the combinations of options and colors out there, the chances of a dealer having EXACTLY what I want are about zero. I've ordered every truck I've ever owned. I guess it depends on how picky you are.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Cool

I ordered mine to get the options I wanted as none of the dealers had one that matched. I also have no problem with the wait as I can not take delivery until sept. when my BMW 540 lease ends.

Old 03-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Mine was actually a dealer trade off another dealer's lot. It had two options I was not planning on getting, the flow through console and the bed extender and was missing two I wanted, the mirror package and Audiophile.

Net result is the console is a no care (other than the initial cost). I have actually needed to use the extender, the stereo for me will be fine with a speaker change and the only thing I miss are the mirrors.

It did allow me to get some major savings due to the rebates and other "deals" Ford had at the time that may have not been available if I had ordered a truck.

Out of the last four new vehicles I have purchased, two were ordered and two were off the lot through dealer trades. I have not seen anything to say the condition of the ordered vehicles were any better or worse than the inventory vehicles.

Old 03-14-2005, 01:49 PM
I ordered mine, I wanted the Aspen green, XL, Reg cab 4x4 and there were none around.

Old 03-14-2005, 01:55 PM
I ordered mine, no problems. Strange thing is when i ordered my
1993 Ranger from the same salesperson, it took 28 days from order to pick-up, and my 04 also took 28 days.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:47 PM
I ordered mine 3 days before the trucks went on sale to the public in Sept '03. I ordered the truck because the closest truck to how I wanted it was in Denver, Colorado and I live in San Jose, California. Several dealers told me that the first trucks Ford was building were the higher end FX4, Lariats, or XLT's with tons of options. All I wanted was an XLT with fog lights being the only option. Guess Ford wanted to make a big profit on the first ones sold. Yes, waiting 6 weeks for the truck to be built was difficult but well worth it. I ordered it so soon because I wanted to stand out and drive a truck so few people have. It's funny, I still rarely see XLT Supercab's in True Blue like mine around.

And I would order again.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:03 AM
I've ordered everything I've bought, and taken off the lot everything I've leased.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Off the lot. I found it on the internet, called the salesman that I wanted to do business with and asked if they took personal checks. I went down after dinner, took it for a test drive, signed the papers and left. It was pretty quick and painless. I wasn't too picky though, all I wanted was a super crew (150,250,350 didn't care) 4x4 and XLT or better. Came home with an 01 Screw, XLT 4X4.

ETA: I hope some of you aren't as picky with your women as you are with your trucks.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:51 PM
I was lucky enough to find a truck on the lot with 99% of what I wanted. Only thing that I didn't get was the reverse sensing system. Other than that, it was perfect, and only had 8 miles on it. Turns out it had only been on the lot a few days when I found it.

Quick Reply: Factory Order vs. What's On The Lot