2004 - 2008 F-150

gravel spray

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005 | 07:36 PM
|
Unhappy gravel spray

Hey gang,
I am new to posting messages on this site, but I have picked up a few tips from the crew. I had a big pit in my stomach yesterday as I was washing my truck and noticed that the paint was chipped all the way down to the metal along the front bottom corner of my '04 F-150 Supercrew. I have to believe that this happened from scouting on gravel roads this fall for waterfowl. I put on a set of mudflaps early this winter, but I didn't notice the chips at that point. I have driven a few trips on gravel since I got the flaps. Long and the short of it is.....does anybody have any ideas on how to #1 fix the paint issue (can I do it myself?) and #2 does anybody have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening again? I should also mention I have a set of Luverne stainless step bars on the truck.

Thanks for any ideas!!

Old 03-14-2005 | 08:42 PM
Well first off welcome to the forums, and congrats on your truck.

As for the problem at hand do you have any pics, as depending on exactly where the chips are there mights be different solutions.
Thanks Trev

Old 03-14-2005 | 08:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Those chips suck. I have noticed that the paint on my truck seems very fragile and chips easier than other vehicles I have had. The best protection you can get is to put a set of full-length platform style running boards on your truck. I am going to be putting a set on my truck as soon as I can. Welcome to the site and have a beer!

Old 03-14-2005 | 08:58 PM
MJC
Have same problem, must be the gravel roads in the midwest. I had less then 5000 miles when I really noticed who bad my rock chips where. I don't do a lot of gravel but do some. I have the Westin step bars, wish I would of went with the ford ones from the dealer. I think they would of help in my situation. The Ford ones mount with two supports more in the middle then the ends like my Westins do. I'm going to someplastic film called rock gaurd first. I have had mud gaurds and the bars on the truck since was new. Check my Photos out to see if your problem is the same as mine.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=5031

Old 03-14-2005 | 10:25 PM
The first time that I washed my FX4 Scab Flareside, white with grey bottom paint, The grey paint chipped right off from the pressure of the water. It only chipped off below where the bottom of the door comes to the body. I took the truck to my dealer and they arranged for it to get repainted at my local body shop and have it covered under warranty. The paint guy said the paint chipped off because the guy who preped the body for the grey paint was to lazy and didn't bnd down far enough to rough up the pocer panel. So long story short tell your dealer that a pressure washer chipped off the paint and get it repainted through warranty.

Old 03-14-2005 | 10:29 PM
I should have looked at your pictures first, Sorry. Those look to much like rock chips to be passed off as pealing panit from a pressure washer. When mine pealed off there were pieces of panit the size of a razor blade that came off. Hope this helps.

Old 03-15-2005 | 12:51 AM
I don't know if some of you got defective paint or what but I think that Ford paint is the best out of all the cars I have owned. My Tacoma Double Cab chipped everywhere even in thedoor jams from road debris. My wife's Lexus was almost as bad. As far as fixing the prob with yours I don't know but when or if you repaint maybe clear bra the problem area.

Old 03-15-2005 | 08:16 AM
Welcome to the site....

Good luck with the paint fix .....

Old 03-15-2005 | 08:43 AM
If you have a lower front bumper area that's painted, you might look there also. Mine is beat from the road cinders.

I have been using a dremel to gring the rust and touch up paint to cover the damaged areas. Looks like I was hit by a
shotgun. I would suggest the plastic protective film from
Xpel, but it's not cheap.

PA winters =

Old 03-15-2005 | 10:52 AM
|
Thanks for the warm welcome! MJC posted a few photos that could very well have been photos of my truck (same color, same model, even the same black leather interior....nice truck!). The most noticeable damage is the bottom corner of the box above the step bar. Thanks for the recommendation on the clear plastic....I thought about that, but didn't know if it would work or look good. I might have it repainted and give the clear plastic a try. I like the bars on the truck and really don't want to switch to the running boards.

Does anybody have any photos of the clear plastic on their truck? Does it bend easily to wrap around that sharp corner at the bottom of the box? Thanks again and feel free to offer any other solutions! The last thing I want is a rust spot!!!

Old 03-15-2005 | 11:44 AM
duckfever, I am not sure what color your truck is but when I get mine cleaned I'll get you a pic. It is usually only visible when you get close. It is very flexible I have my hood (About 12" back), headlights, driving lights, bumper, front part of fender and grill surround done.

Quick Reply: gravel spray