2004 - 2008 F-150

Limited slip or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited slip or not?

I'm getting a 4x4 f150 this Summer. And I was just wondering if it is worth it to get LS on my truck or not? I have read alot of threads on here where people are having problems with the LS shudder. I won't be doing any serious off-roading. The worst conditions for me will be snow covered roads. So, I'm just wondering if I can get away with going with an open rear diff? Thanks for your feedback!

Old 04-08-2005, 12:00 PM
I think it's up to you honestly. You can get away with 4x4 in the snow and NO LS. Don't take this the wrong way but if you are worried about an extra $300 bucks, this truck probably isn't a good idea.

Gas prices are getting worse and this truck is not very good at Fuel Economy. Plus, the stock look sucks (IMHO) and MODS are necessary. You'll be forking out way more than $300 on mods.

But, if you have good tires (not the stock ones) and 4x4, you don't need LS.

my .02

Old 04-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Sure, you can get by without one. Have you been driving pickups without them before?
If not, you need to keep in mind that pickups tend to be a little light on the rear end, unless you are loaded. This will make it likely that you can get the back end spinning a little easier than on a car. You will need to adjust your driving style in the snow more than likely. Adding additional weight, such as sand bags in the bed, can help also. People have been driving in the snow for generations without a limited slip or locker.

Personally, I'd never buy a vehicle again that does not have one. It is realtivley cheap when spread out over a couple of years of payment, and can be a really helpful addition to a truck.

I wouldn't worry too much about the shudder. It is normal for a locking rear differential to have a bit of shudder, or squeal tires on sharp turns. Limited slips will do it also if they are really tight. That is what you want, a really loose limited slip is going to work, but not as well. The shudder is just the limited slip, well, slipping a bit on dry pavement. My F150 does it, and I don't mind. Knowing it is there, in good shape, and tight enough to do what it is supposed to do when I need it is OK with me.
Ford has been fixing the shuddering rear ends by "dumbing down" the limited slip rear ends. This is fine, as it will still work, but probably not as well. If you are not going to use the truck off road, the looser limited slip would probably not be an issue.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I have read numerous posts, subject, "wish truck had LS/ how much to convert Open to LS".

The aftermarket price was around $800+ while the factory option is around $300.

Haven't seen any posts subject, "wish truck didn't have LS/Factory LS option Overpriced".

I believe,
LS = Best bargain on Factory option price sheet.

What I don't understand is why Ford doesn't gouge on this when they could get away with it.

If you buy off the lot, take what you get but, if you are going to order anyway it's a no-brainer.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the help. I can afford it, and gas is not an issue. I was just wondering if I could get by without it to avoid the "shudder". I have never owned a truck with LS, that's why it's so awkward to me I guess. Since it's normal for the LS to shudder a little, I guess it won't be a big bother to me now that I know. Thanks alot guys.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:22 PM
No problem Again. hope you didn't take it personally. I wasn't attacking your "money status".. Just with all the threads on people trading in their rides cause of "gas prices" has me a little off.

Enjoy the new ride.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Naw man it's cool. I knew where you were coming from.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by sacramentojoe
.... I wasn't attacking your "money status"..
Peacemaker, since you are ordering you should still ask for the optional tiny fuel tank so you can roll into the gas station and say,
"Fill'er up!" like a man.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Shudder is not that big of deal. Mine had a slight shudder, and they changed the clutch packs under warranty and it's been great since.

My dad's XLT did not come with LS. He got tired of slipping around everywhere (including just going up his inclined gravel driveway at his work garage in dry weather), so he had LS installed at the dealer, cost him around $450 total (parts + installation).

Get the LS!

Old 04-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Raoul, bite me you old joker! lol. I'm getting LS on my truck. I know the feeling of slipping up hills. It happens almost every time on my truck (non - LS). And I'm tired of it. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Peacemaker
Raoul, bite me you old joker! lol.
You forgot short.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Peacemarker, I have had alot of trucks. My last truck was a 2002 4x4 Ranger w/ LS. My current truck is 2004 4x4 F150 w/o. Get the LS. My Ranger was alot better in the snow and mud. I know alot of the difference has to do with the rear end.

By the way my F150 was bought off the lot, hince no LS. I would never order a truck without it.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:06 PM
SteveVFX4, when your dad had LS added to his truck for $450 at the dealer. Did they cut him a deal or is that the normal price? If thats normal you can sign me up. Thats a hell of a deal.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by indyeng
SteveVFX4, when your dad had LS added to his truck for $450 at the dealer. Did they cut him a deal or is that the normal price? If thats normal you can sign me up. Thats a hell of a deal.
Might have been a slight break, but I don't think so. He decided to do it while they had the rear end torn apart anyways to replace the ring and pinion gears (because he had the axle whine at 50+ mph). Call a few local dealers and see what they'll charge you? btw, He has the 3:55 rear end.

Old 04-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Lowest price just to put in gears on an open rear was 700.00 bucks around here. 1300 from dealer to put in a LS and change ratio, which came with the LS, so it wasn't extra.
450 would be the best deal I've seen in years.
Chris

Quick Reply: Limited slip or not?