2004 - 2008 F-150

Voiding the Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voiding the Warranty?

Hey guys Im curiouse about what mods would Void the warranty and what dosent ?? ex. Cat back Echaust , Intake , Suspension Etc? ANy input would be great thanks!

Old 04-21-2005, 04:35 PM
When I bought my truck, one thing the saleman pointed out is dont touch the suspension. That will void it. But if you put bigger tires are rims or wheels wont.
Cat-back systems will NOT
Intakes will NOT
Messing with the computer WILL, BUT what they dont see wont hurt ya. Be cautious on the computer. Some programers store the trucks factory settings.
Good luck on whatever ya do to it.

Old 04-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by thetruck
When I bought my truck, one thing the saleman pointed out is dont touch the suspension. That will void it. But if you put bigger tires are rims or wheels wont.
Cat-back systems will NOT
Intakes will NOT
Messing with the computer WILL, BUT what they dont see wont hurt ya. Be cautious on the computer. Some programers store the trucks factory settings.
Good luck on whatever ya do to it.
Wrong, it all depends on the dealership.

Old 04-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Re: Voiding the Warranty?

Originally posted by 04Superscrew
Hey guys Im curiouse about what mods would Void the warranty and what dosent ?? ex. Cat back Echaust , Intake , Suspension Etc? ANy input would be great thanks!
There is a law(Magnum-Moss act) that prohibits dealerships or manufacturers from arbitrarily voiding your warranty just because you have aftermarket parts. They have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the damage in question before they can deny your warranty. I tried to get a link from sema's web site, but their site is down right now...Kevin

Old 04-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right, they can legally void the warranty on what the modification affected. For instance, if you install a lift kit, the warranty on the suspension parts the lift replaced or modified is void. However, they can't refuse to fix your A/C because the suspension lift had no affect on it.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:11 PM
You are talking about this all wrong - think about it like this

Will aftermarket parts "VOID" your "warranty" ? NO
Adding a filter will not void the ENTIRE warranty.

Can aftermarket parts "VOID your "warranty" ? YES
A supercharger installed in your engine bay will definetly prevent you from getting any warrenty work on your engine. Notice how i didn't say it will void the engine's warranty, because it won't. But like I said, you will not get any warranty work done in this condition.

Will aftermarket parts void the warranty of the parts they replace? YES (obviously)
If you replace the suspension with Rancho/Procomp parts for example, then the Rancho/Procomp parts are covered by whatever warranty was supplied with them. You can't expect Ford to service that, and they will most definetly tell you to take a hike if you want free work on that.

Also, lets say your little suspension setup causes the tie rod ends to be at an extreme angle. Supose they wear out and need replacing, you will have to foot the bill because no Ford dealer is going to risk it. Well i take that back because there is ALWAYS that magic dealer somewhere you WILL do the work and hope to not get caught. Guess what people, they get paid by Ford to do the warranty work so they are happy to do it. BUT they have to not get caught, and alot of places they get inspections ALL the time.

ANYWAY - i have experience with this subject. I had a 6" suspension and 36" tires. I wore my front end COMPLETLY out. I needed $2300 in repairs done to the front including all new CV joints x 2, new tie rod + ends, totaly new steering gears and rack and pinion. Guess what, it was my lift that did it. Skyjacker made a junk product and you should stay as far away as you can. And guess what, my dealer even tried to do the repairs under warranty but eventually they just couldn't risk it, because it was just TOO extreme. They appologized and gave me the bill. Oh and side note - they said i should replace the transmission because it was trashed from running the big tires and wheels without new gears in the axels.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The official stance is that for your warranty to be throwed out the window, there has to be no doubt that the modifications caused the failure in question. For instance, an over-oiled K&N filter contaminating the heated wire on a mass air sensor.

The un-official stance is, like asinatra mentioned, it depends on your dealer. If you're a "loyal" customer, let's say you've bought a vehicle or three from that dealer, get your services done there, etc, they're probably gonna be a lot more lenient in regards to things that officially shouldn't be warrantied but will be. On the flip side, if you bought your truck at Joe Schmoe Ford in the next town over and bring it to your local Ford dealer, you might get stonewalled into certain repairs that "won't" be covered under warranty. Ford dealers, regardless of who, what, where, and why, are obligated to repair Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles under warranty. How they go about it is all on them though.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:51 PM
Location: Nursing the heartache of departing with an 03 Cobra
It is really up to the dealer. I had no problem getting warranty work on my cobra and it was in blatant violation of warranty. It helps to get friendly with your service advisor for sure though.

Quick Reply: Voiding the Warranty?