2004 - 2008 F-150

Less time in Truck then washing it

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005 | 11:50 PM
|
Less time in Truck then washing it

Those who have read my posts have seen that I put very few miles on my truck. Well tonight when pulling in the driveway it turned 1100.1 miles. This wenesday it will be 6 weeks since we purchased it with a little over 257 miles on it. Who else gets to spend so much money on a truck and drive it so little? I've waxed it 4 times. Wash it at least twice a week. Vacuum it out when it probably doesn't need it because nothing is showing on mats or carpet. My wife just shakes her head at me. Is there something about these new F150's that make us spend so much time caring for them? I've had other new vehicles but never spent this much time in keeping them clean. Maybe its because its the first new vehicle purchased since I remarried 5 yrs ago or maybe its because I'm in my 40's? Or maybe its because RockPicks incessant posting about his clean truck all the time? Personally I think its the new body style. Something about it makes me want to look at it all the time. I need a new hobby. I'm thinking about taking up drinking or something.

Old 04-25-2005 | 11:59 PM
I hear drugs are nice...

Actually, I know what you mean. I've waxed it three times, it has 4800 miles on it... Clayed it yesterday. Makes no sense, really, but fun to play with this truck.
Chris

Old 04-26-2005 | 12:01 AM
If washing your truck repeatedly is the worst trait you pick up from Rockpick, then you're in great shape!

They're beautiful machines, worthy of our praise and attention.

Maybe if you drive more, you'll clean less?

Old 04-26-2005 | 12:18 AM
I wish I had time to wash mine a lot..

I love it to death, but by the time I get home from work at night, it's usually dark. That's the way it goes I guess, and since I gave all my money to the dealer for my down payment, then I cant really afford to have someone come and detail it, but hey..it kinda looks good all muddy after some post-rain off roading.

EDIT: And yes I know, it is 2WD...but it will hang with the 4WD guys, just dont let off the gas and keep moving the wheel and it's all good.

Old 04-26-2005 | 12:45 AM
My problem is not so much with washing (having a big garage and other vehicles has its benefits.) Mine is with all the mods I've spent so much time on. I've taken a bit of a vacation from modding for the last month and finally got to the 3k service (after 7 months...) I think I'm getting back up over a 1:2 driving to modding ratio.

Old 04-26-2005 | 01:17 AM
Um, the big garage and othe vehicles, that's the problem. I've waxed it three times in 6 months, but it's never spent a night outdoors. Or many days. It's garaged unless it's on the road. It's never been dirty...

I have a 4x4 that we use to go anywhere when it's nasty out, or if it's anywhere in the dirt. Heaven forbid we get the F-150 dirty.

Don't really know why we treat it so nice. I guess just because it's a fun truck to drive.
and work on.
Chris

Old 04-26-2005 | 01:42 AM
|
My wife loves this truck. She is not addicted to it like I am but she loves driving it. If and when I purchase another which may be soon I'm worried she will want it. I've sold our fifthwheel which we simply didn't use enough. So now I have the cash needed to purchase another vehicle not that we need one considering we both work together. I'm looking at a couple of Screws. 4x4 w/5.4 liter engines or ordering this week. But devoting this much time to washing/waxing...............what to do?

Old 04-26-2005 | 08:01 AM
I only have about 3,300 miles on mine and I've owned it a little over 6 months. I have a little Toyota Camry that I drive to work on rainy days. I guess I wash it about once a week.

Yeah, I've got it bad, an obsession that is for keeping the truck nice. I haven't had a new vehicle for many years and I just want to keep it looking good. Having a garage sure helps.

It sure feels good to have a nice truck like this, so I don't mind spending so much time keeping it clean

Scott

Old 04-26-2005 | 10:03 AM
Suspended
I don't know if its this website or what, but every little thing I see with my truck I flip out about and fix it. and I can never stand to see it dirty and thats pretty damn hard when you live down a dirt/rock road.

F-150holics.

Old 04-26-2005 | 10:15 AM
im with craz on this one, mine has small scratches all down the side from limbs and bushes. since ive gotten my truck i have found so many new camping and fishing sites, just put the truck in 4wd and make a trail !! speaking of which does anyone know how to get scratches out?? ive tried waxing but they still show up.

Old 04-26-2005 | 11:04 AM
Suspended
Get some rubbing compound, as long as they arn't DEEP scratches.

Old 04-26-2005 | 11:22 AM
Originally posted by HHIFX4
speaking of which does anyone know how to get scratches out?? ive tried waxing but they still show up.

cover with generous doses of mud!

Old 04-26-2005 | 11:26 AM
My Grandmother used to get new appliances for x-mas and
b-days, like toasters, mixers etc.
She used to store them away in her cabinets and never use them so they would stay new.
Life is short, death is long, i say use the truck and enjoy it.

Old 04-26-2005 | 12:17 PM
Originally posted by CrAz3D
Wash?...Wax?...uh oh, am I missing something?

I have slight scratches all along the driver's side of my truck from driving through bushes out @ the river (& weeds stuck under it still from last weekend)

My truck looks too much like a truck to treat it like a car
hahaha I'm with you dude. Only time my truck gets washed is when it rains. Oh wait, every month or so I take that spray tire & wheel cleaner and spray it on there to get rid of the break dust but that's about it.

I got the light grey for a reason.

NOW on my all black 03 Harley F150, now that's a different story. Never see's rain and is always in the garage.

Old 04-26-2005 | 12:20 PM
Originally posted by J-150
cover with generous doses of mud!
Depends on how deep they are but you can use Zaino or any other clay bar to get rid of them.

Zaino is what the "hot rodders" use to make their vehicles look like shiny as hell.

Quick Reply: Less time in Truck then washing it