2004 - 2008 F-150

Official Lift Kit Question Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Official Lift Kit Question Thread!

I've searched and searched and couldn't come up with any of my answers I need. Im either ordering parts from 4 Wheel Parts.com or going to buy them at the 4 Wheel Parts dealer. Im totally undecided on what to get.

Heres my choices:

1. Rancho Lift Kit -$1,879.95
2. Pro Comp Lift Kit - $1,494.99
3. Pro Comp Lift Kit/MX6 Shocks - $2,292.99 (Same link as above)
4. Fabtech Lift Kit - $1,793.95
5. Fabtech Lift Kit/Dirt Logic Shocks - $2700 (Same link as above)
6. Pro Comp Lift Kit/Dirt Logic Shocks - $2300

Now which lift kit is going to be better quality and a better lift? Im looking for something that is quality and is going to give me a good ride. I only want to do this once and I want to do it right. So I would like to hear some educated opinions on which lift I should get and why. Im also looking to hear from owners of each set-up if there are any out there.

I don't think it matters but I throw it in just in case. Im going to be running MB Motoring Offroad Gunner 6s 18x8.5 wrapped in 35's. Im undecided (like normal) on either BFG M/Ts or Toyo M/Ts.

Old 05-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Also what about some info on Skyjacker?
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/fd4_F150_04+.htm

Old 05-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Suspended
Wow, I think Im going to go crazy since that throws another kit into the mix.

Someone shed some light for me, please.

Old 05-06-2005, 02:51 AM
Why are you lifting your truck and how do you intend to use it?

If you just want to clear the wheel/tire combo you just mentioned then all you need is to raise the front w/ a leveling kit since those are identical to my setup. Your overall ground clearance is determined by the height of your tires.

If increasing suspension travel is your goal then you need a system that replaces the coilover assembly with taller shocks and springs along with modified knuckles while maintaining stock geometry.

For the rear - (1) blocks will only raise the vehicle without increasing the spring rate and increase body roll (2) while the addition of a leaf or replacing the spring pack altogether will increase the spring rate and travel as well as control body roll. Remember you are raising your center of gravity the higher you go.

Also, would you be flying through the desert, crawling over rocks, fording through swamps, climbing mountains, or cruising through the interstates?

I would go with the Skyjacker kit if I decide to put on 37"-38" tires because of their use of replacement rear springs rather than taking a shortcut with blocks. If I stay with the 35" tires I currently have then I would go with the adjustable (remote) shocks by Rancho so that I can dial in any setting based on the terrain.

Old 05-06-2005, 03:05 AM
Thumper,

Since you ride dirt bikes, get an add-a-leaf when you lift your truck.

I have the 6" pro comp on mine, and before i had the extra spring in the back, it would sag with just my 250F back there. Once I get 2 bikes, a mini, and other crap back there, it just looked bad.

Me personally, i'd just get the spacer and not worry about the coilovers. Unless you're going hardcore off-road, or just have the money, I don't see the coilovers as practical.

But hey, to each his own.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:36 AM
I agree with Gear!

The Pro Comp lift w/o the Coilovers is all you need and you can find them periodically on eBay for $1225.00!

I HAD to get a 1.5" Add-A-Leaf with my Pro Comp lift. Your truck will be that much shorter in the rear or else they left part of my Leveling kit on the front LOL!

Old 05-06-2005, 07:50 AM
BlkButy, where did you buy the add-a-leaf and how much?

I also say run the procomp, its a great lift and if you time your purchase right with 4wheelparts, you can get it for under $1300 including shipping.
The coilovers are overkill unless you are doing high rate of speed wheeling, IMO.
I run mine on trails all the time through rutts, mud and over logs, etc. and it runs great with the spacers. I know the coil over would make the ride stiffer and my pockets much shallower. Besides the procomp lift and the skid plate package looks great.
I spent half of last night putting the skid plates on and it looks awesome.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:57 AM
Suspended
I want a good ride on the road too but I want to be able to go offroad and have a little fun. Im not concerened about blazing thru the desert and all that. Im thinking right now I should just buy this kit and if I want, I could upgrade to the Dirt Logic shocks now or later. or what about this kit Would there really be any difference in going with the Pro Comp with the Dirt Logic shocks vs the Fabtech with the Dirt Logic shocks?

How would the ride be on and offroad with the spacers vs coilovers like the Dirt Logics?

Eddy, could you get me a picture of what the skid plates look like?

I'd just like to thank everyone for the help

Last edited by ThumperMX113; 05-06-2005 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:08 AM
I've been studying this issue as well. I agree that it matters what you want to do with it, how you want it to look etc. i want it to ride great ion the highway, as that's mainly what I will do with it, plus I want to increase off road funtionality. I like the Rize Industries kits, which are pricey but seem super solid and have a 4 liink rear if you want to spend major cash. I'm waiting on their availability to see what people think. Trucking' Mag had a review of a lifted Expedition, which is essentially the same a the F 150 front lift, and the review was very favorable.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:32 AM
I will take some pics of the skid plates tomorrow morning if I get a chance. They are also shown on StylinGirls truck. They are really pretty nice, but a little too thin for aluminum plates in my opinion. More for looks and to make sure you dont smack anything on the front crossmember or get hung up in between them. I am pretty sure a decent size log will crease my front plate in no time.
I have to prep the front plate and put that back on today. I was up all last night putting the lower one on.
All I can say is procomp should have covered the threads or re-threaded them after they poweder coated the components. They are a bear to thread and took me hours last night.

The plates really make the front end look amazing. I will post all the pictures you need in due time.

Again I am telling you the procomp lift is great for wheeling, I definitely use mine and I love it. Not to mention all the lifts are made of the same material and similar design. The only thing different on the Procomp and Fabetech is the front crossmember. But hey its your $$ you decide. I can tell you that a whole procomp lift including install can be done for the outright cost of the fabtech. I have been a member for over a year now and seen many with the procomp and I have only seen one problem and I am pretty sure thats due to excessive use.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Suspended
What would the difference in the ride between the non-coilover and coilovers?

Im really undecided at this point but starting to lean towards just going all out and buying the Fabtech with the Dirt Logic coilovers. I just don't want to be upset later down the road that I didn't buy the best or buying the Pro Comp lift and adding the Dirt Logic coilovers. Im not sure which one would offer a better ride.

I know this is stuiped but what exaclty has to but cut to install the lift kit, and is there any welding involved?

Old 05-06-2005, 10:12 AM
ThumperMX113, I went through the same dilemma before I lifted my truck. I couldn't decide which kit but here is what I think you should do... Spend the extra money and get the Fabtech kit. I would install Rancho adjustables all the way around as well. The front Rancho Struts are longer thus disregarding the spacer used by "Pro Crap" and saving you money buy not having to buy dirt logics. With the Rancho, you can adjust the ride your to YOUR liking! Also, the Fabtech not only lowers the front diff but it also lowers the rack and pinion steering. Are you going to upgrade your gears anytime soon? If so, you may want to do them now while the front diff is removed. Just a thought. Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by ThumperMX113
What would the difference in the ride between the non-coilover and coilovers?

Im really undecided at this point but starting to lean towards just going all out and buying the Fabtech with the Dirt Logic coilovers. I just don't want to be upset later down the road that I didn't buy the best or buying the Pro Comp lift and adding the Dirt Logic coilovers. Im not sure which one would offer a better ride.

I know this is stuiped but what exaclty has to but cut to install the lift kit, and is there any welding involved?
In my opinion Fabtech is the best 6" kit (i.e. better than the Procomp). Dirt logics may be overkill if you don't do any hardcore off roading. You are better off with Rancho shocks. Right now, 4 wheels parts is still doing buy 3 get one free on the Ranchos! I had my sales rep give me the front one for free ($114)!

There is a small piece of the frame you need to cut with a sawzall. There is a diagram in the instructions. You can download the instructions from the Fabtech websiteClick here for Instructions

You will also need a pair of coil spring compressors (Sears $40) to do the job.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Suspended
Im not going to be beating on my truck all the time, but I want to know that I can and be able to every once in a while. I'd rather spend the extra money and know that I couldn't of done any better. (Technically, I know there are better kits out there but they arn't built for what I want. )

If I bought this Fabtech 6" Lift Kit I'd be set and I wouldn't need to purchase anything else.

Old 05-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Good Luck...

If you have your heart set on the fabtech, let me at least suggest on holding off on the dirt logics or new coilovers till you think you need them.
I dont know if Sal FX4 has ever taken his FX4 offroad, but I can tell you the Procomp lift is well made and performs well. On that note, I think all the lifts most likely perform well. If the difference in price isnt important then go with what you want. I dont think its to smart to knock the other lifts because I only have a procomp. But I am telling you for the everyday driver who does wheel there truck time to time, they will all be identical. If you try to go 40mph through rutts or over rocks then yeah they will all fail.
I believe the dirt logics have a higher spring rate so they make it a little rougher. The rancho adjustables are good but even that could be overkill depending on how often you use your truck. Some people just lift their trucks and make them pretty, if you are going that route then think more about street driveability and performance over offroad effectiveness. Good luck, be sure to post some pics man.

Quick Reply: Official Lift Kit Question Thread!