2004 - 2008 F-150

OEM HU to iPod AUX kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005 | 07:37 PM
|
OEM HU to iPod AUX kits

2 years and still ZERO options? These things have been promised for what seems like an eternity. FM modulation is not a fix, its a band-aid. Not everyone is interested in bringing attention to shiny new audio equipment in their dashboard so going aftermarket isn't the answer (for everyone) either. Someone who just got canned because they couldn't even flip a burger properly will smash your window and take that $2200 DVD/Nav/MP3/Dishwashing/Diaper changer out of your dash - you know, since few car makers include alarms anymore (even those dont stop or even deter most thieves).

So there are people out there who want a plain-jane OEM radio in the dash and 40GB of music under their seat. These people are also willing to pay upwards of $200 for such a capability. So the market is there. Now where's the supply? I'm tired of going to these electronics company websites once a month and selecting '2004->Ford->F-Series->New body' only to have them offer me a TAPE ADAPTER. Thanks for doing some in-depth research guys - these things don't come with cassette tape decks anymore!

Whose fault is this? Ford hesitating because they want to be first to market? The company that makes the OEM radios hiding their proprietary bus signal? Aftermarket companies (Alpine/Pioneer/JVC/etc) striking a deal to keep this option locked so they can push more units? A secret plot against us 'Truck of the Year' owners to keep us from enjoying our vehicles to the fullest 100%?? ARRGGHHH!!

Old 05-06-2005 | 08:57 PM
I agree 100%. I have sirius and the fm modulation is a joke. I have to constantly switch frequencies and it gets real annoying. Lets hope something happens soon.

Old 05-06-2005 | 10:35 PM
i know what you mean i have 20 g ipod and use the itrip
it's ok but when i go out of town and i do a lot i have to
find a new frequency okc to texas i have to change it about
3 times. but i was in bestbuy the other day they had i think
about 3or 4 ipod ready radios for our trucks don't know how good
they look did not have that much time to check it out all that much
but i will.

Old 05-06-2005 | 11:22 PM
Suspended
The best bet is getting a new headunit. I know this isn't new news but its the best news there is to this whole situation.

Old 05-07-2005 | 08:26 AM
I called www.pie.net the other day, and spoke with tech support again about an adapter. They say they have one that they are "testing", but still have no release date. The person I spoke to guessed about another 2 months. Hopefully someday soon.

Old 05-17-2005 | 07:35 PM
|
I can assume the silence means theres still no solution.

Old 05-17-2005 | 08:21 PM
I have played around on the Ford Vehicles "Build & Price" website for various vehicles the wifey might want, and a few list as "Future Options" an interface for portable music players. Surely the aftermarket isn't waiting to see if Ford releases a kit before they do, right?

-Travis

Old 05-17-2005 | 08:49 PM
Options

Is there a way to wire it directly into the antenna, like a splitter or something? I've even considered buying another modulator for my sirius sportster and just running both of them to hopefully boost the signal but I'm to afraid of burning something up.......oh well, guess I will be waiting too! Some company will make a mint off of us..........

Old 05-17-2005 | 09:00 PM
|
Originally Posted by ryanbeal
Is there a way to wire it directly into the antenna, like a splitter or something?
yeah that's called FM modulation. it's easy but only sounds roughly as good as a strong FM signal (flat but overpowered lows, garbled highs).

Old 05-19-2005 | 04:53 PM
Spoke with a guy at Precision Interface Electronics, ([URL=http://www.pie.net/applepie.cfm]), he is in charge of product development and said that by the end of summer they should have their product out that allows for audio inputs to the new f150's. It will allow the ipod a direct connection without the fm modulator. And then by November or Decmber they will release the ipod interface which will actually allow the factory radio to control the ipod. He said the demand for it is huge, they just broke the code for the new f150 system recently and are pushing hard so that everything is released and running smooth well before the CES.

Well that saves me 2K in a new head unit that would probably get stolen anyway.

Old 05-19-2005 | 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by EmJay
Spoke with a guy at Precision Interface Electronics, ([URL=http://www.pie.net/applepie.cfm]), he is in charge of product development and said that by the end of summer they should have their product out that allows for audio inputs to the new f150's. It will allow the ipod a direct connection without the fm modulator. And then by November or Decmber they will release the ipod interface which will actually allow the factory radio to control the ipod. He said the demand for it is huge, they just broke the code for the new f150 system recently and are pushing hard so that everything is released and running smooth well before the CES.
I hope that this truly pans out. These guys don't have a clue as to how much cash they stand to make by making this unit a reality. This will go nicely with the iPod I plan to buy in the late fall.

-Travis

Old 05-19-2005 | 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by davidlem
to have them offer me a TAPE ADAPTER. Thanks for doing some in-depth research guys - these things don't come with cassette tape decks anymore!!!

That's why ford offer the dual media HU, so you buy a tape adapter to connect your ipod/MDplayer/DAT

it sucks but at least the tape option is there on the F150 unlike other models

Old 05-19-2005 | 05:24 PM
I'm glad we keep bringing this topic up. It is good to have a few people asking about these it so they get them to market.

So now there are three companies to watch.

Soundgate (also say they are close)
Blitzsafe
PIE

Can't believe it has taken 2 years.

Old 05-19-2005 | 05:28 PM
At BestBUy they have kits that plug directly in the the stock HU. The adaptors are around $200, and you also have to buy a cable and a "brain" like the ones that hook up the aplines/pioneers/kenwoods. You also have to buy a display if you want to see what is playing. Here is link to the "brain" . Kind of expensive I think. You might as well get an aftermarket HU and their adaptors. If you want to keep it factory, then this is one way to go.

I know the website does not have any for the '04s and above, but the store in Plano has them.

Last edited by dallasdave; 05-19-2005 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2005 | 05:51 PM
|
Originally Posted by dallasdave
At BestBUy they have kits that plug directly in the the stock HU. The adaptors are around $200, and you also have to buy a cable and a "brain" like the ones that hook up the aplines/pioneers/kenwoods. You also have to buy a display if you want to see what is playing. Here is link to the "brain" . Kind of expensive I think. You might as well get an aftermarket HU and their adaptors. If you want to keep it factory, then this is one way to go.

I know the website does not have any for the '04s and above, but the store in Plano has them.
The description says it communicates between the stock HU and the iCruze adapter using the M-Bus. Problem is our HUs use a new spec called Caan-Bus (or Can-Buss or Caan-Buss, something like that) from what I've read. Again this probably isn't listed because it isn't compatible.

Quick Reply: OEM HU to iPod AUX kits