2004 - 2008 F-150

Strange Clunk/Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008 | 10:31 AM
Hello I'm a new to f-150 forum. I am here because of that darn clunk. I have a 2004 f-150 xlt super cab 4.6 ltr. 4x2. 119,000 miles. When I hit a bump I get a clunk from the rear driver side. I removed the tire and my brake pad fell out, removed rotor e-brake pads fell out. I noticed that I can move wheel hub up and down. This leads me to believe the bearings are shot. This clunk was present for some time than a metal to metal sound, vibration through gas pedal. I also feel it is the rotor hitting the caliper thus..CLUNK..CLUNK at bumps. It has gotten worse over time the ford dealership drove it and said it could be my pinion gear. I say no, no, no. they want to take the whole rear end apart. Now let me say this I have 100% faith in the mechanics that work for ford top notch all the way and would not take my truck to any other repair facility. I need to fix this my self because I just can not afford to have it fixed by the dealer. I have a copy of "QUINTIN" seal and bearing replace post and I'm capable of such work. So is it the bearings? what else should I look for? Is it possible to grind up the bearings and not trash the seals? I have also herd another noise a new humming sound around 30 - 60 mph. Need some help

Old 07-11-2009 | 10:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Anyone solve this problem? Mine showed up recently and it's driving me crazy. Every time I go to work and drive around the parking garage, I hear it.

I'm planning on doing all of the easy checks mentioned in this thread
-tighten shackles
-remove spare tire
-grease slip yoke (even though this probably isn't the problem I'm having)

Anything else I should try?
Thanks

Old 06-29-2010 | 09:20 PM
05 F150 FX4 78K miles.

Mine did it new, maybe 2,000 miles.
Dealership took a peek and lubed it, went away until.

Now (78K miles), Dealership took a look, lubed it and said there were some metal shavings but not that bad. They said I'd probably need a new Drive Shaft in a couple years. They said there wouldn't be a catastrophic failure but just more consistent clunking down the road.

I'm kinda pissed, this should not have happened at 2K miles or
78k miles. I would think that major part should last much
longer than that.

Old 04-19-2011 | 03:13 PM
Wow is all I have to say. I discovered this clunk about 4 months ago and have tried to track it down and finally gave up. I took it into 4wheelparts since they were the last people to work on the rearend. They discovered that the bolts that hold the bed to the frame were loose. They got a full turn out of 4 of the 6 bolts. Clunk gone. This makes sense now that the clunk was active during turning and uneven terrain due to the torque on the frame. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Strange Clunk/Rattle