2004 - 2008 F-150

How I installed my 12V accessories

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to make one more point - and that is if you are doing wiring in your truck be absolutely sure that the wire, connectors, fuses, relays, etc are of proper size and can handle the load. The insulation on most wire will burn and can cause a fire in your truck. There are a lot of sizing charts on the net you can look at - its all dependent on the load and the length of the run. Always oversize when possible on the wiring (not on the fuses though).

Tony

Old 08-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by adfischer
My power is being fed from the trailer brake control port above the foot brake. If you are not going to use a powered brake, this is an excellent source of power because you can get up to 30 amps of power. I used the cable that was included with the truck to build my harness. You’re not going to easily find too many more places this easy to get 30 amps of free power.
Adfischer - Is the trailer brake control port always on? Is there power whem the key is turned off? I need a power supply like this but it need to be off when the key is off. I must have gotten the plug with the truck as I have the trailer tow package. Thanks

Old 08-16-2005, 06:19 PM
Tony,

I did the same thing in my F250, but without the ignition relay. I was running a 50 watt VHF radio and a 35 watt UHF radio. Worked very well.

If you are running a 100w radio, am I correct in assuming you are an amateur radio operator also?

Old 08-17-2005, 09:49 AM
PC Poppy - The brake controller is always on. The purpose of the relay is to switch the power off and on.

Old 08-17-2005, 09:54 AM
mmckenna - Yes, I am. Callsign W4GDF. I have a Yaesu 857 that will do 100 watts on HF. I have not figured out of to mount it yet. I love the center conole, but it limits the room to mount radios!

Old 08-17-2005, 10:44 AM
WL7MN on this end.

I like the 857, might break down and get myself one some day.

I searched long and hard to find a truck that had the XLT partial center console so I would have somewhere to mount the radios. Still a big hassle.

You might want to search around on http://batboard.batlabs.com/index.php
look in the Vehicle installs section. It's a good place to get some mounting ideas. Mostly public saftey stuff, but quite a few hams hang out on there also.

Old 08-18-2005, 09:44 PM
i used one of these from summitracing part #PRF-70207

www.summitracing.com

Old 08-19-2005, 09:29 AM
That looks like a great device and does about the same thing. What I like about mine is that it's modular. All my 12V accessories have the AMP connectors on them. All my 12V sources (deep cycle batteries, vehicles, cig light adapters, etc) have them so I can move them around and power them from whatever, wherever.

Whatever suits your needs. Either way is a great way in my opinion to wire up., Lots of power and very protected.

Tony

Quick Reply: How I installed my 12V accessories