2004 - 2008 F-150

Vibration on take off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005 | 06:36 PM
|
Unhappy Vibration on take off.

My 05 King Ranch 4x4 with 2000 miles has a vibration on take off. The dealership said they can’t fix it. They said that they replaced the clutches in the rear end and lubed the slip yoke. Still vibration. I didn’t buy a $43,000 truck to have this prob. They also said that they test drove new 4x4’s and 2x4’s from there lot and the 4x4’s all had a vibration but the 2x4’s didn’t.WTF What can I do to get this prob. Resolved or my money back???

Old 08-16-2005 | 06:44 PM
mine does this too

but not concerned about it. It feels like what I'd expect a big truck to feel like, not like a car.

Old 08-16-2005 | 07:13 PM
|
Out of all the trucks that i have owned they never had this prob. 93' chevy 3500, 98'chevy 35004x4, and a 00' F-250.

Old 08-16-2005 | 07:57 PM
I have a 2WD and have the same prob.
Here's the TSB:

Driveline - Clunk/Bump When Starting From A Stop

TSB 04-26-6

12/31/04

CLUNK OR BUMP WHEN STARTING FROM A STOP

FORD:
1997-2005 E-Series, F-150, F-Super Duty

ISSUE
Some 1997-2005 E-Series/F-150/F-Super Duty 4x2 vehicles may exhibit a driveline clunk or bump that occurs as the vehicle starts to move forward, following a stop. This condition may be caused by the slip yoke not sliding smoothly on the output shaft splines.

ACTION
Lubricate the slip yoke with Motorcraft PTFE Lubricant. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Verify the condition.

2. Remove the driveshaft per Workshop Manual Section 205-01. Be sure to index-mark the driveshaft during removal to maintain alignment during reinstallation.

3. Lubricate the slip yoke with 7-13 grams (0.25-0.46 oz.) of Motorcraft PTFE Lubricant.

4. Re-index and reinstall the driveshaft per Workshop Manual.

5. Verify the repair.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: 04-1-6

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

Old 08-16-2005 | 07:58 PM
I had that same problem, in the mornings when my truck was cold, upon start off the rear end would shutter, got worse as time went on. Did not start doing that until about 4k miles.
I had the clutch packs replaced and i have had no problems since.
Makes me wonder if they replaced them correctly?

Old 08-16-2005 | 10:07 PM
Mine is doing the same thing. It's a 2005 FX4 Screw and it doesn't seem to matter if it is hot or cold. Driveline clunk or vibration when starting from a stop. Thanks for posting the TSB. I'll reference that when I take it to the dealer.

Last edited by Stephen S; 08-16-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2005 | 12:49 AM
Suspended
my '04 scab 4x4 does it too, just the slight vibration from the rear though starting out from a stop. Lasts about 3 seconds and then goes away, but on the interstate it does it at intervals every minute or so. It especially does it when you start forward from a stop with your wheels turned, and at that point it feels like something is also rubbing up from but I show no wear.

Old 08-17-2005 | 04:17 AM
Originally Posted by KingVinnie
I have a 2WD and have the same prob.
Here's the TSB:

Driveline - Clunk/Bump When Starting From A Stop

TSB 04-26-6
Originally Posted by anaheim
I had that same problem, in the mornings when my truck was cold, upon start off the rear end would shutter, got worse as time went on. Did not start doing that until about 4k miles.
I had the clutch packs replaced and i have had no problems since.
Makes me wonder if they replaced them correctly?
Originally Posted by Stephen S
Mine is doing the same thing. It's a 2005 FX4 Screw and it doesn't seem to matter if it is hot or cold. Driveline clunk or vibration when starting from a stop.
Originally Posted by higdogg
my '04 scab 4x4 does it too, just the slight vibration from the rear though starting out from a stop. Lasts about 3 seconds and then goes away, but on the interstate it does it at intervals every minute or so. It especially does it when you start forward from a stop with your wheels turned, and at that point it feels like something is also rubbing up from but I show no wear.

4 trucks with "exactly the same problem", but totally different problems. That make-a-me raff

Perhaps if you could describe the word "vibration" a little better you could get some more focused advice. I.E. where do you feel it, how long does it last, how does it feel, etc. A vibration, a clunk, and a shudder are all different things.

Old 08-17-2005 | 10:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Those TSBs are copyrighted material from Ford; I ain't saying they'll come after F150online or it's staff, but you might want to trim some stuff out of that one...

Anywho, there's a newer service message for trucks that have a vibration on accel or decel, involves shimming the center support bearing on trucks with two piece driveshafts and/or installing leaf spring shims to alter pinion angle.

Old 08-17-2005 | 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Those TSBs are copyrighted material from Ford; I ain't saying they'll come after F150online or it's staff, but you might want to trim some stuff out of that one...
So what if it's copyrighted, I'm not selling it or profiting from it. Its not classified Ford documents or secrets. It’s general public information, that can be found with anyone with a web browser. Perfectly legal to post TSB's in a forum.

But all that aside they give more insight to people troubleshooting problems, one of the good reasons for this forum. Don’t you feel better going in for service knowing what the problem is rather than being clueless.

Old 08-17-2005 | 03:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by KingVinnie
. It’s general public information, that can be found with anyone with a web browser. Perfectly legal to post TSB's in a forum.

But all that aside they give more insight to people troubleshooting problems, one of the good reasons for this forum. Don’t you feel better going in for service knowing what the problem is rather than being clueless.
Not necessarily. TSBs are intended for use at the dealership level by trained (I know that part's up for debate, but that's another thread...) personel, not your average joe schmoe out and about. And if you'd try some of these crazy *** procedures in some TSBs, you'd find out that a lot of them are at best, SWAGs that engineering thinks may help or ideally solve certain concerns.

And if you'd scroll down to the rest of that TSB, wherever you got it, you'd see fine print where it's verboten to electronically reproduce that document without their say so. If it's printed and distributed on paper, they don't care. Trust me on this one, been there, done that, got the lectures and the T-shirt from powers higher than me. I ain't trying to bust on you or be a buzzkill or anything, just relating my experiences with posting TSBs.

Last edited by Quintin; 08-17-2005 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-17-2005 | 04:03 PM
MHP

Anywho, there's a newer service message for trucks that have a vibration on accel or decel, involves shimming the center support bearing on trucks with two piece driveshafts and/or installing leaf spring shims to alter pinion angle.
Quintin, Do you know the TSB for this. I believe this is the fix for my truck, the vibe is only there off the line and right under my feet, especially when pulling my boat. I always felt it was the 2 piece drive shaft and my dealer has been great about fixing things when i have the TSB for him.

Old 08-17-2005 | 07:29 PM
TSB 05-13-1
SHUDDER/VIBRATION ON MODERATE TO HARD ACCELERATION

Concern: Some 2004-2005 F-150 vehicles may exhibit shudder/vibration on moderate to hard acceleration.

Old 08-17-2005 | 07:35 PM
Not necessarily. TSBs are intended for use at the dealership level by trained (I know that part's up for debate, but that's another thread...) personel, not your average joe schmoe out and about. And if you'd try some of these crazy *** procedures in some TSBs, you'd find out that a lot of them are at best, SWAGs that engineering thinks may help or ideally solve certain concerns.

And if you'd scroll down to the rest of that TSB, wherever you got it, you'd see fine print where it's verboten to electronically reproduce that document without their say so. If it's printed and distributed on paper, they don't care. Trust me on this one, been there, done that, got the lectures and the T-shirt from powers higher than me. I ain't trying to bust on you or be a buzzkill or anything, just relating my experiences with posting TSBs.
He is exactaly right, here is what is at the end of every ford TSB...

Originally Posted by FoMoCo
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Old 08-17-2005 | 09:45 PM
you already have the answer.....dealer can't (or won't) do anything about it....this is why ford has the lowest customer stisfaction !!!! face it...you (all of us) are too picky,there is no problem. BTW...remember ALL pintos exploded when hit in the rear ,so there really was nothing wrong with them !!

Quick Reply: Vibration on take off.