2004 - 2008 F-150

CEL light on with AF1-140 miles!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed my AF-1 when I had my Superchips installed in the 91 towing mode. Went for months without an issue. Changed the Superchips back to the 87 mode and got the cel, cleared it and got another a couple of days later. After clearing the second time it has not returned. There have been several threads on the cel and lean conditions and the conclusion appears to be that even if the cel is triggered, it is not any where close to being a true lean condition.

Reset the cel again and see if it reappears.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by kd4crs
I probably wouldn't have received my replacement tube if Troyer hadn't helped out by talking to AF1 for me. Don't knock Troyer's customer service until you've tried it.
I was in the same boat, had Anita set up the dialog with AF1. Everett, from AF1, was more than happy to ship the newly designed tube to me. I installed the tube about a 100 miles ago, and no CEL. I've romped at WOT a few times and no CEL. So maybe this is the answer to the CEL problems. My personal opinion is this thing took way too much time to resolve than it should have.

From a performance standpoint, I think the new tube design yields less hp than the older design, but I don't have any dyno #s to back this up.

If anyone was to ask, I'd suggest looking into the Granatelli CAI system. It ships with it's own aftermarket MAF sensor and the CAI components, supposedly adds gads of wheel-spinning hp and doesn't through a cel, even on early production 2004 f150s. About a $100 more than the AF1, though. Still, if I had to do it over.....

Old 08-17-2005, 12:51 PM
That new AF1 tube looks like the same type of bend as the Airaid and K&N models, which both of them don't have CEL issues. Performance wise, they have to be about equal now?

Old 08-17-2005, 03:14 PM
600+ miles with not one issue, everything fine with mine.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
That new AF1 tube looks like the same type of bend as the Airaid and K&N models, which both of them don't have CEL issues. Performance wise, they have to be about equal now?
I asked Evrett at AF1 about this and he said they do not think there is any difference in performance between the two designs.

Old 08-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by kd4crs
I asked Evrett at AF1 about this and he said they do not think there is any difference in performance between the two designs.
Well that's wise of Evrett, it'd be unwise of him to immediately tell everyone there was a drop in performance. The new tube should be dyno'd to support it's company's assumptions though.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Well that's wise of Evrett, it'd be unwise of him to immediately tell everyone there was a drop in performance. The new tube should be dyno'd to support it's company's assumptions though.
Like I said in my earlier post, the revised tube does not seem to have as much punch on the "butt" dyno as the original. The few times I was able to run the original tube without a CEL, it was awesome. The revised tube has no CEL condition so far, but I'm thinking it's pretty close to stock performance. Not all that impressive, but I don't have any other mods on the engine (no exhaust, no XC2). My mileage is about 15.8 mpg in mixed driving, though, and I credit the af1 with some the gain.

I may go with the Granatelli CAI system and flip the af1 on ebay.

Someone should dyno the latest design to support AF1's HP claims.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:00 PM
THis is crap, I have the old intake tube!! How and why did I get the old tube design???? I just spoke with Everett from AF1 on the phone and he is sending me the new one. I asked about performance diff's and he said the new design may gain an extra 1-2 hp.

Really!! At this point I don't care, I want the CEL off!!

I will give an update after I get the new "tube".

Old 08-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by jdant
THis is crap, I have the old intake tube!! How and why did I get the old tube design???? I just spoke with Everett from AF1 on the phone and he is sending me the new one. I asked about performance diff's and he said the new design may gain an extra 1-2 hp.

Really!! At this point I don't care, I want the CEL off!!

I will give an update after I get the new "tube".
Woah!!! 1-2 HP over stock or what the previous model did...so 26HP more vs. the old 25HP?

It still needs to be dyno'ed to be proven...not well yeah um I guess.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:14 PM
This is a frightning thread... I sit waiting for my AF1 and it sounds more and more like they run that company like a monkey f**kin' a football.

Quick poll: Ditch the have to trim-it-to-fit and god-knows-how-many-tube-designs AF1 and go with a K&N that posts the dyno numbers on the website and have been doing this crap for eons?! Somebody hold me.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Has anyone tried cleaning the excess oil out of the tubes when new maybe you are getting oil on your intake sensors this happened to me on a 95 f-150 351 with a kn filter that was over oiled.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Wow dzervit clm down dude,
i really wouldnt worry its not that big of a deal
Ya its real scary to have a check engine soon light on in your 40k dollar truck, however i reset the code a few times it popped up like 3 times over the space of about 2 or 3 weeks(i didnt drive to much during then maybe 300 miles) well reset it a while back and havent had a light on sense, there have been some minor problems but once its on there you wont care,
Give it some RPMS and youll forget all about your monkey and its pet football

Old 08-17-2005, 08:56 PM
It's not all the CEL... having to bust out the dremmel to install? Multiple tube designs... unbacked claims of gaining 1-2HP with the 'new' design.... noise if the filter doesn't sit just right... no dyno numbers from the manufacture... this thing better be friggen' awesome.

Old 08-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by dzervit
It's not all the CEL... having to bust out the dremmel to install? Multiple tube designs... unbacked claims of gaining 1-2HP with the 'new' design.... noise if the filter doesn't sit just right... no dyno numbers from the manufacture... this thing better be friggen' awesome.
....all the reasons I'm waiting to order this mod. Please address these items publically AF1 and Troyer (only b/c we trust Troyer and like to hear from him), so they can keep a strong hold on a crowd that spends a lot of money on F150s.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by dzervit
I have to agree... given the extensive R&D Troyer did with AF1, why would you see a CEL at all? Why would any of us have to bust out the dremel in order to plug in the MAF sensor? Given what I know now, I'd choose the exhaust or the chip tuner prior to putting AF1 on the truck.

Hopefully, someone will dyno this sucker

Quick Reply: CEL light on with AF1-140 miles!!!