2004 - 2008 F-150

I think it's time to settle the Cold Air Intake issue...AF1 vs. Volant!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005 | 03:48 AM
kwr
|
I think it's time to settle the Cold Air Intake issue...AF1 vs. Volant!

I have the AF1 and a Magnaflow SISO on my 2005 Lariat crew with an Xcal 2 and pulleys on the way. I've had the AF1 on the truck for about four days now and have mixed feelings about it. I am seriously thinking about ordering a Volant intake and doing a seat of the pants and noise level test between the two. What online store offers the cheapest price on the Volant? I would be posting all the test details here and then I will be selling the unit that does not meet my personal interest. In cabin sound for me is a big issue!

KWR

Last edited by kwr; 08-23-2005 at 03:50 AM.
Old 08-23-2005 | 06:08 AM
i got mine from truckperformance, but it was stupidly cheap when i got it there, i know there are sellers on ebay who sell it for the low $200s. check stylinconcepts, truckperformance, summitracing, etc.

the volant does have some resonance at certain RPM, but the techs say to cover the lower box hole and it should fix it, ive never gotten around to it so i couldnt tell you if that cures it

Old 08-23-2005 | 07:24 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing some testimonials either way. I need to choose one or the other myself and still somewhat unsure as to which way to go (headed more towards AF1)

Old 08-23-2005 | 08:14 AM
WE also need you to by the K&N & AirRaid solutions, take them all to the dyno and give us nice charts and graphs... otherwise don't bother.

Old 08-23-2005 | 08:53 AM
If your main concern is cabin noise then obviously Volant is going to be quieter, the filter is in an enclosed box.

Last edited by jpdadeo; 08-23-2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-23-2005 | 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by kwr
I have the AF1 and a Magnaflow SISO on my 2005 Lariat crew with an Xcal 2 and pulleys on the way. I've had the AF1 on the truck for about four days now and have mixed feelings about it. I am seriously thinking about ordering a Volant intake and doing a seat of the pants and noise level test between the two. What online store offers the cheapest price on the Volant? I would be posting all the test details here and then I will be selling the unit that does not meet my personal interest. In cabin sound for me is a big issue!

KWR
Out of the 2 (these are the 2 I can't decide between) I'll buy the one you don't keep! I know they are so close in comparison...one isn't going to drastically beat the other one IMO. They both offer a unique look and sound matched with equal performance....that's why it is hard for me to decide.

Old 08-23-2005 | 12:12 PM
I am using the volant, and it did have an obvious drone before I installed a Troyer tuned xCal2. That made all the difference in the world because of the changes in the tranmission shift points and a general rise in operating RPM's by approx 250-500 (my guess on that.... i never ran the truck stock for very long) That puts the 1800-1900 rpm drone to rest because I spend more time at 2100-2300 (0-55 driving around town acceleration).

Never threw an error code, really like the enclosed airbox.

I've got a buddy that just went AF1 / Magnaflow on his 2002 Lariat 4x4, I'll take a drive with him to compare noise vs my Banks/ Volant / xCal2 05 Lariat 4x4 and get back with you

Old 08-23-2005 | 02:53 PM
kwr
|
Good feedback guys! I was wondering if the tuner might eliminate some of those weird spots where there is a heavy drone at half throttle, a certain load and 2500-2700 RPM. I will shop around for some good prices and pick one up. I think that seat of the pants feel and driving experience is a far greater value then just dyno #'s as engine upgrades can differ somewhat in their power curves. See according to the info advertised on the AF1, I should of picked up approximately 25 HP @ 3000 RPM at the rear wheels with this upgrade but in all honesty the fastest my truck ever felt was one particular evening before I had installed the AF1 where the only mod was a Magnaflow SISO exhaust. Obviously, there are several other factors that will affect acceleration such as air temperature, humidity and elevation. I will keep everyone posted with the latest.

Thanks,

KWR

Old 08-23-2005 | 03:02 PM
Don't forget the Ford Racing one. I have an Airraid kit on my truck, and a buddy has an AF1 on a 4wd screw. Frankly I'm not overly impressed with what a cold air kit does for performance, same with exhaust. Again I did put it on there, but the exhaust or cold air was kind of a waste of money as far as tire shredding performance. There was a small difference. As far as selling one brand to buy the other, that is just ludicrous in my opinion. Spend the money lost on something else to up performance. Towards some gears maybe? Maybe I'm just too hard to impress after working on racecars what little I have. Now programmer/tuning that's another story.

Quick Reply: I think it's time to settle the Cold Air Intake issue...AF1 vs. Volant!