2004 - 2008 F-150

04-05 Flareside Fender Flares

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005 | 04:05 PM
|
Question 04-05 Flareside Fender Flares

The only Flareside fender flares available from Ford are for the FX4....problem is that they are not painted and worse, they are very "textured".
Why Ford wont offer painted smooth flares for the stepsides is beyond me...
My question: Can the FX4 flares be smoothed some how and then painted with good results? ...and will the paint stick well to this material?

Old 08-25-2005 | 04:07 PM
I dont understand my truck has the flares painted and its an stx

Old 08-25-2005 | 04:17 PM
If the textured fx4 flares fit it, then the painted lariat ones will fit to. They are the same except for the paint. They might not be offered from the factory that way, but they will fit.

Old 08-25-2005 | 04:19 PM
Have you looked at aftermarket flares such as ATS, bushwacker, and a few other brands? An aftermarket brand of fender flare will probably be easier to install on a F-150 that did not originally come with fender flares.

Old 08-25-2005 | 04:26 PM
i posted a flare thead a few days ago, i just got some off ebay for 75 bucks... they are off an fx4 that have the predrilled holes on the outside of the fender.. well i drive an xlt, no holes... so i'm at a delima.. i found a shop that will put them on.. the stealer wanted 225 to put on.. that encludes drillin the holes.. to me..75 was worth it.. they wanted over 400$ new from the dealer.. these are textured and a few scraches, but im doing line-x on em.. so the only thing is being comfortable with someone drillin holes in my fender... even with the install i'll still be way under the going price for flares +install, if i went to the stealer.. am i happy.. yep!.. should get them on 1st of sept!.. i'll post again with pics and prices!

good luck

chris

Old 08-25-2005 | 04:35 PM
|
Originally Posted by noname05
I dont understand my truck has the flares painted and its an stx

Are you saying that you have a Flare-side STX ?
The problem, as I understand it, is the only Flare side with flares is the FX4.
(and they are all textured)

Old 08-25-2005 | 04:39 PM
|
Originally Posted by 05RoushMarkLT
Have you looked at aftermarket flares such as ATS, bushwacker, and a few other brands? An aftermarket brand of fender flare will probably be easier to install on a F-150 that did not originally come with fender flares.
Yes I checked....found out that OEM style Flareside smooth not available through ATS and Bushwacker....Fleetside yes...bummer.

Old 08-25-2005 | 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by 05RoushMarkLT
Bushwacker does not make fender flares for the flareside truck yet. I emailed them, and this was their response:

Originally Posted by Bushwacker Customer Service
Thank you for your interest in Bushwacker products. We do not offer Flares for your Flareside model at this time, but are logging your request for new products. There may be another Manufacturer who produces these parts; we would recommend a search online. There is also www.pacerperformance.com that manufacturers universal fender flares, that fit many vehicles.
Thank you again for your inquiry.

Sincerely,
Bushwacker Customer Service

Old 08-25-2005 | 08:22 PM
I emailed them a while back to see too. I hope they logged my request too. I was also thinking that the the fleet side flares might fit the flareside as they seem to have the same arch in the pictures I have seen. I even took measurements a while back of my flares and couldn't find any one on here willing to measure there flares on the fleetside to see if they were the same. and if they do measure the same I would then have to figure out if they mount the same. so you looked up the part number for the flares for the ford flareside flares. are they the same part number as the fleetside flares? just curious as that would mean they are the same.

Old 08-26-2005 | 12:10 AM
Old trick when your going to drill holes in a new fender. Take some clear silacon and squirt in the hole just before you insert screw. This will seal the open steel and stop rust from forming in the opening. Screw will pull silacon to the back of fender as it turns in.

Quick Reply: 04-05 Flareside Fender Flares