2004 - 2008 F-150

new cats on a 05 f150?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005 | 01:07 PM
|
Question new cats on a 05 f150?

does anyone know where i can get some high flow cats to replace the ones i have now. encase some of you dont know the 05's have a single cat with the O2 sensor stuck in the middle of it dunno why ford did this. but im just wanting to replace my intake, headers and cats all at the same time should see nice gains with all the airflow i would be getting.

Old 08-29-2005 | 02:01 PM
what is the law for cats in al? just run without them and get o2 eliminators

Old 08-29-2005 | 02:18 PM
I don't think there is a law in Alabama right now. Not that I know of anyway. I know there hasn't been an emissions requirement in the past.

Old 08-29-2005 | 05:16 PM
Running without cats is not a good idea. You will lose power. Other than stock, hi-flow aftermarket is the way to go. Not sure of any vendor that makes them though. You can try Bassani or Magnaflow perhaps.

Old 08-29-2005 | 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Justins FX4
encase some of you dont know the 05's have a single cat with the O2 sensor stuck in the middle of it

I didn't know that? Somebody has something I'm sure. Call Magnaflow maybe or Troyer?

Old 08-29-2005 | 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by FX4&EXCURSION
Running without cats is not a good idea. You will lose power. Other than stock, hi-flow aftermarket is the way to go. Not sure of any vendor that makes them though. You can try Bassani or Magnaflow perhaps.
It's a system; that is working together, you wont lose anything if you have the right system, and that mainly deals with the muffler itself.

Your signature takes up an entire page, maybe yours should be called a page-ature

Old 08-29-2005 | 05:26 PM
Correct

Originally Posted by asinatra
It's a system; that is working together, you wont lose anything if you have the right system, and that mainly deals with the muffler itself.

Your signature takes up an entire page, maybe yours should be called a page-ature
The cats and muffler as a system. Not a good idea to run just a muffler and no cats. A good system would be say a Magnaflow AND a hi-flow cat. That would be a great system. By the way, leave my sig alone.

Old 08-29-2005 | 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by Justins FX4
does anyone know where i can get some high flow cats to replace the ones i have now. encase some of you dont know the 05's have a single cat with the O2 sensor stuck in the middle of it dunno why ford did this. but im just wanting to replace my intake, headers and cats all at the same time should see nice gains with all the airflow i would be getting.
My truck is setup the same. But, I guess all '05s are not this way. I got a lot of replies saying they should have 4.

I personally don't think it's a bad thing ford did this. It sure is better than having 4.

Old 08-29-2005 | 06:01 PM
What ever you end up getting DO NOT get a MAC off-road pipe. I had one on my 03 Mustang GT and although it sounded sweet at WOT....there was an exhaust leak that I could never fix. The pipes were just really crappy quality.

Old 08-29-2005 | 10:57 PM
|
Originally Posted by offroadmaniac
My truck is setup the same. But, I guess all '05s are not this way. I got a lot of replies saying they should have 4.

I personally don't think it's a bad thing ford did this. It sure is better than having 4.
i wasnt saying it was bad to have only 2 cats but the o2 in the middle of the cat is weird. i've never seen another car with anything like that on it, im sure i can get weilded in but it would be a pain to replace them if they ever messed up

but i do have 2 more questions.

1. how much in gains do you think i would get from all this and a turner? thinking about the underdrive pullys too (mpg and hp/tq)

2. would it really matter that i have a flowmaster super 40 and not a real performance muffler? i really like the sound for the 40 but would rather have performance now that the new sound of that deep rumble has worn off

Old 08-29-2005 | 11:04 PM
Get an IMCO 1 chamber. It will still be nice and loud and flows a hell of a lot better than Slowmaster.

Old 08-29-2005 | 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by fourpointsix
Get an IMCO 1 chamber. It will still be nice and loud and flows a hell of a lot better than Slowmaster.
I was told by my local exhaust shop that IMCO is just one step above stock. But, I don't know that for sure.

I went with magnaflow.

Since they have the o2 sensor mounted on top of the cat, I guess we're stuck with high flow cats, unless the tuner can compensate for removing the sensor.

Old 08-30-2005 | 12:17 AM
|
just added it up it should be around 90-100 rwhp gain hopefully about 4 mpg too if i stay out of the gas gonna cost about 2k for it all biggest part being headers. im amussing they be around 200 for the install no way im doing that myself after hearing the stories here everything else should be easy. im prolly gonna hold out on cats and just go with af1, tbs, magnaflow, headers, and a xcal2. next will either be procharger or whipple (if they ever get off backorder) or some 4.56 gears. prolly will be the gears just cause i dont have the 6-7k to drop for the charger

Quick Reply: new cats on a 05 f150?