2004 - 2008 F-150

BAAAAD vibration after using E-Brake???....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005 | 11:23 PM
|
BAAAAD vibration after using E-Brake???....

I had to use the parking brake on my '04 today while parking on a hill. After returning to the truck and releasing the brake it didn't "feel" right, almost like it didn't completely release. I reapplied the brake and pulled the release again..... still didn't feel quite right. Put the truck in gear, everything seemed fine until I hit the highway about 2 miles down the road and BANG! Wow, what a vibration, more like an intense shudder reverberating throughout the entire truck. It was so bad I couldn't even screw the cap back on the water bottle I had been drinking from. This truck has NEVER done this before. The only thing I could think of that I had done differently was using the e-brake. The e-brake can cause such an intense vibration?? No way!!!!!.... anyways, thats what I thought until I came home and ran a search concerning this on my favorite web-site! damn I love this site. My problem now is the e-brake almost seems like it is still dragging.... has anyone had a positive experience with their dealership concerning this problem? I searched and could not find any TSBs related to the e-brake and vibrations??? Anyways, thanks guys, its great to have this site to fall back on at times like this!

Old 08-29-2005 | 11:35 PM
Sounds like the e brake is stuck. Crawl underneath and check the lever sticking out of the backing plate. Maybe its rusty / dirty / muddy whatever. The E brake is inside the back wheel disk hub...

Old 08-30-2005 | 07:44 AM
Yeah, your e-brake definately stuck. First of all, my truck did exactly the same thing. I got mine to release by backing up for about 20 ft, and hitting the brakes with moderate pressure. That usually worked to release them, then again mine only stuck once before I brought it into the dealer.

Also, I would definately take the truck to the dealer. I took mine in only to find that the e-brake had not just froze up on my truck, but my axle seals were leaking, cause the e-brake to hang up on one side. The gear oil leaked into both of my e-brakes from the axle seals and ruined both of them.

When I took my truck to the dealer, the replaced my axle seals, both side e-brakes, rotors, pads, and right rear caliper (froze up a day before e-brake, probably reasoning for pads and rotors). I had only 14500 on my truck when it did it, and I got new stuff no questions asked. I was very happy with the service.

Anyway, I am willing to bet your axle seals may be leaking too, as this is a common thing that I have heard that happens to '04 F-150's. Hope I could help!

Old 08-30-2005 | 08:00 AM
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with this problem. Mine has done this a few times and I havent taken it in to get it fixed yet but I think I will set that up very soon.

Anytime mine has failed to release, I have had to put it in reverse a couple of times and hit the brakes. this usually takes a couple of times back and forth. Usually this isnt much of a problem but the last time it happened to me, I had a 20 foot trailer on the back of my truck whtich made the quick reverse stops a little more interesting.

Old 08-30-2005 | 10:56 AM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...t=brake+repair
Should fix you up. or print out and hand to the dealer.
Chris

Old 08-30-2005 | 10:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Your parking brake is stuka dude.

Quick Reply: BAAAAD vibration after using E-Brake???....