2004 - 2008 F-150

Bilstein 5100s are in

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005 | 11:54 PM
Easy Fix....

Real Easy fix: just turn the truck over..... Ooops...been there, done that and that did not work so well.......At least the insurance company did not think so!

Woof
Bowser

Old 10-19-2005 | 12:36 AM
most gas shocks will work good in any position, unless you have custom valving or they are drag shocks or something. Check out the front shocks they only go in one way?? The yellow shocks the lettering is oppisite the silverones.Unsprung weight isn't really a issue with these trucks. I have the yellow bilstiens and they made quite a difference on my street truck.

Old 10-19-2005 | 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by hwm3
So Bilstein prints their name and labels upside down on their shocks? I kinda doubt that.
Them wacky German's.

Old 10-19-2005 | 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
These shocks can be mounted either way, unlike the fronts or reservoir shocks. I mounted mine like the OE. However there are a couple of advantages to mounting them tube down. The first I had already mentioned. Believe me the piece of steel I hit would have bent the shaft. The hole put right near the bottom of the tube went halfway around the tube. Over an inch long and half inch wide.
The second advantage is the shield has holes in it to let air in and out while compressing. If running thru water, what you are sucking in and out is water, not air. Something the shield is there specifically to keep out. That and dirt/mud. If you are in water deep enough to go in the holes with the shield up, your truck is probably floating.

As for the lettering, my OE replacement shocks lettering is upside down. My understanding is that Bilstein has changed the way the lettering is on these shocks now. Readable with shield up.
If I were to guess, sounds like ford put 'em on upside down if you base it all on lettering.

Old 10-19-2005 | 10:51 PM
Unless your shocks are specifically designed to be mounted upside down or designed to be mounted in either direction, please follow the rule stated for dual shocks. As a rule, dual tube shocks should never be mounted upside down. Some people say that monotube or gas pressurize shocks can be mounted upside down, however in time they will develop and extra inch or more of piston travel that has little to no dampening effect whatsoever. Ultimately: don’t mount shocks upside down just because it looks cool. Sometimes a shock must be mounted upside down due to space limitations, or to protect the shock body, if this is the case, make sure you use a shock designed to be mounted upside down.

Please see this link and let's end this discussion.
http://www.4x4review.com/feature/shock-genius.asp

scroll down to - Upside Down?

D's shocks are on correctly!
Just as they are from the factory.

Old 10-19-2005 | 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by hwm3
All I have done so far to the rear is add the 2" blocks from a 4x4. The 5100s are designated by Bilstein as lifted suspension shocks. I got them because I plan to only add another inch or so of height to the rear, and these will still work in that configuration.

As is sits now the bumpstop will hit about a 1/2" before the shock bottoms out.

As far as tube up vs. tube down, these shocks are designed to be mounted tube up. This is the reason for the label to be applied the way it is and the shock boots have drain holes in the bottom so they won't hold water.

I don't worry about something hitting the shaft and bending it. It takes a lot more force to bend the shaft than it does to puncture the tube. Besides, I ran these same shocks on the rear of my Jeep for about a year, and NEVER damaged the shaft. The truck will see a much easier life than the Jeep did.
Hey HWM3,

Sorry everyone is bashing you on correct installation ( upside down or not?? ). I would like to hear more about how you like the shocks!!! What do you feel to be the differences from stock? Would these work on a non lifted vehicle? Is the ride firmer than stock? I know that Bilsteins have a great reputation. Did you mention the cost?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-19-2005 | 11:20 PM
Just thought since everyone else was chiming in, this pic is from Bilstein's website. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have posted the pic upside down:

Bilstein

Old 10-19-2005 | 11:25 PM
|
Originally Posted by ford2004F150
Unless your shocks are specifically designed to be mounted upside down or designed to be mounted in either direction, please follow the rule stated for dual shocks. As a rule, dual tube shocks should never be mounted upside down. Some people say that monotube or gas pressurize shocks can be mounted upside down, however in time they will develop and extra inch or more of piston travel that has little to no dampening effect whatsoever. Ultimately: don’t mount shocks upside down just because it looks cool. Sometimes a shock must be mounted upside down due to space limitations, or to protect the shock body, if this is the case, make sure you use a shock designed to be mounted upside down.

Please see this link and let's end this discussion.
http://www.4x4review.com/feature/shock-genius.asp

scroll down to - Upside Down?

D's shocks are on correctly!
Just as they are from the factory.
I highly doubt there will be any problem with my shocks mounted with the shaft on the bottom. They are the same as the Bilstein 5150 shock, just without the external reservoir. What you posted might apply to cheap monotube shocks, but not the 5100 series Bilsteins.

Old 10-19-2005 | 11:31 PM
|
Originally Posted by DRHRSH
Hey HWM3,

Sorry everyone is bashing you on correct installation ( upside down or not?? ). I would like to hear more about how you like the shocks!!! What do you feel to be the differences from stock? Would these work on a non lifted vehicle? Is the ride firmer than stock? I know that Bilsteins have a great reputation. Did you mention the cost?

Thanks,

Dave
The bashing doesn't bother me. They simply don't know any better.

As far as the shocks are concerned, I bought the 5100 series for lifted applications. They are NOT the standard Bilstein OEM replacements. If you want to order these shocks you'll have to measure to get the proper length for your application.

These shocks really just do a much better job of damping the rear of the truck. It doesn't have the stock "bounce" over larger bumps like railroad tracks and things like that. Much smoother ride, but not harsh. I decided to run these since I already had a set on the rear of my Jeep and they really improved the ride and stability. HTH.

Old 03-09-2006 | 11:18 AM
have read this entire thread and still do not know which way is up: my 5100's have arrived and the name bilstein and words are read with boot up.

Old 03-09-2006 | 12:08 PM
It doesn't matter which way you mount the Bilsteins since they are gas charged. Now a shock like Ranchos need to be mounted tube down for their valving system to work correctly. Don't worry about the boots, just leave them off. All they do is trap mud and stuff in there. See pic:

Last edited by treatcg; 03-09-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-09-2006 | 06:08 PM
they are suppose to be mounted that way . my f-250 were mounted that way and currently my f-150 are mounted that way. i called bilstein and they said you should be able to read the name without standing on your head.

Last edited by dirk upson; 03-09-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2006 | 08:11 PM
I found this in a search.

Vehicle: 2005 Ford 150
[quote]Originally posted by ThumperMX113
[b]If I was you I'd just call Blistein with all this different answers coming in.

I called Bilstein Friday there response after ten minutes on hold,was that they should be installed with the Stamped word Bilstein (its not the blue painted part but stamped into the shock body) oriented so that the wording is right side up. I looked on my shocks and the front shock is stamped on the bottom with shaft up the only way it can be installed anyway, the rear shocks are stamped on top with shaft down or boot on bottom.

Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
I contacted Bilstein when I went to put mine on. The boots go down. The lettering on the labels is correct end up so you can read them.

Old 03-09-2006 | 08:20 PM
exactly

Old 03-10-2006 | 12:35 AM
Talking

ok, I called two different shock dealers,AJ-USA and CENTRAL 4 WHEEL DRIVE
told them I have a 2005 f-150 fx4. asked which way the 5100 rear shock is supposed to go on and both said so you can read the word bilstein. with the b on the left and n on the right. SO on the 5100's I have ,the boot goes toward the TOP. That is the way it is stamped, and also the way the blue band that says bilstein is put on

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100s are in