2004 - 2008 F-150

Truck would not start....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005 | 11:42 AM
Sounds like a haunted car wash!

Old 10-12-2005 | 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by GrizfromKY
Sounds like a haunted car wash!
why not could be the goblins are playing a little early...

Old 10-12-2005 | 02:30 PM
|
Looks like I am not the only one now.

Sorry that this is happening to you guys also. When I get home I am going to check my trucks build date and see if I need the latest PCM also.

Good luck fellas!

Old 10-19-2005 | 02:15 PM
I got my truck back from the dealer two days ago after taking it in for an intermittent no start condition and an occasional driveline clunk. Dealer could not replicate either problem, but they called Ford and had the reflash authorized under TSB 05-10-12A. (My truck's build date is 4/4/05.)

Here are my observations so far regarding the reflash:
1. After a cold start, the engine idle falls to ~650-700 RPM within 10 seconds. Prior to the reflash, it took 30+ seconds for the idle to fall below 1000 RPM. Hard gear engagement when shifting from Park to Drive/Reverse is noticeably reduced.
2. Warm-engine idle is ~500-550 RPM. Prior to reflash, it was about 700 RPM.
3. Noticeably improved throttle response. I also no longer have a dead spot at the top of the throttle.
4. Much improved downshifting--the tranny downshifts much more quickly/smoothly when required for passing or harder acceleration. The 3-2 downshift clunk I experienced when decelerating below 25 mph is gone.
5. No problems with the no start condition since the reflash.

The reflash seemed to address all of my concerns (and more). It was a somewhat painful process since I had to leave my truck at the dealer for three days, but now I'm glad I did it.

C-17 Pilot

Old 11-11-2005 | 08:41 AM
|
Well guys it has reared its ugly head again...for the first time since 9/22/05 that this has happened to me.

I went to a local flower shop here on 11/9/05 and went inside and ordered some flowers. I was probably inside for 10 minues and when I came back to the truck to crank it....nothing. It turns over but will not crank....it has a pattern of happening back to back times and then after waiting for a couple minutes it cranks right up.

Called the dealer and reported it, this is the 4th time since June 13, 2005. I now have an appointment for Monday 11/14/05 with the dealer, so guys please wish me luck that they find something that is causing this. They want to keep the truck and see if they can reduplicate what is happening.

I have 2580 miles on the truck.

My only fear is driving somewhere with my wife in the truck and it happens again and maybe not cranking at all.

Last edited by Stragum; 11-11-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-11-2005 | 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Stragum
Well guys it has reared its ugly head again...for the first time since 9/22/05 that this has happened to me.

I went to a local flower shop here on 11/9/05 and went inside and ordered some flowers. I was probably inside for 10 minues and when I came back to the truck to crank it....nothing. It turns over but will not crank....it has a pattern of happening back to back times and then after waiting for a couple minutes it cranks right up.

Called the dealer and reported it, this is the 4th time since June 13, 2005. I now have an appointment for Monday 11/14/05 with the dealer, so guys please wish me luck that they find something that is causing this. They want to keep the truck and see if they can reduplicate what is happening.

I have 2580 miles on the truck.

My only fear is driving somewhere with my wife in the truck and it happens again and maybe not cranking at all.

enlighten me.....(turns over but doesn't crank)....don't you mean it cranks over but doesn't fire????correct???...mine will do this to and it's always when your just running into a store for a bit i can run all day long stop it and let it sit for a few hours and it will never do this. like going to work for 8 hrs and then leaving at the end of the day, never a problem. it's the quick in and out runs that do it....hope the dealer finds the culprit please let me know if you find out anything....

Old 11-11-2005 | 01:45 PM
|
Originally posted by Mighty 150
don't you mean it cranks over but doesn't fire????correct???
Yes Mighty that is exactly what it is doing.

But again, today it happened again. My sister and I were returning from eating lunch at noon time here and it happened again...3 consecutive times it turns over but it does not fire.

I called the dealer immediately and reported it to the maintenance manager, while on the phone I try and crank it and it doesn't fire. Finally while still on the phone with him after a couple minutes the truck cranks and fires up.

I will see the dealer first thing Monday morning (7 am) sharp.

1 question: Will a PCM reflash solve my problem you think? But to me it sounds like fuel problem.

But getting back to you Mightly. Yes my trucks starts up (fires up) just fine in the morning before going to work, it can sit in the parking lot all day and when I get ready to leave it starts with no problems.

Today my sister and I were in the restaurant for 45 minutes and it did this, before it had only been between 5 and 10 minute intervals or the quick run in and out runs like you say Mighty.

I will let u guys know what happens...say a prayer for me in hopes that they find the problem and fix it for good, so that it can be fixed for all who are having this same problem.

Last edited by Stragum; 11-11-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-11-2005 | 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Mighty 150

Yes Mighty that is exactly what it is doing.

But again, today it happened again. My sister and I were returning from eating lunch at noon time here and it happened again...3 consecutive times it turns over but it does not fire.

I called the dealer immediately and reported it to the maintenance manager, while on the phone I try and crank it and it doesn't fire. Finally while still on the phone with him after a couple minutes the truck cranks and fires up.

I will see the dealer first thing Monday morning (7 am) sharp.

1 question: Will a PCM reflash solve my problem you think? But to me it sounds like fuel problem.

But getting back to you Mightly. Yes my trucks starts up (fires up) just fine in the morning before going to work, it can sit in the parking lot all day and when I get ready to leave it starts with no problems.

Today my sister and I were in the restaurant for 45 minutes and it did this, before it had only been between 5 and 10 minute intervals or the quick run in and out runs like you say Mighty.

I will let u guys know what happens...say a prayer for me in hopes that they find the problem and fix it for good, so that it can be fixed for all who are having this same problem.

we for sure have the same symptoms, i thought maybe at first it was fuel related,but it wasn't.i have only gone about 4-5 days max w/out any problems.however,it is usually a daily occurance for me...

Old 11-14-2005 | 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by MIGHTY 150
we for sure have the same symptoms, i thought maybe at first it was fuel related,but it wasn't.i have only gone about 4-5 days max w/out any problems.however,it is usually a daily occurance for me...
I have the same problem as well. I recently had a reflash though and it didn't help anything. I am curious as to what the fix is.

Old 11-14-2005 | 05:45 PM
|
Alright guys! I took my truck in this morning, left it with the dealer for about 7 hours, they call me and tell me that they did not find anything wrong with the truck. However, they did call the home office hotline and confirm that my truck did indeed need the latest PCM reflash...TSB 05-19-1. So they installed the latest calibration in PCM software level V39.13 per TSB 05-19-1.

I currently now have the latest PCM reflash which is B39.13

The mechanic I spoke to told me that the Hotline did reveal that there were some early build problems on the 2005 F1-150's prior to 4/20/05 that had some software problems when testing injector flow where some injectors were leaking....luckily mine were not. My injectors tested out fine.

Ok I am typing the following from the ticket that I think may have been accdiently left in the truck...not sure though.

ISSUE:

Some 2005-F150 and 2006 Mark LT vehicles equipped with 5.4L 3-value engine and built prior to 4/20/05, may exhibit the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on, or various driveability conditions as follows.

F-150/Mark LT

- Slow throttle responses
- Hesitation on accelaration (cold)
- Fast engine idle after cold start (does not apply to California emissions vehicles)
- Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0351-P0358
- Hard starting/long cranks/cranks-no start

ACTION:

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to latest calibration level using WDS release B36.11 and higher or B37.2 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B37-CD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com

I hope this helps you guys Mighty and Craig.

I will update in the future...hopefully I will have no more problems.

Old 11-14-2005 | 06:00 PM
Thanks for the info Stragum. My build date was 04/05, not sure the exact day though.
My reflash didn't fix my problem of hard starting but it did fix my my throttle lag problems which is all I brought it in for last time. The hard starts seem to be getting worse though so I guess I'll make an appt. I'll post the fix when I get it done.
Craig

Old 11-14-2005 | 10:53 PM
|
No problem Craig and good luck bud. Here's toasting and hoping are problems get resolved soon.

I love my truck and it is frustrating to have the same mystery ailment keep happening over and over again.

Old 11-15-2005 | 11:21 AM
Alright guys! I took my truck in this morning, left it with the dealer for about 7 hours, they call me and tell me that they did not find anything wrong with the truck. However, they did call the home office hotline and confirm that my truck did indeed need the latest PCM reflash...TSB 05-19-1. So they installed the latest calibration in PCM software level V39.13 per TSB 05-19-1.

I currently now have the latest PCM reflash which is B39.13

The mechanic I spoke to told me that the Hotline did reveal that there were some early build problems on the 2005 F1-150's prior to 4/20/05 that had some software problems when testing injector flow where some injectors were leaking....luckily mine were not. My injectors tested out fine.

Ok I am typing the following from the ticket that I think may have been accdiently left in the truck...not sure though.

ISSUE:

Some 2005-F150 and 2006 Mark LT vehicles equipped with 5.4L 3-value engine and built prior to 4/20/05, may exhibit the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on, or various driveability conditions as follows.

F-150/Mark LT

- Slow throttle responses
- Hesitation on accelaration (cold)
- Fast engine idle after cold start (does not apply to California emissions vehicles)
- Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0351-P0358
- Hard starting/long cranks/cranks-no start

ACTION:

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to latest calibration level using WDS release B36.11 and higher or B37.2 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the B37-CD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com

I hope this helps you guys Mighty and Craig.

I will update in the future...hopefully I will have no more problems.

STARGUM-thanks for the post my build date was 07-05, i'll keep a close eye on this one....

Old 11-15-2005 | 05:02 PM
....The mechanic I spoke to told me that the Hotline did reveal that there were some early build problems on the 2005 F1-150's prior to 4/20/05 that had some software problems when testing injector flow where some injectors were leaking....luckily mine were not. My injectors tested out fine......
I took my truck in this morning. The service advisor just called. They verified the problem. The root cause - 4 injectors were leaking.
They also said it was running rich. So what would happen is after about an hour I would try to start the truck but it would be flooded and that's why it didn't start. Grief. Thanks again Stragum. I am sure glad they found the problem.

Last edited by CraigH; 11-15-2005 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2005 | 07:08 PM
|
You're welcome guys!! Anytime. I hope all of our problems are behind us once and for all.

Just continue to keep a running log....

Quick Reply: Truck would not start....