2004 - 2008 F-150

Truck would not start....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005 | 03:39 PM
And back to the dealer on monday. I guess it'll take more than 4 new injectors to fix my problem since it still has trouble starting after it's warmed up. It's pretty cool feeling when you hop back in your brand new $35,000 truck and it doesn't like to start.

Old 11-18-2005 | 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by CraigH
And back to the dealer on monday. I guess it'll take more than 4 new injectors to fix my problem since it still has trouble starting after it's warmed up. It's pretty cool feeling when you hop back in your brand new $35,000 truck and it doesn't like to start.
don't like to hear that, and i know you don't...

Old 05-11-2006 | 02:05 PM
|
It's baaaaack!

....and I am not happy about it one bit.

Got in the truck, put key in ignition and waited like I always do for the lights to come on and then quit dinging. Turned the key and the truck did not crank.

Turned the key back and tried again....nothing.

Turned the key back and waited about a minute, turned the key and it cranked right up.

It attempts to crank, but doesn't fire.

This mystery ailment has reared its ugly head once again. Mt sister was with me as a witness this time.

I hope it doesn't start happening again.

This is the first occurrence since I had the truck's computer reflashed last year.

Old 05-11-2006 | 02:25 PM
I had a friend who owned a 2002 vette that did the samething and every time it did it he call the dealer to pick it up on there dime. They replaced everything on the car and nothing worked. Finally he did the lemon law and everyone told him he wont win. Long story short he won and got all his money back with tax. I havent talk to him since I moved but I know he bought a Navigator.

Old 07-21-2006 | 08:46 AM
|
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

When will this ever end?

My truck is 14 months old and has less than 7000 miles on it and this keeps happening to me.

Time: 6:50 am CST, Place: Starbucks Cafe

This morning when returning to my truck out of Starbucks my truck would not crank. It turns over, but nothing is happening.

I waited about 10-15 secs between each turn, 4 times in row the truck would not start, would not fire. It sounded like a very dry start if that makes any sense, almost like there was no gas being stored in the resevoir like it should.

I waited about 2 minutes like I have done in the past and finally it cranked.

I called my dealer and reported the problem like I have each time this mystery ailment has happened. He advised me that the next time it happened, to not attempt to start the truck, but to call Roadside Assistance and have them come and pick the truck up and bring it to them, in hopes of catching it happening again.

This has gotten to be very embarrasing for me. Prior to entering my truck and young dude tells me what a nice looking truck I have and then all of sudden the thing won't crank. He looks at me like what is wrong....

I am losing patience with this and pray that somehow this can be fixed very very soon.

Next time it happens they can come get it.....I gonna start screaming lemon law if they don't fix this.

@^#&$^##^*##^8#(^Y#*9#&7

Old 07-21-2006 | 10:12 AM
|
I wish someone had an answer to this mystery ailment. It just makes me sick to my stomach to know there is something wrong no one knows what to do about it. The dealer isn't going to just start replacing parts at will.

I love my truck, but I hate this! I never had a problem out of my 2000 F-150 in 5 years.

Last edited by Stragum; 07-21-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2006 | 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Stragum
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

When will this ever end?

My truck is 14 months old and has less than 7000 miles on it and this keeps happening to me.

Time: 6:50 am CST, Place: Starbucks Cafe

This morning when returning to my truck out of Starbucks my truck would not crank. It turns over, but nothing is happening.

I waited about 10-15 secs between each turn, 4 times in row the truck would not start, would not fire. It sounded like a very dry start if that makes any sense, almost like there was no gas being stored in the resevoir like it should.

I waited about 2 minutes like I have done in the past and finally it cranked.

I called my dealer and reported the problem like I have each time this mystery ailment has happened. He advised me that the next time it happened, to not attempt to start the truck, but to call Roadside Assistance and have them come and pick the truck up and bring it to them, in hopes of catching it happening again.

This has gotten to be very embarrasing for me. Prior to entering my truck and young dude tells me what a nice looking truck I have and then all of sudden the thing won't crank. He looks at me like what is wrong....

I am losing patience with this and pray that somehow this can be fixed very very soon.

Next time it happens they can come get it.....I gonna start screaming lemon law if they don't fix this.

@^#&$^##^*##^8#(^Y#*9#&7
well if it makes you fell any better it happens to me as well. it is extremely frustrating and annoying when it happens. it is so sporatic that i guess i won't worry about it until it becomes more common. i mean it's like one week it hiccups a couple of times, and then and currently now it goes away for more than 1-1-1/2 at a time. strange indeed..... please keep us posted though....

Old 07-21-2006 | 12:04 PM
|
Mighty you still having problems to bud? Dang.

Well I emailed Ford about it and I hope they will get back in contact with me about this.

I talked to my personal mechanic and he told me his first guess would be that it would be a bad fuel pump.

But he said the way it is randomly happening it would be hard to pinpoint the problem.

This thread is my running log and the history of my problems. I also keep it saved as a word doc on my cpu.

Old 07-21-2006 | 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Stragum
Mighty you still having problems to bud? Dang.

Well I emailed Ford about it and I hope they will get back in contact with me about this.

I talked to my personal mechanic and he told me his first guess would be that it would be a bad fuel pump.

But he said the way it is randomly happening it would be hard to pinpoint the problem.

This thread is my running log and the history of my problems. I also keep it saved as a word doc on my cpu.
Your state has some pretty darn great lemon laws... Keep reporting the problem, and keep having Ford pick it up at their cost. Four attempts at repair of a single complaint, OR 30 days of continuous nonuse as a result of the defect are the magic numbers. Once you qualify under EITHER of those standards, it is only a matter of proving that the defect substantially impairs the use of the vehicle. I would say that having a vehicle that cranks up intermittently is a classic "substantial impairment" situation. Keep in mind that lemon laws are desgined to specifically address these types of obscure situations - if the manufacture can't fix it, it's a lemon!

I really can't believe you're still dealing with this. I understand that it is difficult to complain about something that you can't reproduce, but you're a patient man. Good luck, and hang in there.

Last edited by minus_13; 07-21-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2006 | 08:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

It used to happen to me ALL the time. After the first reflah it still happened frequently. Since the second reflash it hasn't happen once.

Old 07-28-2006 | 11:23 AM
|
My response from Ford.....I am not surprised. Sounds like they really want to help me too .

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding your 2005 Ford F-150.

Before we can make a decision regarding Ford warranty or Extended Service Plan coverage the vehicle must be diagnosed by a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership. Any repairs or services not completed at a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealership would be the responsibility of the customer.

If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Julienne
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Old 08-01-2006 | 01:00 AM
Stragum,

I'm having the same problem you are. I've had it in four times now, twice at different dealerships, trying to nail the problem. Mine's actually fired off codes twice, but by the time I got to the dealer, the codes had mysteriously disappeared from the PCM. Sounds like your luckily still w/n your warranty, as mine just ran out about 500 miles ago, even though the truck is less than a year old. I have four friends who's F150's do the same thing. I even had one of the dealership's techs tell me in private that they've had multiple trucks in with the same problem. So I highly doubt Ford does not know about this.

I've now asked my service mgr. to put me in contact with the regional sales rep for my area. At this point, I'm gonna demand Ford take this truck back since I reported this problem during the warranty period. The service manager thinks I'm gonna have a hard time w/ the lemon law as the dealership has never been able to duplicate the problem. I keep explaining to him, how can you duplicate it, if it only happens 3-4 times a month.

If I hear anything helpful from Ford (doubt I will) I will let you know. At this point I've already told my service mgr. (he knows me quite well) to stress to the sales rep that I have the money and time to tie Ford up for a while with this in court if I have to.

One piece of advice I've recieved from two of my friends who own dealerships (although one's a cadillac dealership and the other a chevy); if you raise enough racket they will do what they can to shut you up. Sounds like it's time for you to start going up the ladder like me

Old 08-01-2006 | 01:19 AM
I thought I should mention that I've been searching around the net for others w/ the same problem, as I'm thinking if we get enough people complaining to Ford, then maybe they'll get up and do something about it.

Unfortunately my friend gave up and switched to GMC HD. The funny thing is, I trade my vehicles once a year, and I was getting ready to get rid of this truck and get a 250 King Ranch. But now I'm sort of pissed off and keeping this truck so that I have something to fight Ford over....lol.

Old 11-13-2006 | 02:54 PM
I'd like to stay in the loop too, I have the same problems with my truck. It seems to be happening once every couple of months. Yesterday it did actually start but for about five seconds the rpm's jumped from 250-750-250-500, I thought it would die like usual, then it started to idle normally. I agree its embarrassing.

I'm taking it to the dealer on Wednesday, my truck has never thrown a code in the past when its happened. In the past they have done nothing, they don't even trouble shoot it like they would with a used out of warranty vehicle. I told them to consider looking at the idle air controller. I wonder if its a starter,alternator or fuel pump issue? I don't think anybody on this site has had their problem with this resolved...if you all gain any ground on getting it fixed or getting a new vehicle let me know.

Oh, I did have it reflashed, either it worked for a few months or didn't work at all, this problem is so intermittent right now, who knows?

Last edited by laurar146; 11-13-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2006 | 08:47 AM
I had my truck in on Wednesday. They were able to duplicate the problem and they reprogrammed my PCM. I told them I already had it reflashed and she said its not the same and there were some updates that I needed. I don't know if this will help anybody. Only time will tell if it fixed my truck.

Quick Reply: Truck would not start....