2004 - 2008 F-150

Anybody know a good way to get rid of a headliner??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody know a good way to get rid of a headliner??

Well ... to make a long story short, if your truck did not come w/ the DVD Prep Pkg then I DO NOT recommend trying to install a factory DVD system.

I have one in now (Factory Rear Seat Entertainment System) ... but only after installing a NEW headliner amoungst other aggravations.

Why a new headliner? Well ... I have the Audiophile system, so I was told that all I would need is a new harness to be able to get the factory DVD. So off I go and buy the new DVD harness and the Rear Seat Entertainment System. The harness turned out to be THE COMPLETE overhead harness ... not just a wire that plugs in somewhere and runs straight to the DVD. Well, Ford glues the harness to the headliner and there "ain't no gett'n it a-loose"!!! So, since I had rougly $1200 buck-a-roo's in DVD stuff already ... I said what the heck and got a new headliner and glued the new DVD harness in just like Ford does.

Now I'm left with a Super-Crew "Sport Medium Flint" headliner (out of 2005). It's complete w/ a non-DVD harness, the overhead rails, and the mounting brackets. It's not perfect ... I managed to put two small cuts (3/8" long) in the cloth material next to each rail. The cuts could be covered up with accessory storage compartments if enough were installed. The box is too big to go UPS, etc. so I don't know what to do with this thing now! I'd hate to just throw it away, my truck only had 2K miles on it when I pulled it.

Anybody have any ideas of how I could get rid of this???

Last edited by 98SurplusExpy; 10-15-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
EBay or the classifieds maybe? You might catch hell trying to ship it though, I've sold and shipped stuff before, but never nothing as big as a headliner.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should take some thorough pics of how you installed/removed it.

Old 10-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
You should take some thorough pics of how you installed/removed it.
That's the "other aggravations" part .... you have to remove the back glass (14 nut's and some 8mm Foam Butyl tape) to get it out of a S-Crew. It ain't fun, trust me. I was so frustrated when I did it that I didn't even bother w/ the instructional pics.

I was thinking that maybe someone could use the rail set-up more than the headliner itself.

Old 10-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Yeah, the rail system is worth something, and wouldn't rack up the shipping.
I'm looking at them on e-bay, several a week, prices all over the map.

Classified here are pretty nice now that they've been upgraded.
Chris

Old 10-15-2005, 10:12 PM
You can ship that ...

Old 10-16-2005, 01:29 AM
I wish it were tan. If so, I'd take it off your hands. Mine's in poor shape on my truck, since I cut a bunch of holes in it to find the DVD harness. I covered the holes up with the Metro Package I got from work. SO you can't see them, but if I turn it in at lease end and they happen to take those bins off, watch out!

Old 10-16-2005, 11:12 AM
I would love the rails Let me know.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Aquatic
I would love the rails Let me know.
Replied to your email ... let me know.

Old 10-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Well ... I ended up putting it all on eBay & 7-days later I still have it. No bids.

Guess I'll take the rail system off and take the headliner to the salvage yard. If they don't want it then it'll be heading to the dump!

Old 10-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Saw it, but with no compartments it just wasn't worth it to me. Just let one go for 75 + 25 shipping with a compartment.
How hard is it to pull the headliner in this truck, anyway?
Chris

Old 10-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Yeah ... I ended up with it this way because the replacement headliner I got from Ford came with the rail system already on it. So, I re-used my compartments, fixtures, etc. and now I have the "bare" old system. Wish I could move it .... I'd hate to give it "all" to the salvage guy.

In the S-Crew, it's VERY HARD to pull the headliner and I don't really recommend doing it. It involves pulling all the A, B, & C Pillar trim, removing the rear seat back, and the worst part ... removing the back glass. I have a shop manual, so I "did it by the book" ... but there's no other way to get it out, it's just to big.

All for a factory DVD player .... sheez, if I would'a known I would'a said "forget it"!

Quick Reply: Anybody know a good way to get rid of a headliner??